General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half ironman training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-30 12:21 PM

Subject: Half ironman training

Hi all, i'm new to this forum however i have read numerous articles and posts on here, i am keen to see opinions on my training programme but first i will give you some general information. 

i am 18

5 foot 11 inches

80kg

My aim is to compete in an half ironman one year from now between now and then i plan to get a good winter and compete in possibly one sprint, two olympic distances as well as an half marathon and swimathon all with the aim of peaking for the half ironman.

My plan is this

Monday Morning - Gym (squats, deadlifts and clean and press)

Monday evening - Swim (up to 3k)

Tuesday Evening - turbo training

Wednesday - Run ( 3 mile run followed by short sprints and hills)

Thursday Evening- Turbo training followed by swim up tp 3k

Friday Morning - Gym (squats, deadlifts and clean and press)

Saturday - Run (long slow run)

Sunday - Rest

Now if i need to i am willing to remove the gym sessions however i thought it would help build up the endurance in my legs. if so what would i be best to replace them with?

2012-09-30 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4433837

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Half ironman training

I hate to be so blunt, but I think you need to go back and start again from scratch on this plan, as it's really far from what you need to do a HIM. If you want to look ripped, then go ahead and spend lots of time in the gym and doing short/fast runs. But if you want to do well in an endurance event that lasts 5-6 hours or more, then you're going to need to spend a lot of time doing real endurance work, skip the gym, and strive to look like a waif.

We don't know much about your background in any of the sports, but as a starting point for winter training, you probably focus on the fundamentals in each sport:

Swim: get good technique above all else, and you'll need expert advice for that; if you have good swim form, then swimming a decent HIM swim leg is not such a big deal.

Bike: whether riding outdoors or indoors, put a lot of time in the saddle, and focus on building your FTP (google it). No need to worry about going for hours and hours just yet, but do plenty of hard riding over durations of 15 mins - 1 hour.

Run: run lots, mostly easy, sometimes (occasionally) hard. Just get in a bunch of miles. If you can get to comfortably running 30-40 miles per week in 5-6 runs, then you've got a good foundation for a HIM.

Do keep coming back to BT. You'll find loads of great stuff here.

2012-09-30 12:44 PM

Thank you for being honest. i appreciate your advice. For my background i have been part of an national sprint squad for 400m hurdles and also i am a surf instructor therefore have some knowlegde of swimming to pass the NBLQ.

i will drop the two gym sessions and subsitute in another swim and run. 

Thanks for being honest.

Is there any problems with my plan for the sprint, swimathon or do you think that will stand me in good stead?

2012-09-30 11:17 PM

User image

Master
Check out some of the plans on this site.  And plan to spend a lot more time on your bike than two trainer sessions per week.
2012-10-27 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4433849

Yeah your distance just ISN'T there. You need to run a whole lot more and for longer, at least an hour a day or 6-7 miles per day at least.
2012-10-30 8:01 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Here is an example of what others are talking about -- also, as said above, check out the plans here for different examples.  (Bear in mind that this is generic, not tailored so much to you, just an example.)

Monday Morning - Easy run (3 miles)

Monday Evening - Swim (3k, hard, short intervals like 50s and 100s)

Tuesday Evening - Bike 1 hour (warm-up 15 minutes; 6x4'/1 intervals; cool-down)

Wednesday - Run (3 miles)

Thursday Morning - Swim (3K, longer intervals like 200s and 400s)

Thursday Evening- Bike 1 hour (warm-up 15 minutes; 4x10' (or later in the plan, 2x20') intervals; cool-down)

Friday Morning - Run (5 miles, working up to 7-8 over the 6 months)

Friday Evening - Swim (3K, easier swim, focusing on technique and drills but also with some 100s)

Saturday - Bike (outdoors if possible, initially 1 hour, working up to 3 hours or more over the 6 months)

Sunday - Run (long run, not slow!  Start at 5 miles and work up to 12 over the 6 months)

I would suggest that while not utterly minimal, the above plan is near the lower end of what you'd want to do to have a great race.  Again, I'm not actually suggesting that you follow that plan (though you could do worse); it's just an example to get you in the ballpark.

Good luck to you.  You obviously have great enthusiasm.  A huge challenge of endurance sport is maintaining that enthusiasm for the long haul because making big gains in this sport is a multi-year process.  The good news for you is that at the very beginning, the gains do initially come pretty quickly (but still, think months, not weeks).

2012-11-06 9:59 PM

Veteran
Wellsaid experior. Keep on searching for a quality plan for you. This site has a good beginner plan. That would bea good start. There are a lot of good plans out there. Plan on swimming at least 3x a week, biking at least 3 times a week and running 4 times a week. Expect to spend a minimum of 7 hrs a week training with key weeks around 10. Using an established plan that you trust and learning from that will give you a great understanding of training methods and try moving from there.
2012-11-09 5:19 PM

ok so since i have last been on here i have completely revamped my training for the last 3 weeks and took on board peoples opinion

My plan is this

Monday Morning - 30-45 minute run

Monday evening - Swim (up to 3k)

Tuesday Evening - turbo training

Wednesday - Swim 2.5-3k , 1-2 hour bike ride

Thursday Evening- Turbo training followed a 30 minute run

Friday Morning - Swim 2-3k

Saturday - Bike for 1 hour followed by a short run 

Sunday - Rest

however i do realise i need to incorporate a long run in here? where do you think would suit best?
2012-11-09 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4492404

Veteran

however i do realise i need to incorporate a long run in here? where do you think would suit best?

Friday

2012-11-09 7:26 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
That's better, but honestly if you want to do more than just finish the race (nothing wrong with that...) then you need to either find a plan (or a coach) or do a lot of reading on designing a plan (a LOT of reading).  For a good race, you don't just repeat the same week over and over.
2012-11-09 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4492404

Veteran
Still needs a lot of work. You don't really have a plan just a set of guidelines. With that you are missing a bunch of basic training principles like overload, progression and periodization. You would do much better with the program on this site. I f you really want to plan things ou on your own, pick up the triathletes training bible or endurance athletes edge. There pretty intense but they contain the basic knowledge you need to create a quality plan.. good luck

2012-11-10 10:14 AM

in repsonse to overload, progression, plateau, recovery.

i know each week will have to be progressive from the last and also that some harder weeks and then recovery weeks. i am currently studying sport and exercise science at university so this is second nature and i have this planned out to race day however i just was wandering about my set days for swimming etc. 

What on the training i am doing would be a realistic time? Sub 7 ?

2012-11-10 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4492878

Veteran
I too have a degree in ex. Science. I started writing triathlon plans when I was in college. I thought i knew a lot and i did but i didn't really know how to apply it to a sport that was new to me. The books i mentioned earlier and serious training for endurance athletes taught me so much about applying the science i knew. This understanding made me so much better in my field. It seems like your in the same place i was in 15 years ago. Long course Triathlon training plans are probably the most difficult plans to write. Learning from those who could teach grad level classes on the subject would benefit your career and help you with triathlons.As far as realistic time. So much depends on things like level of exertion at a given speed, nutrition, previous experience in endurance events,etc so we really don't have enough info. On your plan you would probably finish. But, there are a lot of things you could do to get faster and make it more enjoyable.
2012-11-23 7:21 AM

User image

Veteran

I would just add: try doing bike + run sessions (as a brick workout). 

Some athletes do it once in a while, some on a regular basis. I prefer doing them often rather than occasionally.
2012-11-24 8:27 AM

User image

Regular
There are 100s of really great plans online, many for free. I'm not seeing the point in reinventing the wheel. The plans work. Pick one, stick to it. Being in the gym will do nothing to improve your tri fitness. You need to swim, bike, run, and then bike some more. An hour doing squats is an hour you should have been on the bike. IMO the best thing is to get a good coach. I did several HIMs on my own, several using a free plan, and several HIMs and one IM with a coach. If you have the discretionary income, the coach is by far the way to go. I crashed and burned trying to make my own plan.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half ironman training Rss Feed