General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What will you focus on in the off-season? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-16 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
Subject: What will you focus on in the off-season?
What will you focus on in the off-season?I will preface my own plans by saying that I have no plans to do more than sprints next season.Running - I want to work on speed. I am thinking speed interval type of work, so I will need some program for an organized approach. I'm toying with going back to work on plyometrics, although I hurt my knees last time I did. I'm 25 lb's lighter, so it may help.Swimming, I'm considering going for more lessons to focus on form.Biking. As I'll be indoors more with the weather, likely more intense interval work.I am interested to hear what others are planning.

2012-10-16 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4456660

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: What will you focus on in the off-season?

While the weather holds up (no snow/ice/slush) I'm going to run as much as I can and other nights work the P90X.  Once Xmas rolls around I'm hoping to have a bike trainer as I've dropped many hints to the wife that it is the only thing I'm really looking for this year.  So after Xmas I plan on getting on that thing A LOT.

I also plan on doing one race per month whether it's a 5k, 10k, speedo run (done a few of those through downtown Boston), whatever it is.  Since I've started training and racing I noticed that when I constantly had race goals to work for it made it easier to train and get moving every night, so even if it's just a New Years 5k or something, I want to have something to constantly look forward to.

2012-10-16 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC

All of the goals I mention below have the 2013 Outer Banks Olympic Triathlon.

Swimming
There's an indoor pool about 10 minutes from work.  It's fairly easy to get there, get in a good swim, get back to work, and have a bite to eat in our 2 hour lunch/PT period.  Swimming is going to be my big focus in the off season.  I have to figure out some way to be able to swim 1500m in open water using the forward crawl for the ENTIRE TIME!
My last Oly swim took 51 minutes.  I want to do it in under 35.  Being short on funds means having a coach or taking a class is out of the question.  The best thing I can hope for is that doing the drills I've read about and focusing on form will do the trick.

Biking
I like to think of this as my strong leg.  That said, I was grossly unsatisfied with my performance on the bike in Oly I did this year.  I know I need to do some work to my bike, but I also think I rested on my laurels.  It cost me.  I will fix my bike.  I will fix the engine... with saddle time.
I would like to get to a point where I can crank out 20MPH averages with the same amount of perceived effort that I currently crank out 17.5MPH.  1:23:24, in my head, is a pathetic time for a 24.5 mile ride... I'm shooting for 1:13:00!

Running
Truth told, I could do a relatively decent run for a 235lb guy if I could keep from bonking on the run.  That said... I'm doing LOTS OF BRICKS over the winter.  I'm also going to increase my volume in hopes that my overall speed will improve.
The ultimate goal is to finish the OBX Tri run leg in 58:54, which equates to a constant 9:30/mile pace.

2012-10-17 12:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I think one thing a lot of people don't think about in triathlon training is weights.  If you have that base strength it does SO much for your racing at any distance. I know personally one of the biggest differences between my first Ironman and my second was that when I trained for my first I just did the standard SBR work. For my second I did a lot of weight training and interval SBR work. This not only made my workouts shorter but improved my results by 90 min.
2012-10-17 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
I've been riddled with injuries for the last two years, so my plan is to focus on injury prevention... in my case, lots of strengthening and stability work while maintaining my base.  I'll be sticking with the sprint-or-less distances next summer,but if i can make it through the summer still on my feet, i'll be ecstatic!
2012-10-17 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
College Station, Texas

RECOVER from the past year:

Oct 2011 DOuble Hernia, surgery Dec 2011 for that

April 2012   Dislocated left shoulder not surgery but lots of time off.

July 2012  Bike wreck.. Fractured L1 vert

SO Im finally getting released to begin slowly training again, but it will be a very easy going winter!!

2012-10-18 2:13 PM

User image

Not being able to register as a clyde under 2012 rules.   1.9 pounds to go.....
2012-10-19 5:01 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Honestly -- just keeping up a regular schedule of "something".    I live in Calgary so snow, cold and lack of daylight are a major factor from now through mid-April -- so have to stay moving mostly indoors.   Signed up for an Oly in June so that's the main race on the horizon after doing my first sprint this year.  We have a new treadmill and computrainer (thought we'd beat the New Year's Resolution rush Laughing) and a nearby pool so the stage is set.

