General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting a coach.....cost? benefit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-09-16 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4413256

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: RE: Getting a coach.....cost? benefit?
Daffodil - 2012-09-16 8:46 AM

I got a coach when I decided to up to ironman distance races.  I have a job where it can be difficult to follow a cookie cutter plan for a book.  I might have to be at work some days at 6 am and others I might not get home until 9.  Or, I could have to go away to remote sites for a week with no access to a pool and working 12-14 hour days. 

On top of that, I tend to over analyze things and am a worry wort, I wanted to take all planning out of my hands and let my coach figure it out.  I tell him as early as I can what I have coming up work wise and he plans my workouts around them.  He has been coaching people doing ironmans for other 10 years, so I trust him.

My coach charges around $100 per month depending on the level of coaching you want.  I think he was invaluable to me completing my first IM, PBing in the olympic and half ironman distances and taking almost half an hour off my second ironman despite being a much more difficult course (IMFL vs. IMWI).  I should have also PB'd at the half marathon as well, but had a chest infection race day.

I chose my coach based on personality.  There are two coaches in my area that train IM athletes.  I talked to people that were coached by both and one person I know started with the other coach and switched to my coach half way through.  I also talked with my coach before signing up and I think his personality really suits me.  I am uptight and a perfectionist and he is more laid back.  The other coach is also very results driven, and my goal isn't to make it to Kona or to win my age group, it is to improve on my own times and have fun.  Get to the start line injury free.

X2. I mean, I seriously could have written this post almost word-for-word. Only difference is my coach is a "She" not a "He."

2012-09-16 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4409736

Spring/Woodlands Area

For your specific situation, a coach is a personal decision.  You will likely improve regardless, but (hopefully) a coach would help.  It just might not be "necessary."

My 2 cents (disclaimer - I have a phd in exercise science and am a college professor, including teaching exercise testing and prescription courses).  I do not coach (other than training family and friends) or have a coach, but if I did these are the main considerations I would use:

1. Education is critical, but doesn't have to be formal.  I would rather have someone passionate who learns everything they can about the sport than someone with a phd in exercise physiology.  Some of the minimum things I want them to know - periodization (preferably linear and nonlinear); basics of exercise physiology, biomechanics, and motor learning; appropriate program design for the endurance athlete; risk stratification protocol, including when clients should be referred for a medical exam prior to beginning an exercise program and how client medications affect resting and exercise physiology.  Degrees and certifications are gatekeepers for this, but really only tell you  they could pass a test at some point.  For example, as I've gotten interested in triathlon, I've read extensively about the sports, its culture, and approach to training.  It's not really anything I didn't know, but I want to know how things have been done in this sport.  The education is essentially worthless without...

2. Application.  Can the person take the base knowledge and apply it properly for YOUR unique situation.  I train my parents, husband, and myself very differently.  We all have different goals, and they would not appreciate the training program I have for myself.

3. Liability protection.  Does the individual carry liability insurance?  If there will be in-person training, does the coach carry appropriate first aid provisions - minimum cell phone and a basic first aid kit, preferably an AED if feasible.  I find this one particularly to be indicative of how seriously the person takes what they are doing.  There should be an emergency management plan in place, you should have to sign an informed consent/liability release, and you should be able to see proof of liability insurance as well as CPR and first aid certifications of some sort.

4. Openness.  "Because I said so" is not an answer.  One of my primary goals for people I work with is getting them to understand why they are doing what they are.  Your coach should be willing to explain the whys of what you are doing.  If not, that throws up a red flag that they might not have a reason.

5. Philosophy/fit/experience.  How do they approach coaching?  Does it work for you?  Is their philosophy in line with current research?  If not, why?  Have they worked with people like you?  This is especially important if you have any sort of chronic illness or injury.  Most training prepares people to work with the general population - meaning healthy people.  Anything that deviates from that (athlete or illness) has different needs.

6. Value. Quite simply, is the cost worth it?  I have a phd and about 10 years of experience.  For personal training, I would charge at least $75/hr.  Coaching is a different situation because you probably won't work a lot with the coach face to face.  I would want to see specific levels of support spelled out - email/phone contacts, program design, log review, etc.  I would also want several different levels of support, varying from weekly to daily contact.  If you compare it to personal training, $25/hr is pretty cheap.  So $100/month would be at most 5 hrs of work, which would roughly amount to reviewing your logs weekly and adjusting your training plan accordingly and a few email or phone contacts each week.

I always hesitate to weigh in on questions like this, but I hope that is helpful to someone. 

And sorry it's ridiculously long, I guess I've got strong opinions on this.

2012-09-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4413314

User image

Extreme Veteran

apglave - 2012-09-16 9:14 AM

I always hesitate to weigh in on questions like this, but I hope that is helpful to someone. 

That was VERY helpful. Thank you.

And while I don't believe it to be absolutely necessary, I think personal results and experience also make a difference. I would want a coach that has lived through the highs and lows of racing and training, that has lived through the challenges of training and work.

That's what I like about posts from guys like Shane. You know he didn't just read it in a text book. He has been through it.

2012-09-16 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4413257

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
marcag - 2012-09-16 8:46 AM
runninirish - 2012-09-15 6:18 PM

Also, what is a reasonable monthly fee?  Like I said, I've just starting looking around, so I'm getting a feel for it...

A friend asked me to coach him. I agreed. So he asked  me "how much?". I thought I started off "high". "A case of 24 a month". He agreed. Dam, I should have started at 2 cases. I am guessing this is the minimum.

Rookie!  Gotta go with a couple of growlers.  Mix it up my man.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting a coach.....cost? benefit? Rss Feed  

of 2