Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 181

2014-09-10 6:51 PM
in reply to: ImSore

Subject: RE: 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us?

#684- 2 mi. Training took a back seat to family, also went out for my wife's birthday.

#685- 10.6 mi progression

#686- 4 mi at dusk. Getting dark too early now. I haven't run in the dark since the spring, guess I'll have to give in soon and break out my reflective vest. Also a TON of bugs, I had to run looking down and use the visor of my hat to keep them from flying into my eyes, worked somewhat, but it didn't help so much in keeping me from eating them. Also managed to get a swim in a bit earlier in the day.

#687- 16.2 mi - difficult, but good training run. Got just over 2000 ft of elevation gain with lots of up and down and kept my pace in the upper 7 min/mi range, which is just about where I wanted it. Hopefully I recover well and can get some race pace work in, can't believe how fast the days are flying by.

2014-09-11 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You gotta give yourself more credit, the average running human struggles running from their couch to the john.

If you have to RUN from the couch to the john, you may have planned poorly or made some bad choices.

#204 - 1.3 - Time crunched due to my own poor planning.
#205 - 3.2 - Negative splits under a brilliant waning gibbous. Still too many leaves on the trees for me to go through the woods by the moonlight (I tried).
2014-09-11 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ImSore
Also a TON of bugs, I had to run looking down and use the visor of my hat to keep them from flying into my eyes, worked somewhat, but it didn't help so much in keeping me from eating them.

I really like running in the swamp preserve nearby, but I haven't been able to since June for just this reason.
2014-09-11 6:30 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Brad, you race ALOT. I get maybe 5 - 6 races in per year, and it seems like you've knocked that off in a month. Nice job on the team race. Also, for your second race, with all that racing experience you should know to always run hard through the finish!!
I just counted, I raced 8 times this summer if I recall correctly. But the big difference is that I race sprints, and you race much longer stuff than I do. I can race and then recover within a few days for a sprint. It's not that bad.

Yes, I have learned my lesson. I did pick it up through the finish, but I certainly didn't give it everything I had because I didn't think anyone was there. Next time, I'll push it across the finish no matter what.

#409 - 2 miles on the treadmill due to a storm that was rolling in when I wanted to run
#410 - 9 miles - the temperatures dropped here today, so I went out to see what I could do. I've still been considering the half marathon in mid/late October, but my longest run recently has been about 7 miles, and I have only had a few that were more than 5. Tonight was a test. I finished okay, although I am sure I will be a little sore later or tomorrow. I actually got faster throughout the run, and ended up with a faster average time for the 9 miles than I did on my 2 mile recovery run on Monday. Per my watch, I averaged about 8:35, which is encouraging to me. I think I am a go for the half marathon.

2014-09-12 8:52 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

New user
#9. 3
#10. 2.5
#11. 3.5
#12. 4

I had some chigger bites about 10 days ago that have turned into cellulitis in my leg. It is swollen, hot, gross looking, painful. I am on a couple of antibiotics so if no worse I will keep running maybe just not as far. I asked and the answer was do whatever you want based on your comfort. I like that answer! It hurts sitting in my chair so I may as well run if it going to hurt anyway.

Hope you guys have a good weekend, great weather here in Memphis!
2014-09-13 7:21 PM

#688- 4 mi

#689- 6.4 mi (cut short planned 8)

#690- 7.5 mi, 3 mile progression/warmup, 3 x 1 mi with 90 sec jog, 1 mi cool down

-have a 0.37 mile trail loop 1 mile from my house, I think I will do most of my speedwork here up to the marathon. It has a nice variety of terrain with some sand and lush grass for a bit of challenge, and a couple of moguls to charge over. I did 2 of my repeats on this at 6:49 then 6:39 min/mi. It got too dark so I did the last repeat on the street and with what felt like the same RPE I was pretty surprised when I saw my last split at 6:03. Over the next few weeks I'd like to add a few more repeats, and maybe throw in some 2 mi repeats.

