Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 181

2022-12-05 7:44 AM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us?
Nice work everyone.

Yesterday was #3416. Still fighting a nagging hamstring issue, so I've been keeping the mileage down to 2 or 2.5 most days. Frustrating.

2023-01-05 8:08 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Yesterday was #3447 for 2.5 miles.

I finished out 2022 with only about 1313 miles on the year. I really scaled back over the last couple months due to some nagging hamstring issues. Slowly starting to feel better.

Hope everyone had a great holiday and that your 2023 is off to an excellent start!
2023-02-06 12:22 PM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Congrats Brad!! I had to end my streak towards the end of the year at 205. My Plantar Fasciitis was just getting to bad. I was down to 1-1/2 miles a day just to keep the streak going and was not getting better. So I had some time off.

I am back at it again. just hit 19 days and I am working on building my miles back up slowly. I have a half marathon in March that I am preparing for and hope my PF does flare back up.

Great job and keep Streaking!!!
2023-02-15 8:03 AM
in reply to: TRIMAN413

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by TRIMAN413

Congrats Brad!! I had to end my streak towards the end of the year at 205. My Plantar Fasciitis was just getting to bad. I was down to 1-1/2 miles a day just to keep the streak going and was not getting better. So I had some time off.

I am back at it again. just hit 19 days and I am working on building my miles back up slowly. I have a half marathon in March that I am preparing for and hope my PF does flare back up.

Sorry to hear your streak came to an end. Good luck with the restart!

Yesterday was 3 miles of speed work for #3488.
2023-02-15 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by MSU_Brad
Originally posted by TRIMAN413 Congrats Brad!! I had to end my streak towards the end of the year at 205. My Plantar Fasciitis was just getting to bad. I was down to 1-1/2 miles a day just to keep the streak going and was not getting better. So I had some time off. I am back at it again. just hit 19 days and I am working on building my miles back up slowly. I have a half marathon in March that I am preparing for and hope my PF does flare back up. Great job and keep Streaking!!!
Sorry to hear your streak came to an end. Good luck with the restart! Yesterday was 3 miles of speed work for #3488.

Sounds like the hammy is getting better.  Nice!

2023-02-15 3:05 PM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH

Sorry to hear your streak came to an end. Good luck with the restart!

Yesterday was 3 miles of speed work for #3488.

Great Job!! Keep it up!!!

2023-02-17 7:59 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by TRIMAN413 Congrats Brad!! I had to end my streak towards the end of the year at 205. My Plantar Fasciitis was just getting to bad. I was down to 1-1/2 miles a day just to keep the streak going and was not getting better. So I had some time off. I am back at it again. just hit 19 days and I am working on building my miles back up slowly. I have a half marathon in March that I am preparing for and hope my PF does flare back up. Great job and keep Streaking!!!
Sorry to hear your streak came to an end. Good luck with the restart! Yesterday was 3 miles of speed work for #3488.

Sounds like the hammy is getting better.  Nice!

Still nagging, but it is manageable. I want to get back up to half marathon distance, but I'm not sure it is ready for that yet. I won't deny that I've given consideration to ending this streak many times lately to rest it and try to reset this problem, but I am tantalizingly close to 10 years. It is going to be really hard to let this streak go someday no matter what, as it is just part of my every day life, but damn, thinking about ending it before 10 years seems ridiculous.

2023-04-17 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Yesterday was #3549 - 507 weeks.
2023-05-16 8:50 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
This morning was #3579. Creeping ever closer to 10 years.

I just got back from a week and a half long trip to Africa, going through South Africa, the Victoria Falls area in Zambia and Zimbabwe, and Chobe National Park in Botswana. It was definitely interesting to get some runs there...I was worried about keeping the streak going through this trip, but it wasn't much of an issue. The only really inconvenience was having to get in a short run shortly after arriving at our hotel in South Africa the first evening following about 22 hours of travel.

Trying to start getting my runs in earlier in the morning now that the sun is rising so much earlier and it is a little warmer. I live really close to the local high school, and my favorite route takes me by their parking lot...lets just say I don't feel that comfortable running on road shoulders or even through the parking lot entryway sidewalk with distracted teen drivers around, so I have usually been waiting until after the school day starts to run. Now I'll be able to get them done before most of the kids head in to school for the next few weeks until they go on summer break.
2023-05-26 7:21 AM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Great job Brad!! Keep it up!! Sounds like an incredible trip. Glad you were able to keep the streak going.

