General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2013-07-30 8:07 AM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
It's getting close everyone!!! 40 days and counting! So how is everyone's training going? Injury free I hope? Things are going pretty good here I think. Legs are still a little toast from doing 93 miles yesterday but the 2 miles I ran after it felt awesome!

Yep...it's getting close again. Starting to get that "tingly" feeling I got the day I signed up for IM. Love it!

2013-07-30 8:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Less than 6 weeks to go and after watching 6 of my friends finish at Ironman Lake Placid I'm all fired up and inspired to do this. Training for me is going well and I think I'm right on track to be where I need to be to finish this. I've been doing my homework on the course as well. One good thing this past weekend was my 6 hour 87.5 mile hills ride. Lot's of hills and big headwinds but the good thing for me was I got off the bike and was able to run and do it well. I think I'm almost physically and mentally ready and this past weekend just gave me a big boost in my confidence. I can't wait to get out there and do this!

Edited by strikyr 2013-07-30 8:16 AM
2013-07-30 11:18 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Solid brick on Sunday - Rode the stick and 1 loop ~ 70 miles and then ran 1 loop of the IM course.

Definitely mixed emotions going into the heart of training. Running that loop hit me that it's going to be brutal coming back to the capitol only to have to turn around and run one more loop.

2013-07-30 11:55 AM
in reply to: eazyc10

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by eazyc10

Solid brick on Sunday - Rode the stick and 1 loop ~ 70 miles and then ran 1 loop of the IM course.

Definitely mixed emotions going into the heart of training. Running that loop hit me that it's going to be brutal coming back to the capitol only to have to turn around and run one more loop.

It's funny you mention that because I was thinking the same thing as I've been watching the video of the bike and run courses and was reconning the run course last night and thinking "man it is really going to suck to get that close to the finish and then have to head back out for one more loop".
2013-07-31 3:36 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Going as well as it can be.

Good to hear injury-free reports so far! Keep hanging in there, peeps!
2013-08-01 8:21 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Two loops on the bike loop this coming Sat. morn.

Should be a great day, too! WOOT!

2013-08-01 8:33 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Long run Saturday followed by 2 loops on Sunday.
2013-08-01 2:20 PM

This will be my first time racing IMWI and unfortunately I won't have much opportunity to preview the course. You mention videos of the bike/run courses - would love to check them out to get a sense of what lies ahead. Do you have a link to share? Thanks.
2013-08-01 3:31 PM
in reply to: rogeras

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by rogeras

This will be my first time racing IMWI and unfortunately I won't have much opportunity to preview the course. You mention videos of the bike/run courses - would love to check them out to get a sense of what lies ahead. Do you have a link to share? Thanks.

I'm sure the vets here and the folks who are local to the Madison area can better comment but I found the videos that Simply Stu put together helpful. They are on the WIBA site. The swim course is obviously different as it is no longer two loops but the bike and run courses look pretty close to the current courses.

http://www.wisconsinbrickadventure.com/videos.html
2013-08-03 5:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

Long run Saturday followed by 2 loops on Sunday.

I'll be up there on Sunday as well. Planning on two loops myself. Getting ready to head out for my long run right now then a swim a little after it.
2013-08-05 8:57 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I hope everybody had a great weekend and got their training in. I finally got to do my first century ride this weekend. I manged to get in 103 miles and follow it up with 3 mile run. The weather was perfect it was cool with low humidity. It was pretty windy though so the ride was a little but more challenging but overall it went well for me.

I was supposed to get in the full 112 miles but my friend had an issue with his bike so I had to go solo on the way back and do a little bit more of direct route since I didn't know the route that he took me on that well. In any case it was good for me I employed my planned JRA (just ride along) strategy for IMWI and stayed within myself. I could have done another 9 miles with no problem. I felt good coming off the bike and the short run went really well afterwards. Things are really coming together now for me. I hope everyone's training is going well only 5 more weeks to go!

2013-08-05 11:48 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Ran 22 on Saturday with part of it on the course. Run felt good and I beat my longest run by 7 miles.

Biked 2 loops ~90 miles total including getting out to the course. Legs were definitely tired from the day before but stuck with the nutrition and overall felt that it was a good ride.

Weather was spectacular for both days. I can only hope that we have similar weather on race days.

Another big week ahead so I'm taking a much needed rest day today.
2013-08-05 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
WOW! Only 5 weeks to go. Amazing!

Did a century ride as well in Kankakee, IL.

I had been more bike-focused recently as I felt it was my weaker spot. Now I feel strong on the bike and am going to maintain there (beginning a slow taper) and focus more on the run over the next weeks. Going to hold steady on the swim as I feel I have a good handle on that part and continue to swim two mornings a week in Lake Michigan.

The anxiety of the big day is getting strong! I'm more and more excited with each day and can't wait for Sept 8th to finally arrive!
2013-08-05 4:52 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
You are making me feel bad, I am way behind in all three disciplines. Good job everyone ! No excuses, just behind
2013-08-06 2:34 PM

Originally posted by strikyr

Originally posted by rogeras

I'm sure the vets here and the folks who are local to the Madison area can better comment but I found the videos that Simply Stu put together helpful. They are on the WIBA site. The swim course is obviously different as it is no longer two loops but the bike and run courses look pretty close to the current courses.

http://www.wisconsinbrickadventure.com/videos.html

The Simply Stu videos are a really good course preview, I completely agree. The commentary also helps to give a few suggestions. Since he drives the bike course, it gives you a better feel for how quickly the road changes and how much it pitches up and down...as opposed to a bike-mounted video camera.

The swim course is a spiral rather than a two-lap rectangle, but that really doesn't change anything for race preperation or execution. The bike course has changed a little bit (the course cuts from Hwy G to Hwy 92 on Messerschmidt rather than G and 92 meeting), but nearly everything else is the same. Messerschmidt, by the way, only has rolling hills (WHAT??? HILLS??? SHOCKING!!!), nothing that needs to be reconed ahead of time. The run course is probably a little different (going around the north side of the Capital Square rather than the south side), but everything else is the same.

I HIGHLY recommend driving the bike course (maybe more than once) and riding the run course (maybe more than once) as soon as you get to Madison. This will also give you a more personal feel for the course.

Any more questions, just post or direct message me. This is my fifth IMWI, I live in Madison, and I graduated from Verona, so I'm very familiar with every part of the course and city of Madison.

Have fun!
2013-08-06 4:29 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I would actually somewhat disagree with Messerschmidt. I think recon would be good to do on this because of the rolling hills. Having ridden the course numerous times this year, I know where to push the downhill a little more to get up those hills on Messerschmidt. Similar to Witte and Garfoot, you can save yourself some time by pushing just a little harder on the downhill and riding your momentum up those hills. If you don't push, you'll work more to get up them.

Just my 2 cents.

2013-08-07 11:56 AM

I would actually somewhat disagree with Messerschmidt. I think recon would be good to do on this because of the rolling hills. Having ridden the course numerous times this year, I know where to push the downhill a little more to get up those hills on Messerschmidt. Similar to Witte and Garfoot, you can save yourself some time by pushing just a little harder on the downhill and riding your momentum up those hills. If you don't push, you'll work more to get up them.

Just my 2 cents.

More recon is always better, but I should have been a little clearer suggesting that a person wouldn't be 'in danger' if they didn't see that part before race day (like downhills on Garfoot and Timber Ln.) or if there are difficult climbs.

Messerschmidt does have three rolling hills between G and 92. Nothing that you'll be climbing long, but enough that you'll have to gear down to your lower/lowest gears. eazyc10's comment about riding the hills on Messerschmidt and how to push on them a little (and really every hill on IMWI) is completely true. Don't work too hard going up any one climb or go too easy going down. Ride within yourself always, but push it a little more as you crest a hill to gain/keep momentum and at the bottom (going down and up) to keep speed.
2013-08-07 11:57 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
I agree really glad I had an opportunity to pre-ride the course - that was helpful. Recently completed my first 103 mile bike on a hilly course - over 6000 ft of climbing - ha ha ha could not have found a harder course to do the 103 on and I only planned to do 50, but got talked into 100! Last weekend had the best 2+ hour run after 80 on the bike the day before - still working on swim, but i'm gonna tri to be one with the water and i am slow, so just need to finish it!! Been doing more open water, just need not to panic and race my own race - bike and run is really where my race will begin! Nerves in check getting excited - have to admit during my visualization of finishing IM Moo - had tears of joy and excitement, gonna do it!!
2013-08-07 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by pnelson

Just my 2 cents.

More recon is always better, but I should have been a little clearer suggesting that a person wouldn't be 'in danger' if they didn't see that part before race day (like downhills on Garfoot and Timber Ln.) or if there are difficult climbs.

Messerschmidt does have three rolling hills between G and 92. Nothing that you'll be climbing long, but enough that you'll have to gear down to your lower/lowest gears. eazyc10's comment about riding the hills on Messerschmidt and how to push on them a little (and really every hill on IMWI) is completely true. Don't work too hard going up any one climb or go too easy going down. Ride within yourself always, but push it a little more as you crest a hill to gain/keep momentum and at the bottom (going down and up) to keep speed.

I appreciate the feedback on the course. I won't be able to ride it before hand but will drive it when I get out there. Are the most difficult descents on Garfoot and Timber Lane? and are there any other areas that we might want to be aware of or we'd need to be watchful of. I'm not too worried about the climbs I've been doing ALOT of that here. I'm more concerned with any areas that you guys think are tricky mainly descents and any of the turns that could be a problem if not handled correctly. My strategy is going to be JRA all the way, just ride along and stay within myself.
2013-08-07 3:47 PM
in reply to: MrSolis

User image

Colorado
I am behind on swimming and running.  The running is actually on purpose;  I ended up trying to do this race with a torn posterior tibialis tendon in a surgical boot in 2011 and with a chronic foot problem, am trying to just get to the start line without a boot.  I'm swimming with a friend with open water anxiety.  I've really been focusing on the bike as that course is tough... 
2013-08-07 4:20 PM
in reply to: 0

Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate the feedback on the course. I won't be able to ride it before hand but will drive it when I get out there. Are the most difficult descents on Garfoot and Timber Lane? and are there any other areas that we might want to be aware of or we'd need to be watchful of. I'm not too worried about the climbs I've been doing ALOT of that here. I'm more concerned with any areas that you guys think are tricky mainly descents and any of the turns that could be a problem if not handled correctly. My strategy is going to be JRA all the way, just ride along and stay within myself.

Sure thing. The only other descent to be aware of is Sugar River Rd. It comes after you leave Verona and go under Hwy 18/151 towards the beginning of the loop. After you turn right on Sugar River from Valley Rd., there is a steep downhill into dense shade/trees and a left curve. Currently there is some gravel on the road from doing marginal road work this summer, but there are still potholes. Staying near the yellow line (and not going over and incurring a penalty) is the best line. Other than that, Timber Ln. and Garfoot Rd. are the only two 'dangerous' points that will require substantial breaking. Many of the turns between Mt. Horeb and Cross Plains are off-camber with a pretty decent crown on the road. They usually have gravel during the year, but are well-swept on race day. You'll pick up speed a little bit quickly through and after the turn. You won't have to break much, but will probably feel more comfortable covering your breaks or checking your speed a little bit.

Hope that wasn't too specific. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by pnelson 2013-08-07 4:46 PM

2013-08-07 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Just my 2 cents.

Sure thing. The only other descent to be aware of is Sugar River Rd. It comes after you leave Verona and go under Hwy 18/151 towards the beginning of the loop. After you turn right on Sugar River from Valley Rd., there is a steep downhill into dense shade/trees and a left curve. Currently there is some gravel on the road from doing marginal road work this summer, but there are still potholes. Staying near the yellow line (and not going over and incurring a penalty) is the best line. Other than that, Timber Ln. and Garfoot Rd. are the only two 'dangerous' points that will require substantial breaking. Many of the turns between Mt. Horeb and Cross Plains are off-camber with a pretty decent crown on the road. They usually have gravel during the year, but are well-swept on race day. You'll pick up speed a little bit quickly through and after the turn. You won't have to break much, but will probably feel more comfortable covering your breaks or checking your speed a little bit.

Hope that wasn't too specific. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks, I really appreciate the insight and no that is exactly the kind of information I am looking for about the bike course. The more I learn now the better prepared I will be come race day.
2013-08-08 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Wow. Exactly one month from now we'll all be out there!
2013-08-08 2:41 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Anyone know much about the IMWI Banquet and what goes on there? I can't really find out much info about it and tickets went on sale today. Is it the day before? Pasta feed thingy? What?

Thanks
2013-08-09 1:55 PM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
YAY!

The 2013 Athlete Guide has been posted!!!!!

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/wisconsin/...

My heart is knotting as I read it. So exciting!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24