General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How tight to clamp down on skewers on Kurt Kinetic Road Machine? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-12 2:45 PM

Subject: How tight to clamp down on skewers on Kurt Kinetic Road Machine?
I just picked up a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.. took a test ride or two on and it have a question that I have not been able to find a straight answer to, as it seems all the threads I've come across are related to the resistance adjustments.

I'm trying to find out how tight I should have the trainer on the skewer. It seems I can keep turning and turning without the resistance much stronger. If I do keep turning, the skewer caps will start turning and it's done a small number one the clear coat on my brand new carbon frame.. I'm assuming that's normal and nothing to worry about. I can pick the bike up a bit without it feeling loose in the cups, but when I'm on it, I can rock back and forth a bit.. the wheel moves (while pedaling) I'd say about 1/4 to 1/2 inch each way if I lean. Also, I have this constant feeling that it's leaning JUST off to the left. Any suggestions to any/all of these questions?

Thanks!

2012-10-12 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4451818

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: How tight to clamp down on skewers on Kurt Kinetic Road Machine?

Are you using a trainer skewer?

That is what I use and my bike is rock solid.

2012-10-12 2:59 PM

User image

Elite

Are you flipping the quick release lever on the trainer mount?  It is the u-shapd lever.  It should take hard finger pressure to flip it inward toward the bike.  Adjust the cups with the threaded bolt until you can just barely close the lever.  Also use the steel skewer that came with the trainer.  The heads on that skewer match the shape of the cups on the trainer mount.

Edited by tech_geezer 2012-10-12 3:00 PM
2012-10-12 4:09 PM

User image

Elite

One more thing about mount the bike.  Be sure to loosen the tensioning knob that pushes the roller against the wheel until after the bike is tight in the frame.   That may be the problem with getting enough force to hold the skewer secure.

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How tight to clamp down on skewers on Kurt Kinetic Road Machine? Rss Feed