General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To (swim) draft, or not to draft, that is my question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-09-27 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4428115

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: RE: To (swim) draft, or not to draft, that is my question

I think there is a tactic that is often overlooked by triathletes. It's what I call chase & catch (and recover). What you do is start off by finding strong pace for yourself. Notice I did not say sprint to the first buoy. Too many triathletes have read/told that this is what you should do. Of course if you are a FOB and will finish in the top 10 out of the water then by all means do it. I can't tell you how many times I've watched people going out with me and I wonder if I will simply be out classed in the race. Then at 50 yd half of them drop back, and at 100 yd another 25% drop back. By 200 yd there are just a small pack of us (and a small pack way ahead).

Most people would be better served by finding that strong pace at the start and if they feel strong they can draft up the side of someone (or a pack) and just keep going. You swim hard to bridge to the target swimmer ahead and then take a few moments drafting to recover. Rinse & repeat. When I was having a shoulder problem that prevented me from sprinting I used this tactic very successfully and always finished FOP.

2012-09-27 6:53 PM

User image

Regular
Santa Clara, UT
I have given up attempting to draft on the swim for all the reasons you just listed. All the articles make it sound so easy and so effective.  It is a lot easier said than done, that is for sure. IT JUST DOESNT WORK FOR ME! It's cool for about 30 seconds but then I find myself ready to get kicked in the face by the feet of the guy in front of me.  I'm going solo on the swim, thank you very much!
2012-09-27 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4429955

User image

Veteran
siouxcityhawk - 2012-09-27 10:40 AM ...

Our local tri club does organized OWS in which we practice drafting off of each other.  I do a lot of the pulling but some of the others will return the favor if they have the energy.

During races, proper drafting is almost impossible but finding a good draft for a few 100M at a time is certainly doable.

Oh, and there was talk at our last group swim about working together during a race to pull each other back and forth.  Not sure if we could pull it off but could be fun to try out. 

I have a training buddy who swims very close pace to mine.  I think this is a very interesting idea.  We cycle together in pacelines all the time and are well practiced at rolling off the front after 30 to 60 seconds.  We should be able to do the same on the swim, after some practice.  Perhaps switching after a set number of strokes, about every 75 to 100 meters.

I know most of us triathletes are committed to the 'run your own race' strategy and the ethos of 'no outside support', but I think everyone agrees drafting on the swim is allowed within the rules.  Does anyone have an ethical issue with drafting on the swim, after having practiced it with a partner to the point of doing it with precision?

I'm very curious if anyone has time trialed in a pool and has any data to suggest how much advantage could be gained.  5%?  10%?  more?

2012-09-27 11:12 PM
in reply to: #4428700

User image

Pro
Tom Demerly. - 2012-09-26 11:13 AM

The key thing is, once you are comfortable with roughhousing in the lead group, put yourself a little ahead of where you are in swim ability.

I know- that advice is totally contrary to what we normally hear, but hear me out...

Gun goes off. You start swimming. You try to get on a pair of feet but you were a little ambitious and swimmers are going around you. You get worked a little and you slide back in the group as they pass you. But ratehr quickly you find a pair of heels you can stay on, just barely... and you hang there for an all-out 5 minute effort. Then you slide back to another pair of feet and hang there. If you play it right you get a good swim split.

You may get banged up a bit, but it's worth it in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah - that's about what I was gonna' say.  you've gotta' go out a little faster at the start than you can hold for the race, and then grab onto someone who is passing you (or who has also jumped out in front of you) and be able to relax just enough to make it sustainable, and yet still stay on their hip.  You've gotta' have a little extra at any particular time as with the crowds you'll lose that draft and need to re-catch them.  

2012-09-28 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

To avoid the problems of touching feet in front of you or difficulty finding the pace of the swimmer in front of you, draft at the person's hip. It is the best place to be. Think of migrating birds flying in a "V". If you really want to learn about drafting read this:

Analysis of drafting effects in swimming using computational fluid dynamicshttp://www.jssm.org/vol7/n1/9/v7n1-9pdf.pdf

2012-09-28 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

Drafting or trying to draft in the swim leg of a triathlon is a complete waste for 95% of participants. Not only does the drafter need to be a good swimmer, the person being drafted does too. Usually, and I mean like 95% of the time usually, it's the blind leading the blind.

