Shutterfly
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 13s
Overall Rank = 7/136
Age Group = 45/49
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

A rare race close to home. The cold front overnight brought high winds and cool temps. Normally 50 degrees for a run would be ideal but the wind really sucked the heat out of my body, I had a hard time getting and staying warmed up
Event warmup:

Jogging back and forth on the down wind side of the High School.
Run
  • 22m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I PR'd and won my age group, but I think I can do better and have had this little sub 22 goal in mind all year as sort of an add on to the bigger picture items, like Redman two weeks ago and The Dallas Marathon in two months
What would you do differently?:

Pace better, think about my clothes a little closer, other than that is was a good run
Post race
Warm down:

cooled off quickly, had some Gatorade from my packet, warmed back up in my truck waiting for awards and shivering in the wind talking to people

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cold wind/hills. this was my fastest 5k to date, but I have a flat 3 mile segment in Plano I have run at 20:17 before, so I feel like I should be able to get a sub 22.

Event comments:

One organizer told me they were not sure they would do this again next year. That would be too bad, there are not many good little races in the area. Small town 5k's are fun, a very young girl sang the Anthem on a scratchy PA system while a tiny Cub Scout Honor guard presented the colors-flags as large as they were. All great stuff-sort of a 21st Century Norman Rockwell scene.

Last updated: 2012-10-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:13 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 0/136
Performance: Good
Maybe a little too fast at the start-breathing was painful at first and the cool air was a new sensation this year. It was 90 degrees yesterday. I need to pace a little better and try to negative split it. At the turn around in under 11 minutes, I felt somewhat confident in my goal of under 22 but I was hurting too. On the outbound leg I was passed by an Elvis impersonator....at least he wasn't a fat Elvis!
Course: This course is harder than you would expect, a bit of a hill each direction. http://app.strava.com/runs/24148260 Perhaps on a flat course I can get my <22
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes