General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero bottle refill during a race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-08 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: Aero bottle refill during a race?

I'm racing a HIM with a Profile Designs aero bottle between my aero bars for the first time.  In past races, I've taken in 60-68 ounces of fluid during the bike (one bike bottle per hour).  So I figure I can go with just the 32 ounce PD bottle and refill once on the course.

I've refilled on the go during training rides and it went ok.  How is in a race?  Can you get the job done with all the chaos?  Can you get it done quickly enough to not be littering with the bottle after the aid station area?  The aid stations in this race hand out bike bottles.

2012-10-08 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4444732

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Aero bottle refill during a race?

At the aid station, get the replacement water bottle and use it to refill your aero bottle.  Just make sure to slow down long enough so you can actually grab it.  

As for not littering, I thought about that during my first race and then saw the amount of littering that takes place with empty water bottles and paper cups.  To get it close to the aid station, you'd have to be really fast at filling up your aero bottle or grab the bottle from the first aid station volunteer and slow down a lot in order to fill the bottle by the end of the station.  However, don't get too worried about it.  I talked to a volunteer at Eagleman this year who said they drive down the road after the race to pick up trash.  They don't just pick up trash right near the aid station.  They will find your empty bottle.  They understand the purpose is to serve you.

2012-10-08 8:17 AM

User image

If I can do it, you can do it!  I had plenty of time to refill and drop before leaving the outskirts of the aid station.  Slow down enough so the volunteer can get the bottle easily.

2012-10-08 8:36 AM

User image

Master

At many races the water bottle should be open. I do 1 of two things:

1. Grab the bottle from the volunteer and pour directly into the aero bottle and toss. I can usually get it tossed not too far from the volunteers.

2. Use a bottle cage on the bike for the refill bottle. Toss your empty, grab the refill and fill at leisure. At the next station, drop the empty refill bottle and grab a new one as needed. You carry a little more weight, but there isn't as much rush.

2012-10-08 10:47 AM

User image

New user
KY
I just did my first HIM.  I started the race with only my Profile Design 24 oz bottle between my aero bars.  I was a little worried about the aid stations, as I had never encountered them before.  However, it turned out to be very easy.  Make sure to slow down and stay on the alert for bottles on the ground and reckless riders.  The volunteers know what they're doing, and make the handoff very easy.  I found that there was plenty of time to pour my new bottle into my aero bottle.  The trash area is very spread out and you really don't have to rush.  It was such a relief to realize that aid stations are nothing to stress over.  Best of luck!
2012-10-08 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran

Just did my first HIM and I started with an aero bottle and two cages on the bike.

At the aid station I tossed the two empties from the cages... then grabbed a bottle put it in the cage, grabbed a second bottle and put it in the 2nd cage.... then I transferred to the aero bottle at my leisure out on the course...  repeated the process twice...

At the second station I did this and even had time to grab a banana and get the peel tossed by the last chance trash....

It was easier than I expected ...

2012-10-08 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4444750

mattramirez - 2012-10-08 8:12 AM

At the aid station, get the replacement water bottle and use it to refill your aero bottle.  Just make sure to slow down long enough so you can actually grab it.  

As for not littering, I thought about that during my first race and then saw the amount of littering that takes place with empty water bottles and paper cups.  To get it close to the aid station, you'd have to be really fast at filling up your aero bottle or grab the bottle from the first aid station volunteer and slow down a lot in order to fill the bottle by the end of the station.  However, don't get too worried about it.  I talked to a volunteer at Eagleman this year who said they drive down the road after the race to pick up trash.  They don't just pick up trash right near the aid station.  They will find your empty bottle.  They understand the purpose is to serve you.

Yes people throw things everywhere, however littering is a penalty in most races. The chances are slim, but if an official was around when you just threw your watterbottle or garbage not at an aide station you could get a time penalty.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero bottle refill during a race? Rss Feed