World Triathlon Corporation
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 30m 35s
Overall Rank = 338/1329
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 58/193
Pre-race routine:

First HIM. Drove to race, roughly 100 miles, up at 3am. Food on the drive (roughly 3 hours pre race): 2 energy bars, 1 small "row" of shortbread cookies. 20oz of HEED to wash it down.
Event warmup:

Hustled down to the water over pavement littered with sharp rocks. Shivered a bit. Did a few windmills to loosen up shoulders.
Swim
  • 34h 58m
  • 2112 yards
  • 1h 39m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I still have a hard time sighting and staying straight, I have a tendency to drift left (away from buoys in this case. At one point I was quite a bit off course. Swallowed water here and there, but on the plus side it actually tasted pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder, was not fatigued at all. Practice sighting, try to get more OWS experience.
Transition 1
  • 05m 37s
Comments:

The most frustrating segment of the race. Someone swiped my bag so I couldn't pack my wetsuit/goggles. I ran up to a race director and was instructed to write my race number inside my suit. A volunteer took it from me and said he would take care of it. Long story short: they are looking into it and will mail me the suit if they find it. I'm not holding my breath. Probably lost 1-2 minutes on this, oh and my suit.

Watch videos on transitions and practice. Flying mount, shoes on bike, etc...
Bike
  • 2h 57m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I crashed on my last organized ride, downhill at about 30 mph (couldn't make turn at speed and went off road). Was nervous on initial descent, and was more careful during most of the ride as I usually would be. Was a fun course though. I wasn't sure how hard to ride, I kept seeing posts on this site not to go too hard on bike for HIM.

Could push harder, got too comfortable "coasting" on descents, should have tried to keep up a more consistent effort. Could probably have pushed 20 mph and survived run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Was expecting to be cold on bike, put on long sleeve shirt. Was too hot, had to change to sleeveless.

Run with what I ride in (no shirt changes).
Run
  • 1h 49m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out conservative, picked it up about 6 miles in. Negative split after turnaround, last three miles at about 7:40 min/mi. Was a bit nauseous, but forced down a Gu every 30 min, and alternated perform and water at aid stations. Felt good, had a few solid miles still in the tank when I finished.

Go out a bit faster, but otherwise good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Was ultra conservative having never done the distance. Next time push a bit harder, especially on bike. OWS swim techniques, was overly concerned with staying on course, found it hard to focus on a good strong stroke.

Event comments:

Start a bit late, but by my wave was on time. Port-a-potty: need to have more and be out of transistion. I don't know how they expected to close transition with 100+ people on port-a-potty lines. I really did like the venue, bike course was really nice, especially with the changing foliage, was a bit distracting actually. Was my second race in the poconos, and I would definetly do more.

Last updated: 2012-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
34:58:00 | 2112 yards | 1h 39m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 64/193
Overall: 453/1329
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 05:37
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:57:38 | 56 miles | 18.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 69/193
Overall: 435/1329
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 3.5 mile descent to start, rolling hills through most, a few small climbs just over the 40 mile mark. Double yellow line marked with cones the whole way. At least one rider I spoke to went down after hitting a cone.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:49:30 | 13.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/193
Overall: 338/1329
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Hilly, more uphill on way out.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-01 9:37 PM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountains

2012-10-03 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4436146

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountains
Solid first HIM debut. And you're right, the lake water actually tasted like cold poland spring.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountains Rss Feed