General Discussion Race Reports! » MetaMan Bintan Triathlon - Half Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MetaMan Bintan Triathlon - Half Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bintan,
Indonesia
MetaSport
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 09m
Overall Rank = 57/120
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/
Pre-race routine:

I got to Bintan on Friday and had a look around the course. Went for a swim out to the first marker but stopped at the point where the ocean floor disappeared from view – I thought I’d hold off until I had the safety of numbers before I ventured into the abyss. The water was cool and quite clear with none of the dreaded jelly fish in evidence. I haven’t been doing a lot of swim training but wasn’t too bothered by that. The swim is the least weak of my three disciplines. The plan was to take the swim nice and easy. I then got on the bike and rode out to the first set of hills – round trip of about 30km. I was in Bintan in April on a training camp and we rode an earlier version of HIM bike course which got us to these same hills at the 40km mark. The changes to the course meant we went straight to the hills and hit them at around 10km – a big difference and I was relieved to find I could average my goal of 30 kph with a reasonable heart rate. So, swim sorted and bike locked and loaded. Run….well, I just haven’t been able to put the kms in for months and only recently has my ankle come good. In the past two weeks I’ve done 3-4 comfortable 12-13km runs, so really very underdone. I haven’t done a half marathon for close to 20 years! Long distance running, it’s just like riding a bike, right?

The full ironman distance started at 7 am (we weren’t scheduled to start until 12:30 pm) I headed down to check it out before breakfast. I always like to see whether there are any tricks to the course, whether the left hand side is better than the right etc. The field was pretty small only about 50 competitors and probably about 10 of those were the pros. The conditions were perfect, cool clear water with barely a ripple on the surface. Because the field was so small each competitor got introduced – a nice touch. The race started and the pros took off like their next meal depended upon it. You have to wonder at what goes through some people’s heads. Some of the non-pro competitors were doing breast stroke after about 500m. How do you get to an ironman event without at least having some proficiency in each discipline. Doing breast stroke 500 min into an ironman sets you up for a very, very long day.

I had started stuffing myself with carbs on Friday and kept the water handy and felt pretty good by the time the start came around. Our course was the red course in the picture below.
Swim
  • 39m
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The field was about 130, so not too many but the start chute/line thing was fairly narrow which made it more crowded than it needed to be. The plan was to take the swim very easy so I stood back a bit but it was a bit too far as it turned out. Once I was in the water I found the minimum pace I needed to stay afloat kept me running into the back of a lot of swimmers. It took me a couple of hundred meters to get some clear water. As I only breath on the left I always start on the right hand side of the course. Counter clockwise courses are perfect for me as I can keep the pack and course markers in view with each stroke. The swim was great. Low tempo, hardly any effort. I tried to draft off a few people but often found they were going too slow. Taking it easy and being in very clear water meant I could spare some effort to look around a bit. It was funny seeing how people zig zag over the course and run into each other and head way off track. This was the best swim course I’ve experienced in my limited triathlon time. What little swell there was came from right rear when we were swimming the outer leg so even that helped. I checked my time as headed towards the last buoy (31min) and picked up the pace some and finally managed 39 min. Probably could easily have gone a couple of minutes faster but I really didn’t want to spend any more effort than I had to.
What would you do differently?:

nothing really. Maybe start a bit further forward in the pack.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Out of the water and into T1 – not having done a half before this was my first experience with the whole T1/T2 gear bag thing. I spent some time the night before double checking that I had everything I needed for each leg but then, after having checked the bags in had a fear that I had mixed up the bags and so I would my running shoes in my T1 bag instead of my bike gear. A quick double check settled my nerves. On reflection I probably didn’t need the T1 bag but I didn’t want to take any chances and it was good to sit down and take an extra 30sec to get everything sorted before the bike.

nothing
Bike
  • 3h 00m 1s
  • 90 kms
  • 30.00 km/hr
Comments:

The aim was to average 30kpm. The roads are in pretty good shape and with a decent cloud cover it wasn’t too hot so all things considered the conditions were as good as they could have been. I kept the pace constant and didn’t get too many people passing me. All up maybe 10 people over the whole ride I past a few people as well, which is a pleasant change. I found that 30 kph was a good speed for me. It meant I had to push up to the red line but didn’t need to dig too deep. For a while the average pace dropped down to 29 kph but I knew I was close to the red line and just kept the same pressure and hoped I could make up some time on the easier sections. The support was great on the course and all the locals, especially the kids, line the roads. Hello, hello, hello! As you ride through the little villages. Lots of kids put their hands out for a high five. If you can judge it right you can give 20 kids a brush of your hand as you fly past. Judge it wrong and, whack! You lose 5 km of speed and a few kids lose their arms. They don’t seem to be put off by it though. After a few hard whacks and with 60km under my tyres I stopped doing it. Although I did slow down and give one little kid a high five just before the end of the bike – in celebration for having survived the bike in fairly good shape.
I was really conscious of avoiding dehydrating so packed my bike with electrolyte gels and some soft chewy food. The plan was 1 gel every 30 min and two chew bar things during the course of the ride and empty both bottles every 30 km. I came fairly close to that. I think I had 1 gel left by the time I got off the bike. I really struggle to eat on the bike and this was the best I could do. I had one bottle of water and another of electrolyte and replaced both of these at each water point. The routine was come in to the water point, empty and then jettison the bottle in the cage – lots of little kids calling out for the empty bottle – and then grab a water bottle, change it to my right hand and then grab an electrolyte bottle. Put the electrolyte bottle into the cage and then swap the water bottle back to my left hand so I could empty it into the aerobottle on my handlebars. Jettison the now empty water bottle towards one of the kids beside the road.
There was a bit of local traffic on the roads and at one point I was travelling beside a guy on a scooter for 20 min or so. I was very tempted to jump over into his slipstream but did the noble thing and kept my line. It seemed the first half of the ride took longer than the second half. After the first set of hills we headed on to a part of the course I hadn’t seen before and time seemed to drag. But after we hit the coast we were back on familiar ground and I could then mentally picture what was ahead of me and things got easier. Towards the end of the ride I past a few riders that had gone out too hard, one guy looked like he had taken a nasty fall and was grazed all over his shoulder – ouch.
Back into transition and I try to take my shoes off while still on the bike. It saves a lot of time but if I don’t get the shoe off straight away I tend to get a very bad cramp under my ribs which is really painful. I wasn’t fast enough and rolled into T2 with a killer cramp under my ribs. It doesn’t last long fortunately and it gone by the time I’m putting on my running shoes.
There were a quite a few guys in T2. It was pleased to see how close we all were.

nothing - maybe force some more electrolytes down but otherwise pretty happy,
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 2h 24m
  • 13.11 kms
  • 10m 59s  min/km
Comments:

I had two main aims for the race, finish under 6 hours and run the run. I started the run at 3:44 or thereabouts, which gave me 2:15 or so in which to do the run. I planned on heading out fairly slowly, maybe 6min/km pace and then pick it up as the run went on. My legs felt good and I found myself having to deliberately slow down during the first few km to keep to my race plan. After about 4-5 km I start to get some stomach cramps. I wasn’t sure whether it was the gels or what but all I could do was take small sips of water. It took the edge off my pace but my legs still felt very good and I was making good time. I had agreed with myself that once I had gone over the hill for the second time the I would have broken the run’s back it would be a piece of cake to finish from there. And that is pretty much what happened except that my hamstrings started cramping at around the 11 km mark which took the spring out of my pace. Added to this my feet and calves were starting to get tired and sore. My stomach had settled down and I was able to drink and take gels again but my legs were failing. I think it was simply a lack of mileage that was the problem. The run course has two narrow up and back sections so you get a good look at who is in front and who is behind you.
It started getting dark around 6 pm so anyone still out on the course was handed glow sticks and a headlamp. The course had lighting as well but it wasn’t very effective. This made the running on the uneven track pretty difficult and probably added to the general fatigue. I only had to do 2/3 of one loop in the dark. Some of the ironman distance people would have had to do 3 or more laps in the dark. That’s harsh.
After the second lap I was tracking just over 7 min/km pace and knew that my 6 hr goal was blown but there wasn’t much I could do about it. Any kind of movement beyond my basic run generated spasms of cramp down the back of my right leg. Even the shock of a cold sponge would make my leg cramp. A couple of times it went off and I had to walk for a minute or two until it settled down but I was generally able to keep running.

Post race
Event comments:

Great first effort from the Metasport gang. Small field made the whole experience very pleasent. a larger field would have its charms too but there was nothing wrong with a small crowd. I'll definitely be back again. This is destined to be a red-letter event on the regional calendar I think.

Last updated: 2012-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:00 | 2078 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/
Overall: 30/120
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: one lap out from the beach for about 400 m then clockwise round the headland and into the next bay where the transition area was. fantastic swim course - clear and cool water, no waves, some tail wind current to help push. Just superb.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:00:01 | 90 kms | 30.00 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/120
Wind:
Course: Anyone who cycles in Singapore is familiar with Bintan’s hills. It’s notorious for lots of short and constant hills. Add some equatorial heat to that and you’ve got a challenging place for a ride. I was worried about the bike course. When I rode the course in April (admittedly in a fairly strong group) I really struggled and knew there’d be no way I could finish the run if I ended the ride in the same state as I did last time. As a result I’ve been focusing most of my training on improving my cycling. The actual HIM course turned out to be a bit easier than the earlier version of the course I rode in April. The section around the first water mark on the picture is a new highway so quite smooth and flat. It would be nasty if there was any breeze to speak of but we got lucky.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:24:00 | 13.11 kms | 10m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/120
Performance: Average
Course: The Bintan OD course follows much the same line as the HIM course but doesn’t have the long section along the beach. The HIM course is flatter but a lot of it is on hard packed sand/jungle track stuff which is a bit uneven. There is one hill which is basically the bottom part of the course. But all up it was a pretty easy course of 3 laps of 7 km with lots of water points.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-18 5:53 AM

Subject: MetaMan Bintan Triathlon - Half Course

2012-09-19 4:30 AM
in reply to: #4415986

Subject: RE: MetaMan Bintan Triathlon - Half Course
Nice report and nice result! Agree the event should become popular regionally. I'm heading over again for the TDB in Nov, after more training on the bike! See you out there next time!Mark
2012-09-19 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats on toughing it out and that looks like a great bike split for all those hills. I did the Oly there last year and that was tough enough! Great swim course, killer heat and hills on bike and run.  (What I'd really like to do is the IM swim course, then the Oly bike and run!) It is a cool bike course though with all the villages and the kids. I had some of the same issues as you--got dehydrated on the bike and then quad cramps on the run. Considered doing the HIM this year but it was my backup if a race in the US didn't go well and it did. Thank goodness I didn't sink any $ into Metaman as I've been sick and/or injured almost continually since early August! Glad to see the initial running went well; hope to do it next year if I'm still in the region and I can get back to proper training!
2012-09-20 3:52 AM

thanks guys. I'm stoked to havecome out of the race in fairly good shape. I've been lurking on this site reading other people's race reports to get some race tips so thought it only fair to give a little back. 

Mark, I'm doing the TdB as well, Cat 3.  I'm the not-so-super domestic for the Metasport team. Feel free to see hello as you go past!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MetaMan Bintan Triathlon - Half Course Rss Feed