Iron Distance Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 24
 
 
2013-08-10 1:23 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Extreme Veteran
451
1001001001002525
Algonquin, IL
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Got up at 4:30 this morning... watched some Ironman video... 2012 Kona I think... rode 100 and did a 6 mile brick. Feeling good.


2013-08-10 6:03 PM
in reply to: daviddclough

User image

Expert
2343
200010010010025
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Did an epic ride today, my longest ever 128 miles and followed it up with a short 2 mile run. It was a great but the wind was brutal both heading east and west into Montauk. The scenary was awesome though so it made up for all wind a little. this was really an edurance ride today. The good thing is I can ride the bike for 7:30 if I have to. I don't think I'll be doing this again anytime soon or ever for that matter.
2013-08-10 10:54 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

New user
6

Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Hello everyone

Getting close to show time. I just read the Athlete guide just post on the race website. It states that parking is limited at the start on race morning and there will be parking at Alliant Energy center and a shuttle will run for athletes and spectators from 4 a.m. to 1 a.m. Does anyone know if this shuttle takes bikes back to Alliant Energy center after the race?

Thanks
2013-08-11 2:20 PM
in reply to: AKdude

User image

Extreme Veteran
451
1001001001002525
Algonquin, IL
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by AKdude

Hello everyone

Getting close to show time. I just read the Athlete guide just post on the race website. It states that parking is limited at the start on race morning and there will be parking at Alliant Energy center and a shuttle will run for athletes and spectators from 4 a.m. to 1 a.m. Does anyone know if this shuttle takes bikes back to Alliant Energy center after the race?

Thanks


Yes they do.
2013-08-11 2:35 PM
in reply to: daviddclough

User image

Extreme Veteran
451
1001001001002525
Algonquin, IL
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by daviddclough

Originally posted by AKdude

Hello everyone

Getting close to show time. I just read the Athlete guide just post on the race website. It states that parking is limited at the start on race morning and there will be parking at Alliant Energy center and a shuttle will run for athletes and spectators from 4 a.m. to 1 a.m. Does anyone know if this shuttle takes bikes back to Alliant Energy center after the race?

Thanks


Yes they do.


After the race you will want to get your bags, which will be all tied together in the T1 room, get your bike and get on the bus.
2013-08-11 2:37 PM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Expert
663
5001002525
A little slice of paradise
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by Bevie

Anyone know much about the IMWI Banquet and what goes on there? I can't really find out much info about it and tickets went on sale today. Is it the day before? Pasta feed thingy? What?

Thanks


The Banquet is on Friday night. They have pasta, bread, potato, salad, your typical carb dinner. Mike Reilly is there and puts on a good program, introduces the oldest, youngest athlete, who raised the most money for the IM foundation, fun facts, and laughs. They have the athlete meeting following the banquet. They talk about the rules, which can be found in your athlete guide (no passing zone, drafting, swim safe etc.)
If this is your first Ironman, I would go to the dinner.


2013-08-11 8:16 PM
in reply to: FredsRider

User image

Extreme Veteran
835
50010010010025
Sterling
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by FredsRider

Originally posted by Bevie

Anyone know much about the IMWI Banquet and what goes on there? I can't really find out much info about it and tickets went on sale today. Is it the day before? Pasta feed thingy? What?

Thanks


The Banquet is on Friday night. They have pasta, bread, potato, salad, your typical carb dinner. Mike Reilly is there and puts on a good program, introduces the oldest, youngest athlete, who raised the most money for the IM foundation, fun facts, and laughs. They have the athlete meeting following the banquet. They talk about the rules, which can be found in your athlete guide (no passing zone, drafting, swim safe etc.)
If this is your first Ironman, I would go to the dinner.



Thanks Nicole. How's the training coming along? Looking forward to toeing the line here finally.
2013-08-13 10:47 AM
in reply to: daviddclough

User image

Member
171
1002525
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
I received my official email this morning. I guess that means I am actually doing this.

I have a couple of questions that FAQ and the athlete handbook fail to answer. In the swim to bike transition they say no nudity. Are there places to change from my swim shorts to my bike shorts? Or should I pack a towel and do the drop the shorts, put on the new shorts dance under the towel. Same question for the bike to run transition. Change from bike shorts to running shorts.

They also say do not wear your bib number during the swim. Do I place it on a race belt and hang it off the bike, or does it go in the bike bag along with the helment, shoes, etc?

See you all in 26 days.
2013-08-13 11:01 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Veteran
508
500
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
I have worked in the changing room. This is much different from your typical triathlon transition zone.

You'll be handed your transition bag and there is a pretty big separate rooms for men and women. Not sure what it looks like in the women's room, but the sausage is flying in the guys. I plan on changing from jammers to bike shorts in T1 and then....well, I haven't decided on running shorts or tri shorts for the marathon. Either way, I will be doing two total changes and I will not be shy...

As far as leaving a bib on the bike.....you absolutely cannot leave anything on the bike. In fact, it's not a perfect system, but someone should have unracked your bike and handed it to you as you run by your rack. I've seen a few volunteers get a little...well....At IM Florida I saw a few bikes get banged around and a computer came off. I plan to put a little bit of electrical tape on the computer to make sure it doesn't get messed up...
2013-08-13 11:04 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

Iron Donkey
38600
500050005000500050005000500020001000500100
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by DeVinci13

I received my official email this morning. I guess that means I am actually doing this.

I have a couple of questions that FAQ and the athlete handbook fail to answer. In the swim to bike transition they say no nudity. Are there places to change from my swim shorts to my bike shorts? Or should I pack a towel and do the drop the shorts, put on the new shorts dance under the towel. Same question for the bike to run transition. Change from bike shorts to running shorts.

They also say do not wear your bib number during the swim. Do I place it on a race belt and hang it off the bike, or does it go in the bike bag along with the helment, shoes, etc?

See you all in 26 days.


"...swim TO bike transition..." <-- key word. You will need to wear swim shorts, jammers, tri-shorts under your wet suit. INSIDE the transition room (men's and women's are separate, and curtained off) persons have been known to change. I did a change from tri shorts to running shorts in '09 in the T2 transition room.

Do not wear or carry your bib for the swim. The bib should be on a race belt or pinned to your jersey. The bib is usually on your backside, not the front, during the bike. You will also have a race bib sticker on your helmet, and one on the bike (perhaps two). You can not hang your bib number on a racing belt (or on a shirt) on the bike - you need to have it in your transition bag. You will also be bodymarked.
The bib number should be facing the front during the run.
2013-08-13 11:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
508
500
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
One more thing. I've combed the athlete guide. It doesn't appear to be required on the bike...

Edit: The bib, I mean...

Edited by julio26pt2 2013-08-13 11:19 AM


2013-08-13 4:39 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Veteran
253
1001002525
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
I think you're right about the bib not being required on the bike. At HIM Kansas this year, they said the bib is only required on the run, & that's what I did. The year before I wore it on the bike.

Does anyone know what the restroom situation in transition is? Do we use the restrooms inside Monona Terrace, or are there portapotties right outside?
2013-08-13 6:33 PM
in reply to: Omahabritt

User image

Member
171
1002525
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Thank you all very much for the quick and knowledgeable responses. This gives me a couple less thing to worry about come race day.
2013-08-13 6:53 PM
in reply to: Omahabritt

User image

Veteran
173
1002525
Lakeville, MN
Gold member
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by Omahabritt

I think you're right about the bib not being required on the bike. At HIM Kansas this year, they said the bib is only required on the run, & that's what I did. The year before I wore it on the bike.

Does anyone know what the restroom situation in transition is? Do we use the restrooms inside Monona Terrace, or are there portapotties right outside?


There are porta potties right outside of the changing room door on the way to your bike. Just before the port potties will be volunteers that will apply sunscreen if you want....I've seen some pretty funny looking tans from the way the sunscreen was applied...
2013-08-14 10:04 AM
in reply to: mikfinne

User image

Regular
131
10025
Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Am I reading the Athlete's Guide correctly? 1) The MASS swim start is still in play. 2) There will not be an Pre-Race Briefing after the Welcome Banquet. There will be several Pre-Race Briefings available on Friday and Saturday instead.
2013-08-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: Omahabritt

User image

Kansas
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Originally posted by OmahabrittDoes anyone know what the restroom situation in transition is? Do we use the restrooms inside Monona Terrace, or are there portapotties right outside?

You *can* use the restrooms inside Monona Terrace, but they are not super close to the changing area - they are a ways down a hallway. Highly recommend using the porta potties just outside to save time.



2013-08-14 11:11 AM
in reply to: Skyhawk

Iron Donkey
38600
500050005000500050005000500020001000500100
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by Skyhawk

Am I reading the Athlete's Guide correctly? 1) The MASS swim start is still in play. 2) There will not be an Pre-Race Briefing after the Welcome Banquet. There will be several Pre-Race Briefings available on Friday and Saturday instead.
. So far, yes, but there is 19 days to go.
2013-08-15 1:02 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

Iron Donkey
38600
500050005000500050005000500020001000500100
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
21 mile bike followed by a 6 mile BRICK, all a bit faster than race pace. Feeling good!
2013-08-15 1:42 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Expert
2343
200010010010025
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
I completed my longest training run last night, 20 miles. I've hit all the distances now in the swim, bike and run. Just need to finish up this week and another high volume training week for next week and then the taper will begin.
2013-08-15 2:51 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Veteran
508
500
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Had an 18 miler 2 nights ago.. Felt good but legs are still a little bit sore. Heading up to Madison tomorrow evening to ride the course on Saturday morning! With the century behind me, my longest-run, I'm technically tapering 2 disciplines and plan on doing a full-length swim next week...
2013-08-15 5:14 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

Iron Donkey
38600
500050005000500050005000500020001000500100
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by julio26pt2

Had an 18 miler 2 nights ago.. Felt good but legs are still a little bit sore. Heading up to Madison tomorrow evening to ride the course on Saturday morning! With the century behind me, my longest-run, I'm technically tapering 2 disciplines and plan on doing a full-length swim next week...


Cool. I'll be out on the course, too, Sat. morn. When you whizz on by, say "Hi" at least. I'll be riding a red Cervelo P2SL Pro Limited Ed. You don't see those around here.


2013-08-15 5:38 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Veteran
508
500
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Cool beans! I'll be with the Vision Quest group, sporting a Black and Blue Felt roadie bike with white bar tape..
2013-08-15 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4414876

User image

Extreme Veteran
835
50010010010025
Sterling
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Have a small sprint tri Saturday then going for a trail run after that. Sunday will be a 5 hour ride then it's TAPER BABY! 3 weeks of tapering down!
2013-08-16 9:27 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Veteran
341
10010010025
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
I will also be at the Vision Quest ride tomorrow morning. I probably will be wearing a long sleeve red top since it might be chilly in AM. Looking forward to using my TT bike on the course since I brought my roadie last time. I also changed the cassette to one more amenable to climbing......legs don't fail me now!
2013-08-16 7:43 PM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

Iron Donkey
38600
500050005000500050005000500020001000500100
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
4400 yards in the pool this a.m.
Arms are felling better now.
New Thread
Iron Distance Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Show Per page
 
 
of 24