General Discussion Race Reports! » Bethany Beach First Responders Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bethany Beach First Responders Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bethany Beach, Delaware
United States
Bethany Beach First Responders Triathlon & Duathlon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m
Overall Rank = 228/390
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

2 Bananas and a Rise Bar with coffee and a bottle of smart water. It was dang cold at the start of the race so I ran up and down the surrounding streets to warm up, literally. Race got off to a late start because so many people got there late, they had to keep transition open late.
Event warmup:

Ran around and walked along the beach .6ish to the swim start.
Swim
  • 24m
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Get more ocean water swims in, the sea makes ya work harder :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

I was a little out of it after the choppy swim, I could not get out of there quickly.

Practice.
Bike
  • 1h 08m
  • 18.64 miles
  • 16.45 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

I got a little scared because I had lead legs getting off the bike. I fumbled with my socks, I usually don't, so that took a little extra time.

I am thinking of getting some tri running shoes so I can skip socks for the shorter races.
Run
  • 39m 19s
  • 4.35 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt really slow but I left transition at the same time as this guy and for some reason I decided I wanted to try and keep up with him. There we were pluggin along around 8:45 and that is fast for me but I felt good. It's only 4 miles I thought, so I am gonna try and keep up. All of the sudden 2.5 miles in my rabbit keels over and drops off, I am determined to keep the pace. I see a cute little girl is on the side of the road jumping up and down (and only cheering for the ladies), shouting "Girl Power YEAAAA!" I slap that little angel 5 and as I approach mile 3ish I turn a corner and here is that dang headwind again. It takes so much energy to push through that even running and my pace slowed a bit. You make a final turn and finish on the boardwalk, it was a really nice finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

My hubby and beach loving chocolate lab met me at the finish and we walked around a little. Piranha sports has screens up with your splits right after you finish, nice touch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I almost psyched myself out at the start because I was so cold. Lesson learned, I am going to bundle up and hand off my swears right at the start.

The strong wind was a challenge and slowed me down, but I refused to let it mentally discourage me.

Event comments:

I would fo sho do this race again. Well run for an inaugural event. Really enjoyed the course.

Also, if you are a vegetarian you must do this race because they had delish portobello mushroom burgers for us to eat after the race.

Last updated: 2012-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:00 | 1094 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/390
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course: The water temp was nice, felt good in my sleeveless. The swim was essentially a point to point - my fav! This was my first ocean water swim, like ever, so I thought it was rough out there but I have nothing to compare it to. I just dug in and kept swimming. It was really fun to change it up and do an ocean race. Lots of room to find your own space.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:00 | 18.64 miles | 16.45 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: This was a lovely out'n'back, the police took care to cone off a section of the road for us riders. It's always nice to not get run off the road by a vehicle during a race. Holy headwind Batman! Geez, I fought that wind like it was my job all the way to the turn around and only averaged 13.2 miles an hour. After the turn around I hammered the ish out of the last 9 miles to try and make up some time. You ride over this cool bridge and get a really nice view at the top, bonus!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:39:19 | 04.35 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Course: Relatively flat through a residential area. 2 water stops towards the end unless you had the energy to slow down and cross in front of oncoming runners - I did not.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-25 8:04 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: Bethany Beach First Responders Triathlon

2012-09-28 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4427600

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: RE: Bethany Beach First Responders Triathlon

Hey there, Way to tuff out those head winds on the bike. Once you got to the turn around it felt like I you were on a motorcycle! 

Finding someone to pace off of is a great tool! Always watch for someone who trails off and you slow down over time and then don't realize it. 

I had such a great time! Hopefully next year we can catch up!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bethany Beach First Responders Triathlon Rss Feed