I'm trying to stay off of asphalt/concrete as much as possible. I am hoping that this decreases injury potential. African runners tend to run on dirt a lot, and they do alright, so maybe there is something to it.

2014-09-14 11:52 AM

User image

Great job everyone. I am still not running, over a week now and it is driving me crazy. I go in for an x-ray tomorrow on my hip to see if I have a stress fracture and may have to have an MRI on it later this week if nothing shows up on the X-ray, damn insurance rules. My puppies are loving my lay off from running though, we usually go for about a 1.5 mile walk most every day but now we are going for 4-8 miles depending on how the hip is feeling that day.

I doubt I will be showing up for my back to back marathons next month, they are 4 weeks away and I am just not progressing very well. I will not run again until I am pain free in this hip, or at least that is what I keep telling myself. If it goes on for much mare than a couple of more weeks I may just have to lace them up against better judgment.
2014-09-14 7:51 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

New user
Originally posted by navbtcret

I will not run again until I am pain free in this hip, or at least that is what I keep telling myself. If it goes on for much mare than a couple of more weeks I may just have to lace them up against better judgment.

Do you enjoy any type of cross training activities? I know it would just be a substitute but you may luck up and find you really like something else. Bike, strength training, swimming, kayaking, etc etc.

#12 4
#13. 5.5
#14. 8.5

I had a much bigger weekend of training planned but stepped back in light of my leg infection and just went out to run for fun. Beautiful cool sunny weather here, had some great runs!
2014-09-15 7:20 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Friday - #411 - 2 miles
Saturday - #412 - 2 miles
Sunday - #413 - 2 miles

First weekend in as long as I can remember where I didn't have something planned and could just sit at home.
2014-09-15 12:18 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

Great job everyone. I am still not running, over a week now and it is driving me crazy. I go in for an x-ray tomorrow on my hip to see if I have a stress fracture and may have to have an MRI on it later this week if nothing shows up on the X-ray, damn insurance rules. My puppies are loving my lay off from running though, we usually go for about a 1.5 mile walk most every day but now we are going for 4-8 miles depending on how the hip is feeling that day.

I doubt I will be showing up for my back to back marathons next month, they are 4 weeks away and I am just not progressing very well. I will not run again until I am pain free in this hip, or at least that is what I keep telling myself. If it goes on for much mare than a couple of more weeks I may just have to lace them up against better judgment.

You already committed to recovery, don't go back on it! Get 100% then get back or you probably will be taking even more time off in the long run (pun intended).
2014-09-15 12:20 PM

#691- 2 mi recovery

#692- 12 mi

- 5 mi progression, 6 mi under marathon pace (6:42 min/mi avg), 1 mi cool down

Gotta love this cool fall weather.

2014-09-16 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Monday - #414 - 3 miles. Wanted to swim afterward, but my gym has had their pool closed for 2 weeks and it was supposed to reopen yesterday. It looks like it is going to be closed for another week instead, so I actually started lifting for the first time in about 9-10 months. I can feel it today.
2014-09-16 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You already committed to recovery, don't go back on it! Get 100% then get back or you probably will be taking even more time off in the long run (pun intended).

I'll second this. Do your exercises, enjoy those walks with the puppies, and get healthy. Healthy miles are also waaaaaaay more fun than injured miles.
2014-09-16 11:37 AM
in reply to: mrheathen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Saturday - 208 - 4.9 - Feed Annapolis 5 Miler - This is my favorite race this year. The course was fun (around downtown Annapolis and then a couple laps around Navy Stadium, I beat my both stated goal and my secret, private goal, and I was faster than 5 men my age. Afterwards, though, participants packed 600 boxes of non-perishable foods for needy families in Annapolis. I hope I get to do more races like this, races that come with an opportunity for service attached.
Sun - 209 - 3.6 - Trails. I love trails.
Mon - 210 - 2.8
Tues - 211 - 2.3 - Considering 211b this afternoon.
2014-09-17 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Tuesday - #415 - 10 miles, although it didn't go that well. I probably needed one more recovery day before trying this. I slowed up to a walk for a minute or two at about 7.5 miles, and then ran again until 9 miles, at which point I walked the final mile home. I blame some of it on Monday being my first day of lifting and a tough core session after the lift, which I hadn't done in ages.

Not feeling too bad today, at least.
2014-09-18 7:51 AM

User image

New user
#15 5 miles
#16 5 miles
#17 2 miles

I did my 2 miles right at dark after playing an hour of tennis with my 19 yo nephew, what a blast!!!! I haven't played tennis in many a year and figured I would totally suck. I didn't! He is in pretty good shape but I had him sweating by the end of it. That was a great experience to share with him and tennis may now be added to my cross training list!
This streaking has kept me running on a couple of days so far when I probably wouldn't have. Like last night I would not have run after playing, I would have just told myself I had exercised, it was almost dark etc etc.

Mary

2014-09-18 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Way to keep it going, Mary. Last night was a similar night for me. It was so nice outside, I decided to grab my mountain bike and drive out to a park for some fun on the trails. Unfortunately, I didn't get there until almost 6:30 and spent an hour or so on the trail. I had the top down on the Jeep for the drive there and back (30 minutes each way), so by the time I got home and put the top on, plus having dead legs from Tuesday's long effort, there's no way I would've normally gone out for a short run if not for the streak. Even when I did it, it was probably my second slowest run in the last year. Oh well, I still got it in.

Wednesday - #416 - 2 miles
2014-09-19 2:57 PM

User image

New user
Brad, I imagine you have had Many of those occasions with a streak the length of yours.

What would you say has been the hardest challenge you have overcome to keep your streak going?
(Anyone can answer)

I have a big weekend of training planned, 80 mile ride tomorrow, 2 mile run after, and 18 mile run Sunday. Not sure how that will go but I'm excited to give it a whirl!

#18 4 miles
2014-09-19 4:40 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by Chunga

Brad, I imagine you have had Many of those occasions with a streak the length of yours.

What would you say has been the hardest challenge you have overcome to keep your streak going?
(Anyone can answer)

I have a big weekend of training planned, 80 mile ride tomorrow, 2 mile run after, and 18 mile run Sunday. Not sure how that will go but I'm excited to give it a whirl!

#18 4 miles

Mary - My toughest day was January 1, 2014. I am from Michigan, and had traveled out to the LA area to watch my beloved Spartans in the Rose Bowl. We had plans on being at the football stadium by about 4:45AM California time, which meant I was getting up about 3:30AM. We went out to celebrate NYE the night before, and I got back to the hotel just a little before midnight with a bunch of beers in me!

I got up a little late the next morning, so I didn't have time to run before we left the hotel. I put on my running clothes and shoes for the drive over the the stadium. As soon as we got parked to tailgate, my buddies got out of the car and cracked their first beers. I took off running around the USC campus until I hit a mile, and then turned to retrace my path back to our car. I finished my 2 mile run right back at the trunk of our rental car, and as soon as I came to a stop, I opened the cooler and popped the top on my first beer of the morning. Most of my buddies thought I was nuts, but I wasn't about to give up the streak that morning...how could I give up a streak on a day when most resolutions are going to start?!?

Thursday - #417 - 3 miles
2014-09-19 8:19 PM

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Tuesday - #415 - 10 miles, although it didn't go that well. I probably needed one more recovery day before trying this. I slowed up to a walk for a minute or two at about 7.5 miles, and then ran again until 9 miles, at which point I walked the final mile home. I blame some of it on Monday being my first day of lifting and a tough core session after the lift, which I hadn't done in ages.

Good job getting it done. Two good runs between the 9 miler and the 10 milers, when is the HM again?
2014-09-19 8:22 PM

Originally posted by mrheathen

Saturday - 208 - 4.9 - Feed Annapolis 5 Miler - This is my favorite race this year. The course was fun (around downtown Annapolis and then a couple laps around Navy Stadium, I beat my both stated goal and my secret, private goal, and I was faster than 5 men my age. Afterwards, though, participants packed 600 boxes of non-perishable foods for needy families in Annapolis. I hope I get to do more races like this, races that come with an opportunity for service attached.
Sun - 209 - 3.6 - Trails. I love trails.
Mon - 210 - 2.8
Tues - 211 - 2.3 - Considering 211b this afternoon.

Nice job beating your goals in your race. I try to have secret goals, but I end up going on record to try to motivate myself to reach them.

I also am a big fan of trails, I could do all trail running if I had the option. I can run 1 mile to get on a very short trail loop, 2.5 miles for some good "real" trails with some tough spots, or I've lately been getting in my car and driving about 25 minutes to get to a park I really like to run in.

2014-09-19 8:43 PM

Originally posted by Chunga

(Anyone can answer)

#18 4 miles

Logistically:

I took a trip to China last year. There was a 12 hour time difference, and I wanted to keep the streak both on the time in the US and the time in China. So I ended up doing a bunch of doubles between all my traveling since noon was actually midnight back home. So if I ran in the morning of one day, I had to run in the evening or the morning of the next day (it was confusing!). I was also training for a marathon at the time, so some of my runs weren't easy.

I also had an overnight layover with the flight there and had to run on the treadmill at the airport hotel for 2 miles, and I didn't have a change of clothes. I ran very slow and tried not to sweat, especially since I would be wearing the same clothes for the flight. So basically, before I left for the airport I ran, showered, and got in the car. And the day I left China, I literally finished my run, RAN back into the house where I was staying, showered in about 2 minutes, grabbed my bags and hopped in the car to go to the airport. 14 hour flights, sitting at the airport, and getting too and from the airport can take a lot of time out of the day. I was prepared to go for a jog in the terminal if I had to. I wore running sneakers.

Physically:

The morning after my two IMs. Those were tough.

#693- 10 mi trails, lots of up and down

#694- 2 mi, unplanned recovery day. Between getting stuck late at work, food shopping, back to school night for my daughter and getting back home way too hungry to consider any significant workout, I did a quick 2 miles.

#695- 7.25 mi , I still need to fit in a long run this week somehow, but this was a solid workout, very challenging. Got home after dark and did it on the treadmill. 2 mile warmup, 4 x 1 mi intervals at 6:40 min/mi, 6:27 min/mi, 6:15 min/mi, and 5:56 min/mi. The last one was tough! Got nervous near the end because my legs were getting a bit rubbery. Did 0.25 mi recovery jog at 10 min/mi pace between each interval. 1/2 mile cool down.
2014-09-19 10:04 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Good job getting it done. Two good runs between the 9 miler and the 10 milers, when is the HM again?

Haven't signed up yet, but I will. It is Oct 19 for the Grand Rapids Half (and full) Marathon.

Unofficial goal: 1:49:59. Only if everything goes perfect...not going to be bummed if I don't hit this, but the fact on my first 9 miler I rolled out 8:35s without a major issue, I think I have an outside shot. Would take 8:23 min/mile (7.15 mph)
Official goal: 1:59:59. I was well on my way to this in my only previous HM (2012), until plantar fasciitis issues took me *way* down at about the 10 mile mark. Finished about 2:01.

Friday - #418 - 2 miles. Will be doing my Sat run at about 4:45AM, so it is bedtime now!
2014-09-20 3:50 PM

User image

New user
Great stories about getting runs in! Very inspiring stuff. I like how this streaking takes the decision out of the day? No question if I will run, just how much and when. Did a long bike this morning, gonna settle for 2 today with a long run tomorrow.

Enjoy your day everyone! I feel a nap coming on......
2014-09-21 6:52 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Sunday - #420 - 2 miles
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  

of 181