World Triathlon Corporation
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 23m 35s
Overall Rank = 878/3335
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 169/416
Pre-race routine:

My swim wave was scheduled to start at 8:30am. Woke up at 5:00am and ate a bagel, banana, and a half a coke (I don't drink coffee). Used the bathroom before catching the shuttle to set up my T1 (bike was set there overnight). About an hour before the start I ate another half a bagel with some water. Used the bathroom a couple more times. 15 minutes before start ate a Gu with water.
Event warmup:

Nothing besides some light stretching in my wetsuit. The day before the race did an easy 10-minute swim in the river with my wetsuit, 10-minute bike downtown, and 10-minute run alongside the river.
Swim
  • 30m 20s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took me a couple hundred yards to really get into my rhythm but I felt like I was surfing at some points. There was some jostling with other swimmers, but nothing too bad. I stayed freestyle the entire swim and never stopped once. This was my fastest recorded swim ever.

My Garmin 910xt somehow lost satellite signal after about 150 yards. When I got out it was waiting for me to hit "enter" after it had told me it lost satellite. Bummer. At least the multisport timer kept going as it should have.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 04m 39s
Comments:

Didn't do a flying mount. Put my shoes on in transition. Sat down to dry my feet off with a towel and put my bike shoes on.

I could have rushed T1 a little better.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.23 mile/hr
Comments:

This was an incredibly fun course to ride. On the rolling hills, I stayed down in the saddle on all of them (never got out and mashed). On the downhills, once I hit a certain speed, I tucked as tight as I could and coasted and gave my HR a chance to come back down. Saw lots of equipment on the roads (sunglasses, tubes, bottles, etc). Saw a nasty crash near one of the aid stations (bikes flying, riders flying). Hope those guys are okay. There were lots of volunteers around them to help out.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 04m 44s
Comments:

Again, kind of took my time in transition. Sat down to dry my feet off with towel and put socks/shoes on. Also, hit the porta potty for my only bathroom break (number 1) of the race.

I need to practice flying dismount. I can do it fine without bottles in my rear carrier. Need to practice with them in there. Also just need to hurry a little more.
Run
  • 1h 57m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like I managed this just about right. Loved the crowd support. I stopped taking in solid calories after 45 minutes of the run because I just couldn't eat any more Gu (too much sugar).

Start taking in different calorie sources once I start getting up around 4 hours.
Post race
Warm down:

Was completely spent at the end. Took me several hours before I could take in some real food. Felt light headed and sick to my stomach for a good couple of hours afterwards. Looking back I should have made use of the medical tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably my leisurely pace through transitions. I felt like I gave the swim and run everything I had. I may have left a little out on the bike course, but I think it was necessary to set up my run and that appeared to have worked.

Event comments:

Honestly, I could not have been happier both with the course, organization, weather, and my performance in the race. This was my first half ironman and I surpassed every goal I had set for myself. I had several goals: Finish..done. Finish under 5:45...did it in 5:23. Do the bike course over 20mph...did 20.23mph. Do the run in under 2 hours...did it in 1:57:49. Don't walk on the run...I didn't walk. Everything came together for a perfect race day and I couldn't be more thankful.

Last updated: 2012-10-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:20 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 220/416
Overall: 1547/3335
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro Full
Course: Point-to-point, in a river, downstream, with current, in a wetsuit. Anything else need to be said?
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:46:03 | 56 miles | 20.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 195/416
Overall: 929/3335
Kept my HR mostly in zone 3 based on LTHR zones.
Wind: Little
Course: Big loop around Augusta. FUN course. A couple of steep hills, but they weren't very long. The rolling hills were a ton of fun.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:57:49 | 13.1 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 169/416
Overall: 878/3335
Kept my HR below my LTHR (163) for the first 5 miles. For the next 6 miles I stayed right at my LTHR. The only walking I did during the race was through 5 aid stations. On the last aid station I loaded up on sponges, water on head, etc to cool down. HR stayed below LTHR for 1 mile and then the last 1.1 miles it was well above LTHR.
Course: Multiple loops through downtown Augusta. Great crowd support. Flat as a pancake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-02 1:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2012-11-07 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4437299

User image

New user

West Lafayette
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Thanks for the post on your IM Agusta. I'm looking at it for my first IM next year. I fear the swim of HIM so thought down stream in over with wet suit best option. Marc
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed