Woodstock, Illinois
United States
KJ Multisport
Total Time = 2h 11m 51s
Overall Rank = 3/53
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Wake up early, got things in the car and left. Ate a little bit in the car, as it's a 40 min drive over. Temps were in the mid-30's this morning, so kind of cool.

Figuring out what to wear was interesting (I set up options the night before). Want to get the first run right, but also keep it minimal for transitions. Dressing exactly right for a 10k would mean freezing on the bike. Ended up wearing Smartwool ski socks (knee length) and another pair of ankle socks. Wore both tri-suits. Used a lightweight compression long-sleeve. For the bike, I switched shoes and added some lighter, but highly windproof gloves.
Event warmup:

A little bit of jogging & strides. Bike just needs to be put together, always been able to go from the start with something else before it.
Run
  • 41m 32s
  • 6.33 miles
  • 06m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The run starts up at the top of the park. I lined up just off the front, it's a small local event, so I should be one of the faster guys. Started off a bit behind pace, as I always do, then let the early downhills pick it up.

Had to kind of guess at pacing to start. My fitness has been all wonky for some time, so wasn't sure if I could hold what I should be able to. Figured around 6:30 pacing should be ok, so started with that. A little bit in, I saw that this was putting me just over 170 bpm. For the run leg of an Oly, I might bump that up a little, but since this was before the bike, I kept it there. Seemed to work well.

Saw a few guys get away some, maybe 6 total in front of me? One guy was flying, but found out later he was part of a relay. Managed to pass two of them. One in the middle, the other on the uphill later on. Interesing how everything tends to just expand out like an accordian instead of all the overlapping I'm used to from tri's.

Got around the run ok, felt like I'd been working a little, but would be a safe half-marathon pace for now.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Got into transition. Switched shoes, put on the gloves. Decided to ditch the glasses as they still had condensation all over them. Had trouble with the helmet. The retention system was out of place, somehow curved in (but not bent). Given what this was, I took the time to make sure it was fixed right before going out. Probably cost me a full minute, but better safe than sorry.
What would you do differently?:

Check the helmet better ahead of time.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 36s
  • 25.02 miles
  • 22.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Hoping to finally have a solid bike again, but could tell right away it wasn't going to be quite what I wanted. Still hoping for a little under that, but fell way off. Passed a few people in the sprint and one for sure in the Oly.

I was still moving along, but just never felt right.Made it up & around the hill well enough both times. Never had to leave the big ring anywhere on the course.

Almost ran into a truck somewhat near transition when the kids manning the corner let him past in spite of my shouting not to. In this setup, the driver should have known better than to go here anyway, but proceeded right along with the runners. I yelled at him again and rode around.

Ended up at 271 AP/275 NP, or about 40 watts from where I should be. Got to figure this out. Some might look at this as only 3 sec off of first, but that power difference is huge. And I think breaking an hour on this course is very do-able for me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

In & out more easily than T1
Run
  • 22m
  • 3.27 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Just ran. Knew there was no one that close behind me, but hoping to see someone ahead. Still had trouble getting my legs going. Fun on the park path, as this is a bit tight on the corners and hills in a couple spots. Ended up with my usual 6:50ish first mile while my feet thawed out. Hoped for better with the general downhill.

Didn't see anyone else until down in the neighborhood. Saw 3 others, but they had already done 1 or 2 of the loops. Had hoped for two (one turned out to be a relay). Figured I wouldn't catch any of them, but kept the pace at an honest effort.

Pulled off the longsleeve partway through ad wrapped it around my arm. Kept telling myself it was a club to use in case anyone caught up, just to help keep my motivation up. I saw the few behind, but they still had the loops so I had more than a couple minute lead with a mile to go. Up the hill, through the finish and done.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much would have mattered.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed food, talked with people I knew. Watched for some others to come in. Turns out the guy behind me is one who caught me late on the run in the Rev3 Knoxville Half last year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Something has been off for me for awhile. Going to have to be more pro-active in getting it back. I don't think it's just going to show up unless I do something.

Event comments:

Race was nice. Will look at it again. Course distances weren't perfect, but close enough for me. Mile markers could use some work (more than a few tenths off for some), but I use the Garmin anyway. Pretty good job if that's the biggest thing.

Last updated: 2012-09-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:32 | 06.33 miles | 06m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/53
Performance:
Course: 1 loop. Starts off downhill, kind of flattish, then back uphill to the transition.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:52
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:05:36 | 25.02 miles | 22.88 mile/hr
Overall: 2/53
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 1 1/2 loop course. There is a few miles at the far end we do twice. This includes the "big hill". It's really just over 200ft of gain over ~1.5 miles, so not too bad.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:00 | 03.27 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 3/53
Performance:
Course: Down the hill, loop the maze in the neighborhood, and back up.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-09-26 10:57 AM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: Woodstock Duathlon

2012-09-26 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4428378

User image

Subject: RE: Woodstock Duathlon
Great job pushing though.  I wish my off days were at 270 watts...LOL.
2012-09-26 7:08 PM
in reply to: #4428840

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Woodstock Duathlon
Haha! I need a new bike to get somewhere.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woodstock Duathlon Rss Feed