General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2013-09-02 2:12 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
I just updated my Garmin Forerunner 910xt's firmware from 2.70 to 2.80.  I heard of some issues with firmware 2.70 with multi-sport.

2013-09-02 4:04 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by kevin_trapp
Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Originally posted by sthoresen Hey, everyone: Hard to believe this time next week we'll be in Madison! For those who have done IMWI before, how long does it take for the swimming pack to string out? I plan to start toward the back but still expect a lot of kicking. I'm wondering how long it will take to settle into a smooth, comfortable pace. Can someone explain how the special needs bag retrieval during the bike and run legs works? Does one have to get off her bike and look for it in the designated area or is it handed up? Not sure how this works. What does your taper week next week look like? I'm looking forward to finally getting some much needed rest!

The swimming pack will be congested pretty much the whole time unless you are way in the front or way in the back (with me).

If you don't panic (some people do), then it will depend on how anxious/excited you are.  You will need to relax as best as possible and don't let the mad rush get to you.

Special needs bike:  When you complete the 1st loop and come back onto Bruce Street/Paoli, the special needs bags will be all along that straight stretch of the road before the overpass.  The bags are in numerical order with highest number closer towards the overpass.  Usually, volunteers will yell your number out down the line as you approach (you can start by yelling out your number first to assist them so they know that you want your special needs bag), and then volunteers will help get the bag and assist you with whatever you need in the bag.

Special needs run: After the first loop of the run and just past the turn-around near the finish line, the bags are similarly setup as the special needs bike bag setup (lowest number closer to the finish line).  Volunteers will help.  A volunteer may ask if you want your special needs bag, or you should call your number out, and a volunteer will grab the special needs bag and assist you.

My taper, specifically, is doing one or two short (1000 to 2500 yards) swims, a couple of short runs (nothing greater than 6 miles for sure), and a short bike ride (< 20 miles) or two.  I will NOT do any activity on Sat. other than enjoying the time with my family.

Good luck.

Don't let Phil scare you, the swim isn't that bad. Once you get past the second buoy, things open up a bit. You'll never be alone, but the heavy contact is all on that first stretch. You can find more open water by swimming to the outside. Don't worry about going to far off course, a kayak will start to nudge you back in if you go to wide. Take the buoys wide too, even the last turn get bunched up by everyone trying to cut the corners. An extra 100 yards on a 2.4 mile swim isn't going to ruin your day. For the run special needs, you actually go past the bags, turn around, then come back and get to them. Tell the volunteer when you go past you want your bag, and a volunteer will be holding it out for you by the time you get back.. Pack yourself something special, you'll need a little pick-me-up after coming so ridiculously close to the finish line. Wish I could be there again this year. Greatest race ever. Good luck everyone.

The change to the one loop course made a big difference for congestion. If you truly plan to start in the back and are a slow swimmer, things clear out by that second turn buoy per the comment above.  The long 1m+ stretch I never had contact last year and pretty much swam the line the whole way.  I would have welcomed a few more people around me to sight off of, but that's life.  

2013-09-03 10:25 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Short work week. Looking forward staying healthy, getting some rest and enjoying the weekend. Yesterday and today have been cool in Madison. Wish it would stay for the weekend.
2013-09-03 12:20 PM
in reply to: eazyc10

User image

I went for an hour and a half ride this morning, followed by a 30 minute brick run. That is it for training. I leave Wednesday morning from Winnipeg and I am staying the night in Minneapolis. I will get into Madison early Thursday afternoon. I am staying at the Hampton Inn Madison East. It is supposedly 6 miles from the race site, but we will see when I get there.
This is my first Ironman distance race. I am nervous, but very excited. See everyone there.
Dwayne
2013-09-03 12:44 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Originally posted by DeVinci13

I went for an hour and a half ride this morning, followed by a 30 minute brick run. That is it for training. I leave Wednesday morning from Winnipeg and I am staying the night in Minneapolis. I will get into Madison early Thursday afternoon. I am staying at the Hampton Inn Madison East. It is supposedly 6 miles from the race site, but we will see when I get there.
This is my first Ironman distance race. I am nervous, but very excited. See everyone there.
Dwayne
I am staying at the same place. I feel like i am under trained this time around but that is just the way it is. Short run tomorrow, flying on Thursday....
2013-09-03 2:13 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by DeVinci13 I went for an hour and a half ride this morning, followed by a 30 minute brick run. That is it for training. I leave Wednesday morning from Winnipeg and I am staying the night in Minneapolis. I will get into Madison early Thursday afternoon. I am staying at the Hampton Inn Madison East. It is supposedly 6 miles from the race site, but we will see when I get there. This is my first Ironman distance race. I am nervous, but very excited. See everyone there. Dwayne

Good luck!

2013-09-03 4:29 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

T - 4.5 (or so)!!

And what's tomorrow??  Huh?  HUH??

2013-09-04 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4844785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Hump day!!! Going nutz here still!
2013-09-04 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL

Originally posted by Bevie ... Was averaging 1:13 per 100 for the first 1000 according to my gps ...

HOLY SHAT, that's fast!

He is swimming 1:13's and his wetsuit is tight in the crotch. Sounds like taper madness to me. ;P
2013-09-04 2:35 PM
in reply to: daviddclough

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Just wanted to offer out a Good Luck to all you soon to be Ironmen and Ironwomen!!  I have several friends racing on Sunday and will be looking forward to seeing all the BT'ers cross the finish line.

Good Luck!  Kick A$$!!!  And get your heel to the finish line with a smile!

Matt

2013-09-04 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4846373

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
The athlete briefing that goes on both days...question. Do I need to go? Not sure if I can be there for any of them and wondered if I was going to miss anything important. Also we are going to the banquet Friday night and figured it is a casual event right?

2013-09-04 7:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Dp.

Edited by Bevie 2013-09-04 7:46 PM
2013-09-04 9:24 PM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Originally posted by BevieThe athlete briefing that goes on both days...question. Do I need to go? Not sure if I can be there for any of them and wondered if I was going to miss anything important. Also we are going to the banquet Friday night and figured it is a casual event right?
The mandatory athlete meeting immediately follows the Friday banquet. As for the dress, everyone will be in compression socks and Ironman finisher jackets. Also, it's not mandatory in that no one will know if you're there or not. The coarse director of each leg will give you an idea of what to expect, and announce any last minute changes. They'll go over Ironman rules, especially what constitutes drafting on the bike. There's no Saturday meeting, but bike check in and transition bag drop off absolutely has to be done on Saturday.
2013-09-05 6:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

Originally posted by BevieThe athlete briefing that goes on both days...question. Do I need to go? Not sure if I can be there for any of them and wondered if I was going to miss anything important. Also we are going to the banquet Friday night and figured it is a casual event right?
The mandatory athlete meeting immediately follows the Friday banquet. As for the dress, everyone will be in compression socks and Ironman finisher jackets. Also, it's not mandatory in that no one will know if you're there or not. The coarse director of each leg will give you an idea of what to expect, and announce any last minute changes. They'll go over Ironman rules, especially what constitutes drafting on the bike. There's no Saturday meeting, but bike check in and transition bag drop off absolutely has to be done on Saturday.

Thanks you Kevin. Yeah I just probably won't be able to make it to the "briefings" held Thursday or Friday. I like how you said compression socks and IM finisher jackets though. Too funny. I'll wear my HIM shirt to try and fit in a little I guess.

Thanks again.

Easy 600 yard swim this morning. I really had to convince myself that I had to get it in. I kept thinking..."Chris it's only 600 yards...Is it really worth driving the two minute to the pool to even get it in?" Did it anyways. On a side note I slept terrible last night! My brain wouldn't shut off. Think I may down a beer before I go to bed tonight in hopes I get a good nights sleep.
2013-09-05 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Bevie
Thanks you Kevin. Yeah I just probably won't be able to make it to the "briefings" held Thursday or Friday. I like how you said compression socks and IM finisher jackets though. Too funny. I'll wear my HIM shirt to try and fit in a little I guess. Thanks again. Easy 600 yard swim this morning. I really had to convince myself that I had to get it in. I kept thinking..."Chris it's only 600 yards...Is it really worth driving the two minute to the pool to even get it in?" Did it anyways. On a side note I slept terrible last night! My brain wouldn't shut off. Think I may down a beer before I go to bed tonight in hopes I get a good nights sleep.

I just read through the schedule and see that they changed things up this year from a single athlete meeting following the banquet to the multiple briefings.  Oops, sorry about that.  Maybe I should't be giving advice on a race I'm not in.  Still, if you can't make it to any of them you're not going to miss out on much.  

2013-09-05 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I finally made it to Madison last night. What a long drive from NY! I'll be going to the athlete check in today and will probably go drive the bike course so at least I can see what I've seen a thousand times on the simpy stu video up close and personal. The challenge now is to keep the mind occupied and not start thinking about Sunday. I think finalizing my lists for the transition bags and special needs will help with that as well as going through my nutrition and race plan for Sunday again and probably like a 100 more times lol. I'll be nervous enough come Sunday I don't need to be feeling that way now. Oh man 3 more days the waiting is killing me............

2013-09-05 12:03 PM
in reply to: strikyr

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I'm heading over now to see if there's a line for getting registered and then get my wristband and such.
2013-09-05 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Had a little scare this morning. Was putting the race wheels on the bike and noticed that one of my shifter cables was pocking out of the rubber covering/cracked whatever. Was taking it in to have a little tune up done anyways. They now have to replace both front and rear derailer cables due to the one cracking open and the other starting to do the same thing. Glad I caught it but in the same sense now I will have tight cables and possibly have issues shifting gears. They were going to pre-stretch them for me a little they said to help out and hopefully have it ready before they close tonight so I can ride it a little bit and take it back in the morning before we leave if needed.!!. Eek!

Just got done making a semi-sorta- list of everything I need to bring. Bagged up all my bike nutrition into a zip lock bag and some stuff for the run as well. Haven't packed much else yet as I like to do it all at once and go through a check-list that way I don't forget anything important. Getting close!!!
2013-09-05 3:23 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Bevie Had a little scare this morning. Was putting the race wheels on the bike and noticed that one of my shifter cables was pocking out of the rubber covering/cracked whatever. Was taking it in to have a little tune up done anyways. They now have to replace both front and rear derailer cables due to the one cracking open and the other starting to do the same thing. Glad I caught it but in the same sense now I will have tight cables and possibly have issues shifting gears. They were going to pre-stretch them for me a little they said to help out and hopefully have it ready before they close tonight so I can ride it a little bit and take it back in the morning before we leave if needed.!!. Eek! Just got done making a semi-sorta- list of everything I need to bring. Bagged up all my bike nutrition into a zip lock bag and some stuff for the run as well. Haven't packed much else yet as I like to do it all at once and go through a check-list that way I don't forget anything important. Getting close!!!

Good to catch these little things before they turn into bigger things.

2013-09-05 3:32 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Signed in, collected my wristband, IM backpack, and such.

Getting real-er and real-er!

2013-09-05 8:01 PM

Originally posted by Bevie Had a little scare this morning. Was putting the race wheels on the bike and noticed that one of my shifter cables was pocking out of the rubber covering/cracked whatever. Was taking it in to have a little tune up done anyways. They now have to replace both front and rear derailer cables due to the one cracking open and the other starting to do the same thing. Glad I caught it but in the same sense now I will have tight cables and possibly have issues shifting gears. They were going to pre-stretch them for me a little they said to help out and hopefully have it ready before they close tonight so I can ride it a little bit and take it back in the morning before we leave if needed.!!. Eek! Just got done making a semi-sorta- list of everything I need to bring. Bagged up all my bike nutrition into a zip lock bag and some stuff for the run as well. Haven't packed much else yet as I like to do it all at once and go through a check-list that way I don't forget anything important. Getting close!!!

Bevie, if you need the bike double-checked, Atkins Bike Shoppe in Verona can make sure the cables still look good. Tell the owner Dan you talked to Peter. DM me if you need.

2013-09-05 8:03 PM

Signed in, collected my wristband, IM backpack, and such.

Getting real-er and real-er!

Are they the same backpacks as last year? I have enough IMWI drawstring bags, so I was really hoping they would do the backpacks again this year.
2013-09-05 8:08 PM
in reply to: pnelson

Arrows are on the course! Green tape for the run, orange for the bike, and blue for the swim course...the last one was a joke.

The lake was brutal this morning with the wind and the choppy water. At least there were no shark attacks today...9,403 days and counting since the last Wisconsin Lake Shark attack...also a joke...mostly...Wisconsin Lake Sharks prefer Gouda or Brie, not people.
2013-09-05 8:39 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Originally posted by pnelson

Bevie, if you need the bike double-checked, Atkins Bike Shoppe in Verona can make sure the cables still look good. Tell the owner Dan you talked to Peter. DM me if you need.

Thanks Dan. Got the bike picked back up earlier tonight and I will go for an easy(really easy) 30 minute ride in the morning to double check it and make sure everything is tip top. My LBS told me to stop in quick in the morning again if it seems goofy at all. We are swinging through Verona on the way up tomorrow just so I can show the wife part of the bike course and Verona some otw to Madison. See you all tomorrow night maybe!
2013-09-06 6:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
My friends. Looks like the wind is going to be brutal right off the bat race morning. At 5am it's saying already 13-15mph winds out of the ENE... I know everyone has to deal with the winds but holy smokes! That early? Was thinking it wouldn't be to bad if we had to kind of ease into it as the day went by but oh well I guess that won't be the case.

I guess the saying goes to show "Of course it's effing hard! It's Ironman!"
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24