Duxbury Beach Triathlon
59F / 15C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 15m 24s
Overall Rank = 73/512
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/37
Pre-race routine:

Race was only a 10 minute drive for me, yet i was still there early. Because of the rain, cold, wind, didn't know if this would turn into a duathlon or stay a sprint tri. Picked up my race packet the night before, so all I had to do was get body marked, set up transition and wait. Hung out trying to stay warm. Did some light stretching, and then made my way to the water for a quick dip prior to the start to see how cold the water was going to be.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, and a quick 5 minute swim to acclimate to the cold water temps.
Swim
  • 11m 14s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was cold, but after doing a quick swim warmup prior to the start to get use to water temps, it was almost worse standing around, cold, wet, windy waiting for my wave to start. Had a hard time keeping the fingers and toes from going numb. Started right up front and went out strong from the start. Felt good the whole swim. Only gulped a couple of mouthfuls of ocean water. Rough, cold, choppy swim conditions; luckily the wind was out of the north and we were swimming southerly direction. I started in the 3rd wave and by the half-way point of the swim I was passing folks from the first wave. Many who were literally back-floating to move along and occasionally looking over their shoulder to stay on course. Had to do a little zig-zagging around some folks floating around.
What would you do differently?:

Sight a little better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

Came out of the water and wanted out of my wetsuit! Literally ran, NOT jogged, ran up the beach thru transition. I knew I had rolled up arm-warmers and dry socks waiting for me. Decided because of this days weather conditions to put on socks, and arm-warmers for the run and bike. Rolled up arm warmers so all I had to do was slip them and then roll them up my arms once I was off on the bike moving.

Go without socks maybe? First time I ever used arm warmers for a race, but I felt it was necessary on this day for me. I was cold!
Bike
  • 37m 28s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I ride this course all the time, so I know every twist, turn, pothole,ect. Took off right from the start. Pushed hard on the flat sections, steady on the rolling hills, and more casual on the downhill sections. Road conditions were wet, so I took it alittle easier on a couple of the turns. Was only passed by 4 or 5 other guys, but passed alot myself in return. Felt good and full of energy considering a cold swim segment.

Push harder and faster of course. Wet road conditions definately hesitated me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Helmet and glasses off, running shoes on, grabbed my Garmin watch.

Nothing
Run
  • 23m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt I had tight calves for the run. Picked a pace I figured I could hold steady without losing any positions. By this time the rain has stopped and there wasn't much wind running thru the neighborhood run loop. Slowly moved up to 4 other in front of me and passed them. Was only passed by one other guy during run segment towards the end.

Run faster and push harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, energy bar, bagel, and then changed into dry clothes. Pants,sweatshirt,jacket all nice and dry and warmer!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wet road conditions on the bike segment. Choppy, cold water on the swim segment.

Event comments:

This is my 3rd year doing this event. Year 1=19th position age-group; Year 2=13th position age-group; this year I was hoping for a top ten at least and came away with a 4th place age-group placing. Love this course and event. I have been focusing my training on olympic and 70.3 distances all summer long playing around with the idea of moving up to those distances next year, so this short course sprint was a good race to really push a faster pace for me to see where Iam stacking up. Really pushed hard on this race knowing that my wife was making additional sacrifies on this day to make it possible for me to race. Even more rewarding then getting the 4th place AG placing was proving to myself that I could do the necessary training along with working full-time, and being a dedicated husband and busy father to two very busy young boys. This race was for them. This event is very organized each year and I think this is why it sells out so quickly! Watched US olympic hopeful Ethan Brown win this event, along with some other local pros who are always here and always fast! Also, not to forget the so-called swag for this race: t-shirt, hat, water bottle, ect. I checked in the night before to get my race packet and was given 2 free t-shirts by the volunteers! Always nice appareal!

Last updated: 2012-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:14 | 880 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 0/512
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Course was different this year then the past two years due to the tide still coming in at 9:30am. Out from shore, take a left swimming parrallel to the shoreline, then another left back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:28 | 13 miles | 20.82 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Over bridge, out and back loop. Mainly flat with 3 or 4 rolling hills on the way out and on the way back in. Back across the bridge at the finish. You were able to pass on the bridge going out, BUT coming back it was single file. Probably for about 1/3 mile distance-no passing restriction. Had no issues with this.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:13 | 03.1 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Course: Back across brige (which was split into 3 lanes: incoming bikers, outgoing runners, incoming runners)out thru all residential neighborhood. Single loop, all flat. Nice support from locals along run course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes