General Discussion Race Reports! » Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Salamanca, New York
United States
ridecarbon
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 56s
Overall Rank = 15/27
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/04
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15am. Ate toast with peanut butter, a banana and a glass of OJ. Took a cup of coffee with me to the race site. Had packed all my bags the night before so it was just a matter of getting everything into my husband's car. He loaded up our bikes.

Went to packet pick-up to get my race ID and swag bag. Set up my transition area. Sean had brought garbage bags which was great to put my stuff on and then cover up everything since the ground was wet from last night's rain and it was predicted to rain again today. After I felt transition was set up as well as I could it was off to body marking. Had a few minutes to walk around before the pre-race meeting.
Event warmup:

Mainly just walking around the site getting everything set up and organized. I did spend some time in the water to get my wet suit ready and it was actually warmer in the water than on land!
Swim
  • 26m 19s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was very well marked and easy to navigate. Started with all the females doing the sprint triathlon, 27. The water was calm. Even with all of us starting at the same time, I did not swim into anyone or have anyone near me for the duration of the swim. I felt good heading towards the first buoy, breathing was good, my stroke felt good. It was easy to sight the buoy due to it's size. I noticed that people on the other side between buoys 2-3 were walking/running in the water which was odd. Once I rounded the buoy I understood why, it was very shallow and I kept kicking big logs trying to swim. I half walked/ran, half swam for a while. I began doing breast stroke at this point to catch my breath a bit and the water was cold to keep putting my face in! I had some trouble this point in the swim due to the seaweed. It felt like my legs were stuck in a net and my left foot cramped up. I did some side stroke and tried to stretch my foot out. The seaweed was awful, as soon as I got untangled there was more. Finally rounded the last buoy and headed to shore, the seaweed was a little bit better at this point. 2 of the guys in the wave after me (11 min. later) doing the HIM passed me at this point. Touched the bottom and walked out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, I felt pretty good about my swim. Maybe try to swim more freestyle but honestly with the seaweed/shallow water issue I don't know if that would've been possible.
Transition 1
  • 06m 1s
Comments:

I was so cold at this point, my feet were numb and I was shaking trying to dry off and get in my bike clothes. I decided to wear my leg and arm warmers and had a bit of trouble putting these on while wet.

Had caught up to my husband at this point who was in wave 1 for the swim. He seemed surprised to see me! He left T1 before me however.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 51m 17s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 14.51 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was FREEZING! I knew it would be after getting out of the water and it being so cold. I am definitely happy with my choice of wearing leg and arm warmers and gloves. The first 6.2 miles were a steady climb uphill and my legs definitely felt it. I passed probably 7-8 people which felt great and boosted my ego! Saw my husband headed back to transition and he yelled, "Almost there!" to which I thought, "Thank God!" as at this point I was really cold and beginning to shake. All I could think was, "The faster I go the sooner I will be back to T2 and can warm up during the run." I felt pretty fast on the bike today. At one point there was some sun on the course which felt fantastic! It didn't last long though.

Not much, I felt good on the bike even though I was COLD!
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

I was so cold during T2 that I had some trouble getting my running shoes on. I had no feeling in my feet at this point and my legs kept cramping up as I changed shoes. I didn't sit down because the ground was wet.

Not much I could do, it was freezing!
Run
  • 31m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Started my run with numb feet. I felt pretty good anyways and was feeling fairly confident. A few other people from AE were coming back towards me and shouted encouragement. Saw my husband after he had turned around to come back and he said I was almost there. At this point my knees were starting to tighten up but I tried to run through it. I made it probably another mile or so before I had to stop and stretch out my legs and speed walk for a bit. At this point one of the ladies in my AG passed me. We had been going back and forth all day, I passed her, she passed me, I passed her, LOL. I knew we were both on track to podium so I really wanted to catch and pass her again! There was just no way. My knees were both feeling tight at this point and I stopped two more times to stretch out and had to slow down to a jog. I was able to push for the last few hundred yards to finish.

Wear my knee brace, I don't know really. My knees have been giving me trouble lately.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the site, got my bike and other gear out of transition. Stopped by ridecarbon's tent and talked with the girls there. Mrs. ridecarbon gave me some hot coffee and a homemade corn muffin which was super delicious. Ate a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold temperatures. My knees tightening up on me.

Event comments:

This event was fantastic! Gregg (ridecarbon) did a great job (and loaned me a wet suit which saved me today!) Events were on time, lots of volunteers, everything was clearly marked, very organized, etc. I would definitely recommend athletes to come to this event which will surely become an annual event. Great atmosphere and great people.

Last updated: 2012-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:19 | 1056 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/04
Overall: 15/27
Performance: Average
Suit: Synergy Endorphin: sleeveless
Course: Straight out to a huge yellow triangle buoy, turn to go straight to a 2nd huge yellow buoy, turn and back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:17 | 12.4 miles | 14.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/04
Overall: 13/27
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The first 6.2 miles were a steady uphill climb then there was a turn around and back down for 6.2 miles to T2.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:31:06 | 03.1 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/04
Overall: 14/27
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat with a couple of small hills; out 1.55 miles turn around and head back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-24 7:32 AM

User image

Subject: Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pain in the Alleganies Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed