Richmond Area Bicycle Association
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 42m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a ride, not a race. It's always nice to do something this long supported. And I needed it this time!
Event warmup:

Metric century start was about 8:30. I arrived at 8:20 and went to get my packet. Heard the fifes and drums playing. I got back and started getting ready. Pumped up my tires and then - the valve stem came off my rear tube! Gah! So I hurriedly changed the tube, got the rest of my stuff together and headed out at 8:54.
Bike
  • 3h 42m 24s
  • 53.65 miles
  • 14.47 mile/hr
Comments:

At first I was freaked out about missing turns because I was on my own. Until I figured out to follow the green arrows. The course was VERY well marked. There was a pretty significant hill right off the bat. 6 miles in, I got a flat in the rear again. Figures! I don't know if it was my fault or the tube was old. I called support, but even as I was talking to them a SAG vehicle pulled up. They drove me to the first rest stop (10 miles), picking up a guy with a broken spoke on the way. There, hubby met me with two new tubes. I let the SAG guy change my tube while baby nursed. Then I headed out. The next 16 miles were quite hilly, on the way up to AP Hill and then stopped at the Caroline Library for the next rest. I was feeling behind and wanting to draft - it was windy. But either I was dropping ppl quickly or getting dropped quickly. Headed out right behind a big group. As soon as we turned south on 601, it was gorgeous easy peasy gentle downhill for miles! I was drafting one fast tri woman with aerobars for a while, but then she stopped to take pictures of the horses! The miles went quickly, until about a mile out from the rest stop, there was a brutal hill. I saw SAG buddy there; he had gotten his spoke fixed and was doing well. I was feeling pretty beat. Sat down and ate two pb&j, oranges, and a lot of gatorade. Headed out with 13 miles to go. Found a really good pack to ride with. Was ahead of them a while, and then 3 miles from the end they dropped me. I think the course went uphill a little then. I had very little left. My knees were sore and my legs tight. I don't know how it would have gone if I had done the full 63... So I'm still happy with riding for almost 4 hrs, even if it was less than planned.
What would you do differently?:

Wear sunscreen on my shoulders!!!! What was I thinking??
Post race
Warm down:

Texted hubby but then discovered the bar-b-que. Chowed down! Felt so good to sit on a chair and put my legs up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight plus not much time in the saddle since having baby.

Event comments:

This is a fun ride and very well supported, with lots of SAG and great rest stops, well stocked with fruit, bagels, sandwiches, even homemade cookies!

Last updated: 2012-06-21 12:00 AM
Biking
03:42:24 | 53.65 miles | 14.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A figure 8 going north from hanover to bowling green and back; first half quite hilly, second half lots of gentle downhill. Some short yet significant portions on scary roads like 301 and 207. Rest stops at mile 16, 32, and 51.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-15 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: Heart of Virginia Metric Century

2012-09-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4412801

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Heart of Virginia Metric Century
Apparently this was the weekend of the broken valve stems and multiple flats! I had the same happen to me at the RTC tri. Sounds like it worked out OK for you - I'm glad! I need to plan my races better next year, because I'd like to do this one again. Sounds like you had a good ride.
2012-09-18 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4412801

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Heart of Virginia Metric Century
Amazing the you are biking metric centuries and figuring out how to nurse the baby!  I don't know how you do it!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of Virginia Metric Century Rss Feed