General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injuries Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-14 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Injuries
I went over my handlebars a couple of weeks ago and suffered a AC joint separation and a slightly cracked rib.  Since then Have been sorta grounded, relegated to the elliptical at the gym but think I should be able to get on my bike as soon as my trainer gets here this week, and probably start running again by the end of the week.  I'll tell ya tho, at age 53 I don't heal like I used to and it is the slowness of healing that is going to make me more cautious as time goes on.  

2012-10-14 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4453202

Expert
Subject: RE: Injuries
I seem to be injury prone. Probably not listening to my body close enough. My mind can/wants to do alot more than my body will allow. Gets frustrating. I guess we should be thankful we haven't had tri-career ending injuries.
2012-10-14 3:15 PM

User image

had an bike accident back on Aug. 1 resulting in an  AC separation. I was able to get back on my bike on a training with in 2 weeks.  Running without pain took about three weeks. Swimming still hurts but do still do it.

then last week my thumb started hurting went to the doctors and was told I have tendonitis of the thumb.

agree getting old is no fun.  seems like my body is falling apart. But I will not let that stop me from racing.    

2012-10-14 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Suzanne,  Yep swimming is the most worrisome since it uses shoulder more than any other discipline.  I am a strong swimmer so I think a couple of months off wont kill me but I am a bit nervous about what my shoulder will feel like when I get back in the pool.  Am most interested in getting back to running as I want to start training for a HM.   Yep, feels like my body is falling apart :-)
2012-10-15 6:06 PM

User image

Champion

oysterboy -

I had a bad bike crash in '09, when I was 60, and separated my shoulder.  I have a fairly lurid injury history overall, but even though it was considered a bad separation, i was back running within two days and cycling within three....and did a du eight days after the accident.  But my ribs were fine, and for you, that might make a world of difference as to how much jouncing you can tolerate either on the bike or when running.

It's a good time of year, though, to mess yourself up -- assuming that your race season is mostly done.  Mine happened in mid-June, and I missed a few races, but because I was a good boy about not pushing the swim --- i was back swimming within about five weeks.  After a couple of weeks away from the pool because of flagrant gross-out road-rash, I satrted back doing lots of kick sets, and sculling, and one-armed drills with the left arm only.  That kept the swim part of me mostly satisfied, and made me feel somewhat "whole".  (No OWS during thsoe recovery weeks, though, as (a) it would've been too tricky to wrassle myslef into the wetsuit, and (b) I wanted a nice "stable" swim environment with no waves, chop, or current to tempt me to get the right shoulder engaged.)

(Are we going to see you in "Fast-Twitch"?  It's forming soon, it seems, so stay tuned and look out for a PM, maybe!)

2012-10-15 6:23 PM

User image

Pro

Welcome to the club. Unfortunately, it's not a very exclusive club.

You nailed the biggest issue about age. It's not the doing that has really gotten harder, it's the recovery. Next week starts month #2 since I've been on the bike, hoping to get medical clearance to start again when I go back to the orthopod on the 25th. Had an exciting session at PT this morning, I can now do wrist curls with two pounds on the left, four on the right. Yeesh!

Heal up soon, stay  positive. You'll get there. Next time leave flying to airplanes

2012-10-15 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Morning,  club-mates!  Also advise everyone to avoid running on walkways made of loose bricks displaced by sinking ground, in poor lighting.....Today is the first day in a month (it's been exactly four weeks) that I woke up feeling like my left elbow wasn't 80 years old. Saw PT yesterday and she says my range of motion (when she does it LOL) is normal, just a little tight/painful at each end; there was probably a hairline radial head fracture but pretty much healed. I am also up to one kilo with the exercises. She thinks most of the remaining issue is muscle bruising which causes the joint to swell. FWIW she said that given the impact force shown by the level of bruising, one would also expect major fractures or dislocations, and I've avoided that due to strength/flexibility from all that swimming!  So butterfly is good for something besides cardio!

We tried yet another kinesiotape method and seem to have hit the jackpot--almost no pain and swelling this AM. For those other injured out there, this stuff is a godsend. It looks like a gimic but really works, at least on soft-tissue stuff. I'm headed to Singapore next week and hoping to buy some; PT will be on vacation too so I had her show my how to tape myself and give me some tape. (Like a lot of other things, you can't get it here, so she rations it!) Also hoping to get in some swimming at Sentosa--great tropical beach it ain't, but it's in a lagoon, warm, and totally calm, lockers and quiet running path nearby. Hoping to do a few leisurely breaststroke swims, and a few runs on designated trails to start getting back to running outside. Plus, of course, retail therapy and curry feeds!

No idea about when I can ride my road bike. I had friends put in back on the trainer. Living on the fifth floor with no elevator means I won't be riding until I'm healed enough to carry it down; guessing still another 2-4 weeks. Whatever.....I'm not missing my industrial park too badly!

Take care, everyone. And, yes, leave the flying to the airlines!

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-10-15 6:51 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injuries Rss Feed