Hartford Marathon Foundation
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m 2s
Overall Rank = 356/2528
Age Group = M4549
Age Group Rank = 47/207
Pre-race routine:

1st marathon and largest (by far) race I have ever competed in, so wasn't sure of routine and timing, so I just copied my Tri plans. Got up at 5, made coffee and did final packing. Left way early as usual to get good parking - glad I did, as it was tough at the lots near the race and I have a big truck. Ate PB on bagel on the way. G1 about 30 minutes prior to start. Toilet situation was better than most Tri's thankfully.
Event warmup:

Well, it was 30 degrees F when I arrived, so warm up was sitting in the truck with the heater on, thinking that I am glad there is no swim for this! Walked around a bit to make final decision on clothing - went with long sleeves under short sleeves, with throw-away cotton gloves, and shorts and hat. Saw a lot of people that looked over dressed, but what do I know. Didn't run at all to warm up - plenty of running in the race.
Run
  • 3h 28m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was 3:30, so I needed to avg 8 min miles, which I knew would be tough. Started strong and felt great - the best I've felt running in a while - I guess the taper worked. I was trying to build up cushion as I knew the final 5-6 miles would be a struggle. Got passed by the 3:20 pace group around 7 miles, and tried to keep them in my sites. At the 17m turnaround, they were about 5 mins ahead of me, so I knew I had 5 mins of cushion. I felt strong thru 20m and kept a pretty consistent pace. Had water (just a mouthful) at each stop and GU every 5 miles roughly. Switched to Gatorade at about 15m when I felt a bit of cramping in my calf. Everything was going according to plan. At 2:45 I started counting down what was left and figuring what I needed to run (pace-wise) to make my goal - it all seemed do-able - I needed about 9min miles thanks to the cushion I had. At 3hrs, I passed 23 miles and someone yelled - "just a 5k left" - perfect, a 5k in 30 mins - I can do that. I was feeling pretty beat up at this stage though - calfs and feet hurt. I did mile 24 in about 9:30 - more cushion!, then mile 25 - I had about 12 mins left to do the final 1.2m. Started feeling the crowd and my goal in hand as I got into Hartford and actually had enough to give a final push into the finish - 3:28! Yes!
What would you do differently?:

I cant think of anything I would do differently except maybe a few more long runs in preparation. I need to do something to strengthen my calves and feet (if that's possible?!?). Regardless, first marathon, hit goal, Happy. Now I need to figure out how to do this after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike. Yikes.
Post race
Warm down:

This got ugly fast. My calves seized up on me and my feet hurt like crazy. Could barely walk to the end of the chute to get my medal and bag of stale food. Then the walk to my truck was excruciating. Had to stop and sit 4 times. Sat in truck and whined to myself. Got compression socks on somehow (thank God for whoever invented these) and changed then limped back to the park to have a beer (what else?!?). Sat in the sun and eventually saw Bill and Gwen, so had some nice company to chat with.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have never felt like I was "born to run" (sorry Bruce), so this accomplishment is a biggie for me. I have no goal to run another marathon for a better time. My next (and ultimate) goal is IM Lake Placid, and I am pretty sure I wont be going faster.

Event comments:

Great event - really enjoyed it. Very well supported and very much geared to the runners - bands and DJ's along the route, lots of spectators, great vibe in the city and Bushnell Park. And beer - did I mention beer?

Last updated: 2012-07-26 12:00 AM
Running
03:28:02 | 26.2 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/207
Overall: 356/2528
Performance: Good
half split: 1:40:38 (7:41) 20 m split: 2:35:01 (7:46)
Course: Very nice course - through Hartford and down to the Riverwalk, then over the bridge to E Hartford and ran by the river on that side. Then started north through EH and into S Windsor to the turnaround (at 17m). Then back into EH and over the bridge. Great finish in Hartford through the Arch in Bushnell Park. Pretty flat, nice scenery overall, especially in the S Windsor section.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes