General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kerrville, Texas
United States
High Five Events
Total Time = 4h 58m 9s
Overall Rank = 12/345
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 and went to IHOP for breakfast. Parked and took shuttle to T1. Got everything set up and I was good to go.
Event warmup:

I don't do a run to warmup for HIM or longer and we couldn't get in the water for a pre-race swim so just stretched really well and got the arms going with a few pushups.
Swim
  • 33m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty uneventful swim. Stayed with long strokes and didn't have anybody to draft off since I was just behind the the lead swimmers. The biggest challenge was swimming through the first couple waves that went out earlier.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Horrible, horrible transition. I couldn't get my wetsuit over my Garmin so strippers had to wait to pull off wetsuit. I get to my bike and get everything packed back into my T1 bag and realized I had my arm warmers in my helmet just in case I was cold. I had to untie my T1 bag and put the arm warmers back in. Lost some time here.
Bike
  • 2h 31m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.18 mile/hr
Comments:

We started with a tailwind so I took I started out easy and still passed Jim who I knew I'd be competing with for the AG win. There was nobody in front of me once I got ahead of Jim and I don't really know this bike course. I ended up taking a wrong turn on when all of the sudden I here someone yell that I was not on the course. I only went about 1/2 a mile but by the time I turned around and got back on course it cost me at least 3 minutes. I quickly passed Jim again and knew I had to put some distance between him and myself because he is a better run than me.

Into the headwind I just told myself to stay small and as aero as possible. I spun at a good cadence until I turned back into the tailwind for the 2nd loop where I pushed the pace a littler harder. Back into the headwind and I spun into T2.

I felt like I stayed well within myself on the bike and really had to a good split if you take off the time for going off course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Again not a great transition. The dismount line snuck up on me after turning off the main road and I only got 1 foot out my shoes. I had to stop and get off the bike and run into T2 with 1 shoe still on.

Other than that, once I got to my bike I got out pretty quickly.
Run
  • 1h 49m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

And this is where I begin to wonder why the crap I continue to race. I started the first of 4 loops running easy and I wanted to get a feel for how far out front of Jim I was. When I got to the turnaround on the run I could determine how much I had on Jim. I had a 3:00 lead which held up all the way through to the last lap.

My nutrtion was spot on as I never felt like I was bonking. My hydration, however, was about to be a BIG issue again on the run. It wasn't hot but once again I must not have drank enough on the bike. I had maybe 1 1/2 bottles of water along with 3/4 bottle of my Carbopro nutrition. I was holding a very good pace until mile 8 of the run when I started to feel the leg cramps coming. By mile 9 I had to slow significantly and had to stop a couple times to stretch my hammies.

Now as mentioned, I still had just under a 3:00 lead with 1.5 miles to go. I slowed a lot because all I had to do was keep moving for the win. At mile 13, yes mile 13, just 1/10 of a mile to go and just before entering the finishing shoot both legs completely locked up with cramps. I couldn't even crawl in. As I was bent over stretching Jim ran by and gave me a low five as he ran on for the AG win. The best I could do was walk it in the rest of the way.

Very frustrating and as I write this I really wonder if I have it in me to properly prepare to attempt another KQ at IMCDA in June.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt like crap. I couldn't move very well because every step I took almost led to a cramp. I started getting chilled because it was cold so I went back to T2 and grabbed my sweatshirt and pants to get warm.

I decided to grab my bike right away and head home as my son was home from college for the weekend.

Event comments:

Another great race by the High Five team!

Last updated: 2012-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 14/345
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:31:30 | 56 miles | 22.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 8/345
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:49:41 | 13.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/345
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-10-02 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2012-10-02 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4437583

User image

Regular
Eldorado, Texas
Subject: RE: Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course
Ouch sorry on the lock up but still a pretty good race. Good to know for next year that you can't warm up in the water.
2012-10-02 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4437583

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course
Really sorry to hear about the leg cramps.  You were killing it out there!  There are days like this.  You'll be back better than ever.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerrville Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed