General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2012-09-17 1:06 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Hello, fellow BT members and welcome to the "Official Ironman Wisconsin (Moo)" thread for 9/8/2013!

Please introduce yourself and add whatever you like to this discussion/b.s. thread session!

Since I started this thread, here we go (copying some of the information from this past year's official thread):

Name: 1stTimeTri.  Real name Phil.

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2007 and IMWI 2009

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? It's in my 'hood, and I have been a volunteer or participant since 2004!  I absolutely LOF this venue!

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? If health, family, and everything else comes to BALANCE, than I hope to surpass my past times and have a great PR!

What are you most looking forward to? Making it to the race with no injuries, staying balanced, having great weather, and taking in the race as much as I can, and then have a great PR!  (No, I'm not asking for much).

Veterans any advice you can give early on? From the last year's first poster, so thank you for this line:
"If it is your first time, soak it all in from the day you signed up until you cross that line, don't kill yourself with a time goal, rather just embrace everything that is Ironman Wisconsin. YOU ONLY GET ONE FIRST IRONMAN!!!"
I would add this - don't be afraid to ask questions.  You won't know until you do.

EEEEAAAAWWWW to my fellow Donkai that will be racing, too!!!

2012-09-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4414876

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread 2013!
Thread is for IM Moo 2013.
2012-09-17 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Hey everyone my name is Tony and this will be my first IM. I don't really think it's sunk in yet that I am actually going to attempt to do this but I am sure reality will hit home pretty soon. In any case I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here and am pretty excited to get the journey started.

Name: strikyr.  Real name Tony.

What is your Ironman resume? First timer!

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I chose Wisconsin for a bunch of different reasons. It's an awesome venue with awesome crowd support. It's also one of the more challenging IM's. Since it's in early September and me being from NY it will allow me to make the most of spring and summer to train and prepare for it and last but not least is there another IM event with a better finish then Wisconsin, I think not!

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? I just want to finish in the best time that I can, whatever that may be. I also
want to enjoy the journey from start to finish. It's gonna be a long year I want to enjoy the ride and chase the dream.

What are you most looking forward to? Two things, treading water in Lake Monona right before the start taking it all in before the cannon fires and hopefully being able to survive the day and possibly the night to waltz down the chute to that awesome Madison finish.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? I'm a rookie so nothing to offer here but I am hoping to get lot's of this from all the vets out there cause I'm gonna need it.

2012-09-18 8:03 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY

Let's get this party started (again).

Name: LazyMarathoner.  Real name Kristin.

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI trilogy: 2009, 2010, 2011. I was the "boot girl" in 2009, raced with a torn PF. It's been getting better and better since Also did Ironman Lake Placid 2010.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? My family lives right off Capitol Square so I can sleep in a real bed and walk to the start and finish. Madison isn't my home town but it's my secondary hometown so I love racing there. Plus the course is phenomenal. Really challenging, really beautiful, and uniquely clustered around towns so the spectators are the best. I think it has the best spirit and race atmosphere of most IM races.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? It's really too soon to say. I had to take this year off entirely so I'm in atrocious shape, plus I may make 2013 another two Ironman year so I'll set goals in the spring. But as always I want to love the day no matter what. And I will.

What are you most looking forward to? Getting on my bike again. I have missed it this year.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Take it seriously in the sense that you do the training and take care of your body. But don't take it so seriously that you miss the magic in it. I wish it hadn't taken a torn plantar fascia for me to realize that. Ironman is such an incredible experience. You don't want to miss a moment.

Edited by LazyMarathoner 2012-09-18 8:04 AM
2012-09-18 1:31 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Kristin - you better not have that boot on this year.
2012-09-18 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

I started the sport of triathlon's in 2010 and have continued to progress over the last 2 years.  I've been able to enjoy my progression along with my wife who also signed up for IMWI.  I've always wanted to complete an IM with my wife and I know training will be difficult but it's a journey that we're both looking forward to. 

Name: Eric

What is your Ironman resume? First time

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?   The bike course is in my backyard and I'd be foolish not to take advantage of the training grounds to prepare for IMWI.  Plus the fan support is ridiculous.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013?  I'd really like to know that I gave it my all for IMWI and did not leave anything on the course.  I'd like to have a good, strong race and finish well.

What are you most looking forward to?  The entire day.  I hear that the day of the ironman is not the hard part, it's the training that leads up to it.  I'm also looking forward to the strides that I gain from the training I will put in over the next year.  I feel that I've already improved a lot over the last 2 years.  I can't imagine how the next year dedicated to training will improve my overall fitness level

Veterans any advice you can give early on?  None from the rookie except to bike the course!  I will be on the course many times over the course of the next year.

2012-09-18 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)

Name: julio26pt2.  Real name Dave

What is your Ironman resume? N/A - This will be my first

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? It's been a dream for years!  I was planning on doing Florida 2011, but found myself really hurt (like needing neck surgery hurt).  Well, I'm back and better than ever before!  Wisconsin is within driving distance from Chicago.  Plus, it's just a badass venue!!!!!!

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? Finish before 16:59:10 (don't want to cut it too close to cutoff)

What are you most looking forward to? The training and getting into better shape.  I'm not in horrible shape, but I enjoy training and am looking forward to having such a major goal!

2012-09-18 3:32 PM

Name: pnelson/Peter

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2005, 2007 (10:42 PR, 143 overall), 2009, 2011...2013

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Graduated from Verona, live in Madison, weekly recon rides and runs for a decade...and sleeping in my own bed on race day.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? Avenge my 2011 DNF (first DNF in four IMs), then the same goals as always (in order of importance):

1) Finish

2) Sub-12

3) Sub-11

4) PR (break 2007 10:42 PR)

5) Sub-10:30

What are you most looking forward to? Finishing, hopefully in daylight.  Seeing people stream into Madison leading up to the race and out after a successful weekend...love the atmosphere the entire weekend.  Climbing hills during the race.  Aimless/idle chitchat/encouragement during the race

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Finish in daylight, much more enjoyable...just finish before midnight.  Don't anger the locals, I don't want to get run over the next time I come through or have this great race discontinued.  Spend lots and lots of money...and leave some beer for the rest of us. 

Let me know if anyone has any broad or specific questions the last week of training.  I've lived in the Madison area for 20+ years and experience Ironman.

2012-09-18 4:55 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)

Name: Mrsolis / Mauricio

What is your Ironman resume? IMAZ'10, IMCOZ'11, IMCAN'12

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I ve heard and read great things about the crowds plus my wife was not too happy with IM Canada because it was a one loop bike and one loop run, she did not have too much fun.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? # 1: to be under 13:00 hrs. #2: to PR in all 3 events #3: Under 5:00 marathon

What are you most looking forward to? The whole experience as usual plus the crowds

?Veterans any advice you can give early on?  Enjoy the process, and learn as much as possible.  that is what is all about 

2012-09-19 1:42 PM

User image

Name: maslowrun.  Real name: Chad
What is your Ironman resume? My first full IM.  But I did the half Ironman in Racine WI 2012.
Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?  It's close to my home in South Dakota so I can do it without having to fly or drive too far.
What are you goals for IMWI 2013? Finish without limping.
What are you most looking forward to? Crossing that finish line and being handed an Ironman Wisconsin medal.  Then pizza.
Veterans any advice you can give early on? I have no idea what I am doing.

2012-09-19 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4416130

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota

Name: mikfinne.  Real name Mike.

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2011. I trained for IMLP 2012 but had a stress fracture and was not able to race.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I live in Minnesota and logistically it is easy for me. More importantly, I love this race and Madison. I have volunteered twice and the electric feel is unbelievable wether you are spectating or racing. The course is fantastic and is easy for your supporters/family to get around.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? I am 52 and long past trying to beat anybody. I want to feel good, have fun and enjoy the day. Like LazyMarathoner says, there is a magic to it and I don't want to miss a moment of it.

What are you most looking forward to? The path from now until after the race. It is always filled with twists and turns and you just don't know how it is all going to turn out, which is all part of what makes it so exciting and heartbreaking at the same time.

Veterans any advice you can give early on?  Pay attention to what your body is telling you and at the first sign of something, pay attention to it. Most injuries are probably not going to go away on their own. I'm not exactly what I would call a veteran but in my short experience, there is a lot of truth in the saying, "getting to the start line healthy is one of the hardest aspects of this race."

2012-09-19 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL

Name: SEwantstobeFe                        Real Name: Dave

What is your Ironman resume? First timer!

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? 2012 was my first full season, including two 70.3’s at Racine & The Dells.  The more I trained, read & learned, the more I kept getting drawn to the full distance.  The timing is good, so I decided to go for it!  I thought about IM Coz for the vacation aspect, but financially and logistically Wisconsin is a much easier choice.  I’m from the NW Chicago Suburbs and my parents live in Fitchburg (outside Madison), so I’ll have a local base for (hopefully) on-course training and race day.  I volunteered at this year’s race and couldn’t wait to sign up!

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? Finish standing up.  But it’s always nice to have a goal, so right now, my uneducated goal is sub-14.

What are you most looking forward to? The whole process, from training to racing.  The crowds, especially on the helix.  And of course hearing those famous words as I run down the finish chute!

Veterans any advice you can give early on?  I certainly am in no position to give advice, so I’ll ask my first of many questions: Any ideas on training plans, like Fink or Fitzgerald, that may be better suited to IMWI?  Has anyone ever participated in the Endurance House program and would it work despite not living in Madison?  Oops – two questions.  And in case you couldn’t tell, I’m a long-winded typist.  I’m trying to get better.
2012-09-19 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4419214

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
SEwantstobeFe - 2012-09-19 3:56 PM

Veterans any advice you can give early on?  I certainly am in no position to give advice, so I’ll ask my first of many questions: Any ideas on training plans, like Fink or Fitzgerald, that may be better suited to IMWI?  Has anyone ever participated in the Endurance House program and would it work despite not living in Madison?  Oops – two questions.  And in case you couldn’t tell, I’m a long-winded typist.  I’m trying to get better.

Hi, Dave, and welcome.  I do not know either of those two programs since I used a local friend who has gone to Kona twice as a coach back in '09.

There is a beginner IM race plan that is on this site that may help, if you want.

Endurance House would be recommended if you lived nearby since they do training nights together - their cost is almost 400 bucks, but you receive an Endurance House tri-outfit and some other perks, including a plan (I would think), swimming evaluation with one of their coaches, and possibly bike-fitting at their shop.

2012-09-20 6:43 AM

User image

Wind Lake

Name: countrymom  Real name: Kim

What is your Ironman resume? Redman 140.6 2009, IMKY 2010...DNF at mile 124.4 (asthma attack)

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Close to home so I can train on those darn hills & rockin' volunteers

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? No training set backs and I just want to finish!

What are you most looking forward to?Training with fellow Donks, getting back in shape, hearing those famous words as I walk....maybe run through the chute.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Respect the distance.  

2012-09-21 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

Hi there!  My name is Chris and I am from Sterling, IL.  Decided this past January that it was finally time to get into shape and lose the pounds.  Started swimming again and then got this crazy idea to train for a triathlon.  Well here we are now.  Went from being 230 pounds down to around 168ish.  I have done 5 tri's so far and have one next weekend.  I have podiumed in every tri I have done in my AG so far and that gives me a real confidence boost going into tri's!  Ironman has always fascinated me in ways I can't even begin to comprehend.  I figured I better get it done with, otherwise I will always be wanting to toe the line.  I volunteered at the Kohl Center aid station this year and was JEALOUS! all day this year.  I wanted to be out there competeing!

Name: Bevie.  Real name: Chris

What is your Ironman resume? Haha.  This will be the first of many to come I hope!

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?  It's only about a two hour drive from home so it's close to home.  Also the people and the atmosphere is just amazing.  I have never seen anything like it!  Also the guys I train with here and there have all done Madison before and say it's a must!

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? Laugh at me if you want.  Obviously I want to finish but, I want to Kona qualify.  I know I know!  I come from a great swimming background and feel that if I can get my bike on the right track it is a real posibility.  I understand that I have to be under 10 hour mark it looks but,  I ask myself why not?  A lot of people say not to race it and just enjoy it.  I understand that and will enjoy it but, at the end of the day if I don't go hard I will regret it!
What are you most looking forward to?  That moment before the gun goes off!  The anticipation is just electric.  Your' whole body feels like a rubber band stretched out just ready to shoot forth!  Oh and the finish line!

Veterans any advice you can give early on? From not ever doing an Ironman I have no advice for others.  All I can say is that I will deffinately be riding the bike course hopefully 3-4 times before race day comes. 

Good luck everyone!

2012-09-22 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago

Name: tpero  Real name: Tom

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2012 (2/3), got a stress fracture in August, so I could not do the marathon, but had a great swim (1:00:59) and a decent bike (considering I didn't ride for 3-4 weeks due to the stress fracture).

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Close to Chicago, amazing crowd support.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013? Redemption. I want to get to the starting line injury-free this time around and come into the race stronger and faster than I would have been this year. 

What are you most looking forward to? The crowds - the run up the helix and the packed streets on the big climbs on the bike are unreal!

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Don't discount the value of proper recovery in your training or the importance of balance/core strengthening - neglecting both of these is what likely lead to my stress fracture. 

2012-09-23 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

Name - FredsRider

Real Name - Nicole

Ironman Resume - IMWI  2009, 10, 11,12, IMFL 2011, IMCDA 2012, IMAZ 2012 <well in less than 2 months, 2013 IMLP and IMWI.  

Why did you choose IMWI? Living in Madison, I cannot pass up this race.The course is fantastic, the crowd support is great and the Volunteers are the best.

What are your goals for IMW2013? Remain injury free, PR, have fun.

What are you most looking forward to? -The entire day is so much fun.The swim, as the 1 loop was really nice this year. Racing with a bunch of my friends.  Crossing the finish line feels fantastic, the hills on the course.  

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Listen to your body and take rest days, as rest is part of training. If you miss a few workouts do not stress over it and do not try to cram them in. Do not over train, find a plan and stick to it, get your nutrition dialed in, ask questions, practice changing a tire so if it happens you are not panicked, enjoy race day as it goes quickly.

I live in Madison so if anyone has questions feel free to ask here or PM me.

Nicole  

2012-09-24 1:23 PM

User image

Middle of Nowhere, Manitoba, Canada

Name: JR1981 - Janette!

What is your Ironman resume? IM Canada 2008, IM Wisconsin 2009, IM Louisville 2011, IM Wisconsin 2012

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?  Closest to home (Although still a 12 hour drive!) and great time of year - works with my training!  Also, as someone whose significant other & 5 kids accompany them... this course is second to none when it comes to spectating!

What are you goals for IMWI 2013?   All four of my IM races have ranged between 12:58 and 13:38... I REALLY want to get faster this year!!!

What are you most looking forward to? Running down the finish chute!

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Like everyone says - take time to enjoy the race! Always put family first - during training, and on race day too!  Accept the things you cannot change.  Oh, and don't forget to moo when you go around the first turn during the swim!

2012-09-24 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4419520

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
1stTimeTri - 2012-09-19 8:02 PM
SEwantstobeFe - 2012-09-19 3:56 PM

Hi, Dave, and welcome.  I do not know either of those two programs since I used a local friend who has gone to Kona twice as a coach back in '09.

There is a beginner IM race plan that is on this site that may help, if you want.

Endurance House would be recommended if you lived nearby since they do training nights together - their cost is almost 400 bucks, but you receive an Endurance House tri-outfit and some other perks, including a plan (I would think), swimming evaluation with one of their coaches, and possibly bike-fitting at their shop.

Thanks for the response, Phil.  I will take a look at the BT plan.  I'm also considering Endurance Nation (EN).  From what I've read I like their training approach, etc.  Not as pricey as a one-on-one coach but still might be more than I want to commit right now.  Plus there are lots of options out there so I'll probably keep researching.

Nice to "meet" the others who have signed on so far.  I'm looking forward to the journey ahead!

2012-09-24 5:37 PM

User image

East Dubuque

Name: Allison

What is your Ironman resume? I'm a rookie

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? 90 miles away I live in Dubuque and volunteered at this years IM.  I felt the most comfortable with Wisconsin being able to train with he hills and ability to get to Madison as often as I can for long training days.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013?  To enjoy every step a long the journey, take in everything race day, and to finish strong ( whatever that might be, will determine in the Spring)  

What are you most looking forward to? Finishing!  coming down the chute with my sister.  it is both our first time, and we cant wait to do this together.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? I would love to hear from the Veterans on their experience.

ironmanjourneytomadison.blogspot.com

2012-09-25 9:36 AM

Hello! I’m in what I call my second triathlon life. First time around was the early 2000’s. Then kids #3 and #4 came along and other priorities took over. Started up again last year and loving it.

Name: Art

What is your Ironman resume? 2X IM WI finisher (2002, 2012). Lottery winner to Kona 2003. Flamed out at mile 97 on the bike.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?   I live just over the border in Illinois so travel is easy and the race is spectacular. Great volunteers, crowds, and scenery. I mean seriously, how many races are you in where you are 20 feet away from a herd of cows or surrounded by college dudes in banana hammocks and coconut shells on hill climbs?

What are you goals for IMWI 2013?  PR and be in shape to run most of the marathon.

What are you most looking forward to?  The entire event weekend. It’s just very cool to be there and be part of it. Also looking forward to improving over past performance.  Faster, stronger, higher!

Veterans any advice you can give early on?  1) Ride the bike course beforehand, especially the loop. Ride it as much as possible. Drive it several times on race weekend if you can’t ride it. Train for hills…lots of hills. It’s not Alpe D’Huez but it’s constant up and down and there are four especially nasty climbs on the loop. It’s all part of the fun! 2) Practice changing a flat tire. 3) pack gear for any weather condition. I had to make arm warmers out of socks in 2012. 4) Marigold Kitchen near the Capitol is a great place to eat!

2012-09-25 6:02 PM

User image

Name: Bob23 (real name... ummm... Bob)

What is your Ironman resume? 2009 Redman 140.6 finisher, 2011 IM Wisconsin finisher

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?   Great course (swim, bike and the run), close to home, great support, fun race!

What are you goals for IMWI 2013?  Don't get injured in training, beat my previous time, and most importantly have fun!!

What are you most looking forward to?  Training with countrymom and friends.  I look forward to the entire day, but especially the run

Veterans any advice you can give early on?  Respect the distance.  Nail your nutrition.  Figure out your nutrition in training and stick to your plan on race day.  Remember to have FUN and thank the volunteers!! 

2012-09-25 8:24 PM

Subject: ---

Edited by TedO 2012-09-25 8:27 PM
2012-09-25 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Hi everyone! I'm also in my second Ironman/ Triathlete life. After a 4-year hiatus (and 30lbs of Daddy weight), I'm ready to get training. We just moved to Golden, CO and I'm attempting to find some folks to train with so if you leave near Golden, please reach out!

Name: TriSean99

What is your Ironman resume? IMKY 2007 (11:48) and 2008 (15:35ish). I trained in 2007. I drank a lot of beer in 2008.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I'm fat, need a goal, and need some free time away from a nagging wife and screaming kiddos. And what better excuse than a 3 hour run or a 6 hour bike. Seriously though, IMWI has always been a dream and I literally had goosebumps when I saw that I actually got in.

What are you goals for IMWI 2013?
1) Squeeze myself into my tri-suit without it ripping
2) Find the guy who kicked me in the ..... during my last IM swim and have the opportunity to reciprocate
3) Not have my bike picture be of me in staring at the rear end of some hottie in front of me
4) Make it off the bike early enough so that there's more than just pretzels left at the food/water stations
5) Not be the guy who poops himself during the run or have my wife take more pictures of me puking on the side of the road at mile 18
6) Finish before midnight
7) Have a cool finish line pic

What are you most looking forward to? Meeting great people to train with, going through the whole training process, finishing a race I signed up to do in 2007 and never did, and oh yeah, I almost forgot... getting to shave my legs again.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? In all seriousness, unless you're trying to get to Kona, just have fun with the process. Find a good coach or training plan, trust in that training plan, take days off when you're tired or just aren't feeling it, use LOTS chamois butter, and don't forget to put band-aids in the important places. Most importantly, put down the HR monitor or power meter from time-to-time and spend some time enjoying the process. The day comes and goes in a blink of an eye. Soak in every day and race day will just be a catered training day with 2000 of your closest (and craziest) friends.

I hope to have the opportunity to get out and train with some of you soon!
2012-09-26 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Name: Kent

IM Resume: This will be my first

Why IM Wisconsin: I live about 2 hours away, and everybody always raves about the race after they have done it.

What are my goals: 1st and most important is to enjoy the next year of training and preparing for the race. I actually relish the training for a big event and I want to make sure I do that for this one. 2nd is to stay healthy. I'm 46 and so far I have been able to train and race in several HIM's and stay injury free. Lastly I want to make sure I take time during the process to appreciate the fact that I'm able to do this. I have the support of my family and my health and it's important to me to be appreciative of both.

What I'm most looking forward to: Coming down the finish chute knowing I gave it everything I had that day.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24