RedMan Triathlon
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 59m 42s
Overall Rank = 11/173
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Excited about my first IM race. Drove from KC Friday morning and dropped off bags at the host Marriot. drove 3 miles to race site and rode the 10 mile trail around the lake with my wife, Adrienne, then ran a couple of miles. It was over 90 degrees by 4 PM and knew the heat would be a factor tomorrow. Had some pasta at Macaroni Grill with friends from KC, soaked in the hot tub at the Marriot, then went to sleep surprisingly easily. Up at 0400 for oatmeal, bread with PB and honey, and coffee. Off to the race for an uplifting message and prayer from FCA leadership from headquarters in KC.
Event warmup:

No warmup other than a quick jog and stretch. Great national anthem, then got ready to get in the lake. The "Ultramax guy" gave out last minute swim instructions while waiting on the red-dirt beach of Lake Hefner. The water was perfect temp for wetsuits and ended up plenty deep once away from the beach.
Swim
  • 1h 18m 55s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

large group start left me very wide and off course for a while. tried drafting for a while. got in a groove the second loop and picked up the pace. My calf cramped once each lap making me stop and stretch my foot back. Had to kick a little harder to navigate around other swimmers. swam all the way up to the shallow beach and was able to run fairly well to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the buoys, use more bilatteral breathing to see them on my left.
Transition 1
  • 05m 31s
Comments:

Used the changing tents to apply Chamois Butter and sunscreen. (Never sunburned the whole race!) Ate a gel and grabbed my nutrition for the bike.
Bike
  • 5h 42m 41s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Probably bikes too hard for the hot conditions. Paid for it during the run.

practice more long rides in my arrow bars or raise them up higher.
Transition 2
  • 06m
Comments:

lesson learned, Body Glide will melt in the hot sun! opened it up and it ran all over my transition mat. Still mananged to smear it on my nipples and toes before the run.

my trisuit chaffed under my arms. Need to run with a different top.
Run
  • 4h 46m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

More emotional at the finish than I have ever been after a race. I was sobbing as I crossed the finish line and hugged my wife who sacrificed so much so I could train these last 9 months.
Post race
Warm down:

Great massage tent.

Last updated: 2012-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:55 | 4224 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/173
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: two triangle/rectagles counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:42:41 | 112 miles | 19.61 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat fast course but leaving the lake site encountered the most traffic, construction sites, and narrow roads. About 10 miles out it opened up but got much rougher in places. Passed lots of half-couse racers until the second lap which was pretty desolate. Had to sing praise and worship songs out loud to pass the time! the NE wind really pickeup up the second lap and my apetite started to go away. Drank my coke, peanut butter sandwich, fig newtons, and coconut water after my special needs bag on the second loop. My neck and shoulders really tightened up despite standing up in the saddle every 20 miles and had to ride with my hands on top of my elbow pads the last 20 miles.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:46:39 | 26.2 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: The race really began for me during the run. My gut started cramping, got nauseous, back and neck were cramping but kept running. Had to stop to walk during the aid stations, especially during the last two laps. Great aid station volunteers but one of the gave my a cup of pickle-juice instead of Gatorade and I almost vomited! I prayed a lot but don't remember much about the run. My training partner Brandon met me and ran the last lap in with me. AFter a bathroom break in the woods, I ran the last 3 miles in with a last surge of energy.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-27 9:45 PM

Subject: Redman Full Distance Triathlon

2012-09-27 10:15 PM
in reply to: #4431339

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Redman Full Distance Triathlon
Wow! Amazing splits - congratulations!
2012-09-27 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4431339

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Redman Full Distance Triathlon
Nice race!!!!  Way to push through the pickle juice. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redman Full Distance Triathlon Rss Feed