Concentrate on swimming straight....that should be #1 priority.

2012-09-28 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4432106

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Fastyellow - 2012-09-28 12:02 PM

Drafting or trying to draft in the swim leg of a triathlon is a complete waste for 95% of participants. Not only does the drafter need to be a good swimmer, the person being drafted does too. Usually, and I mean like 95% of the time usually, it's the blind leading the blind.

I agree with this 100%  I feel you should draft when the opportunity presents itself, but not make it a priority.  Oh.....and don't draft at the Hip!!  Since it slows the person your drafting off down, not only is it pointless because it's hurting both of you, it's sure to pi$$ someone off.

2012-09-28 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4432106

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Fastyellow - 2012-09-28 2:02 PM

Is that the same 95% that don't do flip turns properly?

*runs and ducks for cover*

2012-09-28 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4431179

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

dabeachbums5 - 2012-09-27 4:53 PM I have given up attempting to draft on the swim for all the reasons you just listed. All the articles make it sound so easy and so effective.  It is a lot easier said than done, that is for sure. IT JUST DOESNT WORK FOR ME! It's cool for about 30 seconds but then I find myself ready to get kicked in the face by the feet of the guy in front of me.  I'm going solo on the swim, thank you very much!

This sums it up for me.  I have tried many, many times to draft in races and in practice and it just hasn't been a positive experience for me.  I still try in the pool to practice with faster swimmers but they seem to just pull away no matter what.

2012-09-28 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
technoyos - 2012-09-26 8:58 AM

Every race (sprints and oly.), the same dilemma - draft or not? I understand (and feel) how important drafting is in the swim leg is, but still:

I can't seem to find a swimmer that is in-sync with my speed, so I find myself swimming not as fast as I can. That is not such a a big problem in itself, but what happens is I don't swim as efficiently and naturally as I'm able to swim, my legs tend to drop more because I'm not creating enough forward momentum and sometime I have to stop myself from hitting the legs of the person I draft off of. 

When I get to annoyed and start swimming faster, by myself,no drafting, trying to catch the next group. I feel I swim much better, much more fluid in the water, but I waste more energy, and the difference from the next group is about 10-15 seconds so I wonder if that worth the effort.

The last race (Olympic distance), I tried stating faster than I usually do, and I found myself swimming with the stronger swimmers, but I still had the same dilemma, I spent the entire swim leg drafting off this guy, often slowing down trying to keep in his stream, knowing that if I swam alone the entire leg I would finish faster, but more tired.

Can anyone share their experience? Are you able to find that perfect match that you can draft off and swim at your perfect pace at the same time? Is drafting always better than not drafting?

Thanks,Yossi

If you can find someone to draft off, you can save energy which is great.

What you want to do is start the race swimming a faster pace than you plan to keep. That way, you find the heels of someone who is slightly faster. So you don't run into the issue you are having.

Personally, I have found that drafting is near impossible for me. I am usually top 3 in my AG for the swim, so finding that ONE person who is faster than me to draft of, usually not happening. I just swim my swim and usually end up in waves ahead of mine.

2012-09-28 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4432113

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Meulen - 2012-09-28 10:05 AM

Since it slows the person your drafting off down, not only is it pointless because it's hurting both of you, 

I have never seen anything that supports this statement.

Here is a simple article on drafting.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/triathlon.html

One other consideration is sighting. If you are not drafting you will have to sight and use a lot of energy. Also unless the person is swimming completely off thew course you will expend less energy drafting off someone who is not swimming straight that you can use on the other 2 legs of the race, and if they are faster than you, you will have a quicker time. Been there done that.

Edited by E=H2O 2012-09-28 12:42 PM

2012-09-28 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Or you could go the route of see an ankle/foot ahead of you...grab it and swim over top of them.  Then with other hand grab their shoulder and pull/push off that as well.  It will slow them way down and give you a great boost.  Uh...just don't let them catch back up to you though.  That could end badly...
2012-09-28 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4432113

Veteran
Canton, GA
Meulen - 2012-09-28 1:05 PM

I agree with this 100%  I feel you should draft when the opportunity presents itself, but not make it a priority.  Oh.....and don't draft at the Hip!!  Since it slows the person your drafting off down, not only is it pointless because it's hurting both of you, it's sure to pi$$ someone off.

I am fairly certain that is not accurate.  You are riding the bow wave of the swimmer in front.  It has no influence on their speed -- unless you keep hitting them and grabbing them to pull them backwards.  Wink

Ask Jason Lezak how drafting worked for him in the 2008 Olympic Finals of the Men's 4X100m Relay.  

2012-09-28 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4432257

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Gunky - 2012-09-28 11:18 AM
Meulen - 2012-09-28 1:05 PM

Oh.....and don't draft at the Hip!!  Since it slows the person your drafting off down, not only is it pointless because it's hurting both of you, it's sure to pi$$ someone off.

I am fairly certain that is not accurate.  You are riding the bow wave of the swimmer in front.  It has no influence on their speed -- unless you keep hitting them and grabbing them to pull them backwards.  Wink

Ask Jason Lezak how drafting worked for him in the 2008 Olympic Finals of the Men's 4X100m Relay.  

People often say they were pulled along while drafting in the water or on a bike. This leads people to conclude that it results in more work for the person doing the "pulling". The fluid dynamics in water (or high speed on a bike) of a constantly changing deformable body is complicated, and when you throw in 2 or more deformable objects it makes it very hard to do a quantitative prediction. Nevertheless, there are conditions which could exist that would actually increase the speed of the leading body. The simplest case is where the presence of the additional body decreases turbulence for the leading body.

Edited by E=H2O 2012-09-28 4:55 PM
2012-09-28 8:34 PM

Veteran
Indiana

The one time drafting has really worked for me, I started right behind some guys from my tri club who I know are strong swimmers. They dropped me at the turnaround bouy, but I got an awesome draft for the first half of the race. My swim split shattered my previous PR.

Other than that, I've never found someone who was a good match for me to draft off of in a race. Seems like out of every 10 people I encounter in the water, 6 or 7 of them are vastly slower, and 3 or 4 of them are so vastly faster they're gone before I realize they're there.

2012-09-28 8:50 PM

Veteran
Indiana

The one time drafting has really worked for me, I started right behind some guys from my tri club who I know are strong swimmers. They dropped me at the turnaround bouy, but I got an awesome draft for the first half of the race. My swim split shattered my previous PR.

Other than that, I've never found someone who was a good match for me to draft off of in a race. Seems like out of every 10 people I encounter in the water, 6 or 7 of them are vastly slower, and 3 or 4 of them are so vastly faster they're gone before I realize they're there.

2014-09-03 1:05 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

I'm typically a FOP swimmer in Olympic races so I try to position myself towards the front portion of the swim.  When the gun goes off I take off aggressively to find clean water.  If someone passes me then I try to hang on.  If that person is blowing their load I can usually tell when their pace slows down and I just slide around them.  I keep this process going until I'm in the very front (never happens), I hook on to someone who is going my perfect pace (never happens), or until I get into a nice rythmn with clear water in front of me (sometimes happens). 

Our local tri club does organized OWS in which we practice drafting off of each other.  I do a lot of the pulling but some of the others will return the favor if they have the energy.

During races, proper drafting is almost impossible but finding a good draft for a few 100M at a time is certainly doable.

Oh, and there was talk at our last group swim about working together during a race to pull each other back and forth.  Not sure if we could pull it off but could be fun to try out.

Yeah I rarely am able to draft for more than 100m, either the swimmer drifts, or changes speed. I need to work on it a bit more, because it is very effective. What I plan on doing is finding someone I know is say roughly 10% faster than me and draft off them from the start. I’ve tried drafting off one of the top swimmers (an Olympic swimmer) and just couldn’t keep up, even sitting right on his toes..
2014-09-03 1:08 AM
in reply to: zedzded

I wonder at what point someone becomes too fast? If they're 10s/100m quicker than you? I know when we were squad training, we were doing 400 straight and I cheekily sat on someones toes who is quicker than me and I ended up having to swim with one arm so I didn't keep hitting their feet. It felt really slow, but we were moving at low 1.20s.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To (swim) draft, or not to draft, that is my question Rss Feed  

of 2