I have fallen off my streak again. Starting to think that my body is just not built for streak running. This time I was sidelined with what I think was a stress fracture. I took 5 weeks off with no running at all. That was a lot harder than I though. Really was missing running during that time. I am slowly getting back at it but taking it really easy to make sure I didn't come back too soon.
2023-05-30 3:01 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Great job Brad!! Keep it up!! Sounds like an incredible trip. Glad you were able to keep the streak going.

I have fallen off my streak again. Starting to think that my body is just not built for streak running. This time I was sidelined with what I think was a stress fracture. I took 5 weeks off with no running at all. That was a lot harder than I though. Really was missing running during that time. I am slowly getting back at it but taking it really easy to make sure I didn't come back too soon.

Sorry to read about your stress fracture. Certainly getting a streak going is pretty tough, and has to be done with a lot of care. It just doesn't work for everyone. I know a LOT of my runs early in my streak were no more than the minimum; heck, I've certainly pulled back in the last year and have done a lot more of the "just get it done" run than in the previous few years before that.

This morning was #3593 with 4 miles of intervals. I have my first sprint tri this Saturday, and then another the following Saturday. I'll get through them just fine, but I don't at all feel ready and probably won't be as competitive as I would like. I never really worry about placing, because you can't control who else will be there on any given day, but I don't like feeling that I am not at my peak, and my time will probably be pretty far off the last couple of years. Oh well, life gets in the way sometimes I suppose!

2023-07-28 3:11 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Today marked #3652, or 10 years of running every single day. I haven't taken the time to add up how many miles I have gone in that timeframe, but I will do so next week at some point. I'd take a guess that my overall average per day over that whole time is over 3 miles per day. There were a few years where I was averaging well over 4 per day, but early on I usually just did 2 per day.

Rough stats:
- 1 full marathon
- 8 half marathons
- 1 Half Ironman (Frankfort, Michigan 2021)
- Rough guess of 40-50 other triathlons, and a handful of 5Ks / 10Ks
- I've run in 35 different states in that period...and visited 36. We drove through Tennessee one day, but I had already run that morning in North Carolina and didn't think to stop and get another run to count the state.
- I counted 6 countries on 3 continents - North America (USA and The Bahamas), Oceania - French Polynesia (we covered Moorea, Bora Bora, and Tahiti), and Africa - South Africa, Botswana, and Zambia

I started out generally as a post work runner, and then at some point before the pandemic switched to being generally a lunch runner. Once the pandemic hit, I became mostly a morning runner. I'm never going to be an early morning guy, but I do prefer having them done in the morning now so I can do other things after work.

Over this span, I've run at 12:01AM to get my run in on what is going to be a crazy busy day. I've done many 4:00AM runs before heading to an airport. Recently, I got off a 15 hour flight from Atlanta to Cape Town, South Africa and immediately got in a run at my hotel to beat the clock by a few hours. I think my latest start time for keeping the streak alive was 11:36PM after an exhausting day many years ago.

I can also say that I have indeed had way too many beers a couple times and ended up going for a very zig zaggy wobbly run.

I'm currently sitting at #510 on the Streak Runners International list, and I am just graduating into what they call their Experienced category - 10 years to <15 years. That group encompasses #206 through #509 until they add me to it.

My guess is that I will get up tomorrow and keep it going, but if not, 10 years has been a hell of a "run".

2023-07-28 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Congratulations, Brad.  That's an awesome achievement. 

2023-07-29 4:25 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
I can't imagine how many times over the last ten years something was getting in the way of keeping the streak going but you went running anyway. How many sore throats/lousy weather days/jet lags/etc./etc..? Mentally tough!

This milestone is a great inspiration for the rest of us..congratulations.

2023-07-31 7:55 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by alltom1

I can't imagine how many times over the last ten years something was getting in the way of keeping the streak going but you went running anyway. How many sore throats/lousy weather days/jet lags/etc./etc..? Mentally tough!

Thanks!

The funny thing is that it just became second nature. There were definitely a few times in there where I wished I didn't have to run on a given day, but not necessarily on the types of days you listed.

Sore throats / being sick - sure, those suck, but I would take them real easy and use them as a distraction, in a way. I can remember early on in the streak feeling so crappy once (I think it was the flu) that I would run for a quarter mile and then sit down for a few minutes, and repeat. I probably really wanted to quit that day, but most of the rest, not really. I figured that even if I was going slow, it is not much more than 20 minutes out of the day.

Jet lag / travel stuff - I would nearly obsess about upcoming trips, especially big ones (French Polynesia, Africa), to the point where I would have it all planned out and would know how it was going to go long before the trip arrived. Sure, I might be tired on arrival, but I would look at is a bit of recovery / adaptation after traveling.

Lousy weather - Sometimes I would enjoy the challenge of running in the weather, or trying to beat the storm. Outside that, I had memberships to a few different gyms over the last 10 years, so generally weather wasn't an issue since I could just go run on a treadmill. I even paid extra for one membership for a while because it gave me keycard access to enter the building at anytime, rather than just regular gym hours. The last few years, we had a treadmill in the house. The closest I came to snapping the streak due to weather was early on. There was a bad snowstorm which accumulated a lot of snow in a short period, and roads became dangerous to travel. This was in the period where I was generally running after work. I ended up having to work a bit late, and by the time I tried to pull in to the YMCA, they had already closed for the worker's safety. My secondary gym also closed right as I pulled up to the building. So at about 8:00PM, in driving snow, I went out and ran 2 miles along sidewalks on the nearby major road. I was running through a couple feet of snow. I think that was easily my slowest run of the entire streak so far by some time. Very very hard work just to keep moving forward, but it was worth a good story!

The day after my only marathon was one where I really wanted to quit. I had such bad plantar fascitis during the second half of the marathon (side story - the first half was a PR for me at the time, and then it took me over an hour longer to do the last 13.1 miles than it did the first due to how painful it was). It was about all I could do to get out the door and trudge out a couple miles.

Mostly, the days you want to quit are just something mental, like man, wouldn't it be nice to get up and watch college gameday and then sit on the couch watching football from noon until midnight? Or a terrible day at work and a happy hour with your friends sounds great...moving to morning runs eliminated those post work concerns for the most part.

Either way, sorry for writing a novel here. It was actually kind of fun to start reminiscing about the good days and bad days!
2023-08-02 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Momentous. Congratulations! Second you on the second nature thing. It slides into the morning routine, right before shower and shave.

Originally posted by alltom1

Thanks!

The funny thing is that it just became second nature. There were definitely a few times in there where I wished I didn't have to run on a given day, but not necessarily on the types of days you listed.

Sore throats / being sick - sure, those suck, but I would take them real easy and use them as a distraction, in a way. I can remember early on in the streak feeling so crappy once (I think it was the flu) that I would run for a quarter mile and then sit down for a few minutes, and repeat. I probably really wanted to quit that day, but most of the rest, not really. I figured that even if I was going slow, it is not much more than 20 minutes out of the day.

Jet lag / travel stuff - I would nearly obsess about upcoming trips, especially big ones (French Polynesia, Africa), to the point where I would have it all planned out and would know how it was going to go long before the trip arrived. Sure, I might be tired on arrival, but I would look at is a bit of recovery / adaptation after traveling.

Lousy weather - Sometimes I would enjoy the challenge of running in the weather, or trying to beat the storm. Outside that, I had memberships to a few different gyms over the last 10 years, so generally weather wasn't an issue since I could just go run on a treadmill. I even paid extra for one membership for a while because it gave me keycard access to enter the building at anytime, rather than just regular gym hours. The last few years, we had a treadmill in the house. The closest I came to snapping the streak due to weather was early on. There was a bad snowstorm which accumulated a lot of snow in a short period, and roads became dangerous to travel. This was in the period where I was generally running after work. I ended up having to work a bit late, and by the time I tried to pull in to the YMCA, they had already closed for the worker's safety. My secondary gym also closed right as I pulled up to the building. So at about 8:00PM, in driving snow, I went out and ran 2 miles along sidewalks on the nearby major road. I was running through a couple feet of snow. I think that was easily my slowest run of the entire streak so far by some time. Very very hard work just to keep moving forward, but it was worth a good story!

The day after my only marathon was one where I really wanted to quit. I had such bad plantar fascitis during the second half of the marathon (side story - the first half was a PR for me at the time, and then it took me over an hour longer to do the last 13.1 miles than it did the first due to how painful it was). It was about all I could do to get out the door and trudge out a couple miles.

Mostly, the days you want to quit are just something mental, like man, wouldn't it be nice to get up and watch college gameday and then sit on the couch watching football from noon until midnight? Or a terrible day at work and a happy hour with your friends sounds great...moving to morning runs eliminated those post work concerns for the most part.

Either way, sorry for writing a novel here. It was actually kind of fun to start reminiscing about the good days and bad days!

2023-08-02 8:11 AM
in reply to: mrheathen

User image

Extreme Veteran
#2922 - Eight years and one day. I don't have any momentous running achievements during the streak. Indeed, Runkeeper says I've done a paltry 5675 miles in that time. That said, starting a new streak helped pull me out of the worst year and has sustained me through mostly great but occasionally terrible times. Thank to those who were here before and those of you still around.
2023-08-03 7:26 AM
in reply to: mrheathen

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by mrheathen

#2922 - Eight years and one day. I don't have any momentous running achievements during the streak. Indeed, Runkeeper says I've done a paltry 5675 miles in that time. That said, starting a new streak helped pull me out of the worst year and has sustained me through mostly great but occasionally terrible times. Thank to those who were here before and those of you still around.
I was wondering if you were still going! Congratulations on crossing the 8 year mark!!!

2024-01-24 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Well I am at it again. LOL!! I just hit a 31 day running streak. Have no idea how far I will go. Will still love to hit the 1 year mark at least. Who knows though.
Brad I see your still at it. Congrats on breaking the top 50 on the registry. I hope you keep going!!
Not sure if Mrheathen is still at it or not.
This thread is pretty much dead but I thought I would let people know I am still watching their streaks and hoping to continue mine as well.

Chris
2024-01-26 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Well I am at it again. LOL!! I just hit a 31 day running streak. Have no idea how far I will go. Will still love to hit the 1 year mark at least. Who knows though.
Brad I see your still at it. Congrats on breaking the top 50 on the registry. I hope you keep going!!
This thread is pretty much dead but I thought I would let people know I am still watching their streaks and hoping to continue mine as well.

Chris

Welcome back to the lunacy of a streak! Hopefully you stay healthy this time!

I am still going, but damn, I came incredibly close to the streak being over at the end of November. Back in the summer, at a visit to the dentist, they found a mass in the roof of my mouth. The dentist referred me to an oral surgeon, who did a biopsy in October (and convinced me to have my wisdom teeth out at the time). The scary part came a week later. I was in an airport about to fly back home from a work trip and received a call from the oral surgeon, who told me his initial diagnosis was a low grade cancer, and referred me to a different oral surgeon who handles that specific type of thing. I can tell you that I had an appointment set up with him before I even boarded the plane. Luckily, a week later on the morning of my appointment, the initial surgeon called back and said that after a second opinion from a lab, it wasn't cancerous and was instead a benign tumor. I still needed to have it removed, though, as it could turn cancerous if left to grow.

I ended up having surgery on November 30 to have the mass removed. I got in my 2 miles at about 4:30AM that morning, figuring I wouldn't be able to do so after the surgery. Of course while prepping for the surgery, the doctor told me I wouldn't be able to exercise for at least 2 weeks. My wife looked at me and saw the concern on my face. I was upset, but was trying to accept it.

I wasn't in much pain after the surgery, so I was just sitting around the next day. The stress was growing on me all day long about losing the streak. It was probably stupid, but I finally convinced my wife that I could run at a very slow pace. She actually came down to our treadmill to watch me to make sure I did so. I ran 1 mile ultra slow, keeping my heart rate way down, and stopped a few times along the way when it would start to rise. The concern was that the elevated HR could cause bleeding from the surgical site or bust open the stitches. I admit that it was probably a dumb choice, but at the same time, I knew that my HR at such a slow pace would be lower than what many non-athletes would have just moving around.

