Set Up Events
61F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 38m 10s
Overall Rank = 45/340
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/25
Pre-race routine:

With a few exceptions, I'm very pleased with the overall results of this race. Since I live right off the run course and my house is 1 mile from the race start, what's not to like?

Woke up at 5:45AM, ate oatmeal, a peanut butter and honey sandwich, and a few glasses of water. Left home at 6:50, riding my bike up to the race start, which was 1 mile away. Awesome. I wouldn't mind if alot of the races I do in a year are that close!

Event warmup:

Ran 1 mile before the race start, then went back to T1 and put on my wetsuit.

Saw Jeff Kern, Gregg Combs, Angello Rodriguez, Alan Parker, Ira Gallagher, and a few other ppl there at the race. Said hi, then prepared to race.
Swim
  • 29m 2s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

The race was delayed by 15 minutes b/c the fog on the lake prevented us from seeing more than 300 meters out. Once the sun came out, it burnt up the fog pretty quickly, though.

The goggles I had on were definitely the WRONG ones to use. They were blue lenses. Boy, it was HARD to see anything more than a 100 meters out. I need tinted lenses next race.

I sighted very, very well during this race. I'd aim directly for a buoy and the next thing I knew, I was swimming right under it! One time I got a mouthful of water b/c I came up under one.

Made sure to extend/reach out as far as possible and pull all the way through. Felt fairly decent in the water, despite my AG placing in this event.
What would you do differently?:

Best swim I've had all year.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I ran hard to T1, trying to minimize the time spent in this section of the race. I had the 10th fastest OA time and 2 fastest in AG.

Not spend that extra second putting on sunglasses. My aero helmet has lenses attached. I ended up taking sunglasses off (and dropping later in the race!).
Bike
  • 1h 23m 39s
  • 30 miles
  • 21.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Leaving T1, my left shoe hit the ground and popped off the pedal. @#$%&^!!!! I waited as a few bikes passed, then ran over and grabbed it. When I got back to my bike, I noticed that the liquid in my aero bottle was spilling out. @#$%&^!!!!

Put on shoe, jumped on bike, and then sped off. I was livid at myself for losing 20 seconds b/c of that reason. I am almost always very close to 21mph on this course without giving up time for stupid mistakes.

Started to hammer and was passed in the first couple of miles by a 47 year old AGer. WTF?! OK, strong cyclist. I let it go and kept at it. After that, I got into a groove and started to blow by cyclists. I remember FLYING down a hill and passing a fellow AG like he was stopped. I got ALOT of satisfaction out of that. I guess it was revenge for a time long, long ago when it happened to me. Later, I was passed by a 50 year old AGer (WTF x 2!) and I realized that I'm sooo not a FOPer. Then, a cyclist with an "R" on his calf (relay teams) passed me. FAQ! This was the last cyclist to pass me, though.

During the hardest part of the bike (the last 10 miles), I started to psych myself up for the run. I really wanted to throw down a fast run and saved a little during this time. Yes, I could have gone a little bit faster, but I wanted to have something left for a tough 10K coming up.

Take more care mounting bike and hammering a few sections a little harder.

Overall, maybe I went too hard. Over the course of the year and maybe 10 rides on that course, my fastest training ride has been slightly over 21mph. I was a good few minutes faster than all those other rides, so maybe I burnt up the legs in the excitement of the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Right before entering T2, a guy ahead of me was walking his bike in! NOOOO! I was about to run around him, but then he entered the "chute". I was very inpatient behind him, breathing a little harder than necessary to get him moving. Once a space opened up, I ran around him, racked bike, put on shoes, and ran out.

Fast enough.
Run
  • 43m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Worst run ever. I came into this race hoping to go sub 40. Yeah, didn't happen. This is the worst run I've had since...ever.

Besides a cramp in my right side, I felt fine. I remember looking at my Garmin after it beeped and it read 6:22 for mile 1. OK, That's fine. I can still go under 40 if I average that pace. Then, the side cramp got worse and worse, until it HURT. It was the worst pain I've experienced during a race and there was nothing I could do to make it go away. Time to HTFU and "do your job".

At the end of the first mile and a half, I saw my family. It really picked me up. My wife yelled that Kern was ahead and I need to pick it up! Gah! Kern and I had a friendly bet regarding who'd finish first. I had my work cutout for me. He's a fairly good runner, so I knew it was going to be tough. :)

The rest of the run was just a lesson in pain...especially the downhills. The cramp was so bad I thought about walking. I decided against it and just kept shuffling along. HTFU, I though...HTFU.

Towards the end, I stumbled across David Fairbanks. I was surprised to see him that far ahead. Great job, I yelled! I was really happy to see him have a really good race. David and I work together and we also had a friendly bet. He KILLED me in overall time, though. Beat me by more than 5 minutes. Man, 0 for 2 so far!

Finished the race and hung out with Jeff, David, and then my wife was there.

I may have overdone it on the bike. Didn't feel horrible and I would have had a good run if not for that cramp.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, talked to my family, then we went and hung out by the lake. I jumped in the cold water and let my legs soak. Ahhhh. Water felt particularly cold.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Terrible, terrible, terrible run.

Although I've very happy with the overall race, I'm concerned with my run. Honestly, I have not been putting in the miles, so I know that's the problem. I relied too much on my early season run prep/base and am now paying the price for slacking. Lesson learned.

Event comments:

Good race, but a very hard course. I like the venue b/c the lake is a good place for the family to hang out afterwards.

As for the race itself, I labeled it just right b/c I have the opportunity to train on it regularly. If I hadn't trained on, however, I'd state it is "too hard", especially for your beginner triathlete.

Last updated: 2012-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:02 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/25
Overall: 143/340
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra Vortex
Course: Triangular, counter-clockwise course. Third leg was the longest of the three legs. Based off my time, I think the course may have been pretty close to the advertised distance, but distance in the water is not something I'll even pretend to be able to gauge.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:23:39 | 30 miles | 21.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/25
Overall: 42/340
Wind: Some
Course: Very, very tough course with quite a few rolling hills. This course can be pulled up on MapMyRide or other sites. The elevation profile is very, very misleading. Those hills are tougher than the profile states. The worst part of this course is Foxfire and Derby Roads. Surface is very rough and the elevation is uphill. The hardest part of the course is the last section, which goes along Jackson Springs and Foxfire. Quite a few hills and elevation gains. Yes, you can bomb it down the hills once you crest, but the hills seem to go on forever.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:40 | 06.21 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/25
Overall: 25/340
Performance: Bad
Course: As I mentioned in the bike course, you can pull up the course and elevation profile in MapMyRide. This is probably the toughest run course I've run. Period.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-07 9:07 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Pinehurst International Triathlon

2012-10-08 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4444496

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Pinehurst International Triathlon

Thanks for the shout out, Dood!!!  Even with the trouble on the run, you still finished in an awesome time on that course!!!  Way to go!!!!

Alan

2012-10-08 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

d00d, I don't care what you say, that is a solid race and the bike speed is picking up fiercely.  Plus for us mere mortal runners, I'd love to throw down a 43min -10k in an Oly.

Well done. 

You crack me up though, 47 yr old passing you, must be a strong cyclist, then a 52yr old followed by a Relay !  Revenge is sweet - Love it.

2012-10-09 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Perfect prep for B2B which will be a much easier bike course..

I predict a great day.
2012-10-09 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
great race d00d!  killer bike split and fast run as usual!
2012-10-09 10:39 AM

User image

Elite
SE
b2b is all yours if you don't do this d00d --------> "I may have overdone it on the bike." its not slacking on run. it was overcooking on the bike (and swim IMHO)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst International Triathlon Rss Feed