So for the next two weeks, I repeated the same: 1 mile at a very slow pace, stopping if my HR got up around 120. I know that doesn't meet the parameters of this post (2 miles), but it does for the Running Streak Association. I had my follow up on December 14, all looked good, so I went back to getting in 2 miles per day (or more) and not worrying about my HR.

So, here I am today. I have been picking up the miles and intensity since the start of the year as I ramp up for a Half Ironman in May (IM Gulf Coast 70.3).

Yesterday was a very hard 4 mile run and a pretty long bike, so today was an easy 2 miles this morning for day #3834.

2024-01-26 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Glad all is well, Brad.  That must have been frightening.  I also had my wisdom teeth extracted later in life (at 30) and that wasn't fun.  And The Streak continues!!!

2024-01-28 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member

Chris

Welcome back to the lunacy of a streak! Hopefully you stay healthy this time!

I am still going, but damn, I came incredibly close to the streak being over at the end of November. Back in the summer, at a visit to the dentist, they found a mass in the roof of my mouth. The dentist referred me to an oral surgeon, who did a biopsy in October (and convinced me to have my wisdom teeth out at the time). The scary part came a week later. I was in an airport about to fly back home from a work trip and received a call from the oral surgeon, who told me his initial diagnosis was a low grade cancer, and referred me to a different oral surgeon who handles that specific type of thing. I can tell you that I had an appointment set up with him before I even boarded the plane. Luckily, a week later on the morning of my appointment, the initial surgeon called back and said that after a second opinion from a lab, it wasn't cancerous and was instead a benign tumor. I still needed to have it removed, though, as it could turn cancerous if left to grow.

I ended up having surgery on November 30 to have the mass removed. I got in my 2 miles at about 4:30AM that morning, figuring I wouldn't be able to do so after the surgery. Of course while prepping for the surgery, the doctor told me I wouldn't be able to exercise for at least 2 weeks. My wife looked at me and saw the concern on my face. I was upset, but was trying to accept it.

I wasn't in much pain after the surgery, so I was just sitting around the next day. The stress was growing on me all day long about losing the streak. It was probably stupid, but I finally convinced my wife that I could run at a very slow pace. She actually came down to our treadmill to watch me to make sure I did so. I ran 1 mile ultra slow, keeping my heart rate way down, and stopped a few times along the way when it would start to rise. The concern was that the elevated HR could cause bleeding from the surgical site or bust open the stitches. I admit that it was probably a dumb choice, but at the same time, I knew that my HR at such a slow pace would be lower than what many non-athletes would have just moving around.

So for the next two weeks, I repeated the same: 1 mile at a very slow pace, stopping if my HR got up around 120. I know that doesn't meet the parameters of this post (2 miles), but it does for the Running Streak Association. I had my follow up on December 14, all looked good, so I went back to getting in 2 miles per day (or more) and not worrying about my HR.

So, here I am today. I have been picking up the miles and intensity since the start of the year as I ramp up for a Half Ironman in May (IM Gulf Coast 70.3).

Yesterday was a very hard 4 mile run and a pretty long bike, so today was an easy 2 miles this morning for day #3834.

Holy cow. I know my mind would run wild with all kinds of worst case scenarios after a phone call like that and waiting for the doctor visit would be agonizing. Very happy you got the diagnosis you did.

It's obvious to me now that the people keeping their streaks alive have probably had to overcome all kinds of wicked obstacles over the years. Well done..
2024-01-31 8:49 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Thanks guys. I was definitely very fortunate.

I hadn't looked at the Running Streak page for a while. I see I am #500 worldwide and #461 in the US. Insane.

Now off to hit the treadmill for #3839.
2024-02-01 8:08 AM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH

Thanks guys. I was definitely very fortunate.

I hadn't looked at the Running Streak page for a while. I see I am #500 worldwide and #461 in the US. Insane.

Now off to hit the treadmill for #3839.

Glad everything turned out OK for you Brad, and the streak continues. I check the run streak site on a regular basis and I always look to see where you are at on it. Get to where you are and it is a slow process increasing your position. Keep up the great work!!!
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  

of 181