Keeping weight on a downward trajectory is probably the biggest thing that will help -- at 6'3", I started at 265 earlier this year.  Training has me down to 250, would love to get it down into the 230s or (dare I say it?) lower by springtime.

2012-10-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4456779

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
jonD81 - 2012-10-16 8:18 PM

I noticed that when I constantly had race goals to work for it made it easier to train and get moving every night, so even if it's just a New Years 5k or something, I want to have something to constantly look forward to.

X2 - Good point - I will look into some running events through the winter to check my progress.  It'll keep me motivated and progressing forward.

It's good to hear what you guys are doing.  I've got my last tri tomorrow and will head into my offseason plans.

2012-10-20 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

My plans for the 2013 season right now are an Oly on June 2nd and an HIM in mid-Sept.  Depending on the HIM results, I may finish the season with a return to Blueman in October to compare my times with this year's first-ever tri.

In the meantime, I'll be using the C25k program to get me up to actually jogging a 5k by New Years.  (jonD, I like your idea.  I might try to find some runs here in PA)  I will also be initiating the Zero to 1650 swim program to get myself up to the mark for swimming.  Bike/strength days will alternate with swim/jog days all winter.  Weather and roads permitting I want to try to get some roadwork in on the bike on the weekends.

After New Years I will be taking some sort of fitness test to give me a benchmark to start my HIM training.  The way I see it, I'll already be past the Oly distances by race day.  The key will be to plan a real taper into the Oly, and then resume HIM training after it.

Weight wise ,,,,, I would really like to see the south side of 300 by, let's say Valentine's Day.  And be below 275 by my June race.  Currently at 342.

2012-10-22 4:34 PM

My local gym runs two indoor triathlons a month through the winter.  That's what got me into this in the first place - figured a worst-case scenario was that I'd get off the treadmill and walk out to the truck.  I'm already signed up for Nov. 11 and Nov. 25th.  Short is 300 yard swim, 10 miles spin cycle, 3 miles treadmill.  Long course (my goal is to do all longs this winter) is 500 yard swim, 15 miles spin cycle, 5 miles treadmill.

November 17th, I'm flying to Tucson to ride El Tour de Tucson, a 111-mile bike race.  I note (with some trepidation) that a full Ironman bike ride is 112 miles.

Other than that, pool laps, weightlifting, diet, cardio, maybe a spin class.  Max weight was 410 less than two years ago, now at 260 and fighting for every pound.

2012-10-22 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Swimming more, biking more, running more?

Have an indoor trainer setup, doing Jorge's 20 minute FTP plan.

Just finished my first half marathon on Saturday and looking to sign up for another one or two to keep my run fitness up for the winter.

2012-10-23 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Central France

In the fall and early winter I work mostly on my running and swimming with one bike maintenance session a week. Cross country (think high school cross country but for adults) season starts up in November here in France. I try to do at least one, if not two, cross country races per month. For swimming, this year I've signed up for the masters swim class offered my company on Friday mornings, and I try to hit the pool at least 2 other times during the week.

Starting end of February (depending on weather) I cut back a bit on swimming and start to ramp back up on the bike.

And, maybe more importantly, I try to lighten up a bit and enjoy other sports such as cross country skiing and snowshoeing.

2012-10-23 4:25 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Losing weight. Preferably around 20 lbs, I don't care if it pushes me out of the upcoming new Athena definition.

Work on running.  Want to get faster and also increase mileage.

Keep on biking.  Little goal of getting outside 1x week (weekends) instead of always being on the trainer during cold weather.

Get out in my kayak at least 1x month for the next year. (I have cold-weather gear)

Play ice hockey with my team and have a good season.

2012-10-26 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida

to lose some weight, if i can lose about 25 lbs i think all my times will get better, also just started a 10 k program that hopefully will get me ready for early spring.

2012-10-27 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Weight loss and nutrition. Before I started training my eating was doing pretty well but once I increased my training my food slacked off some. I didn't gain anything or dive off the edge but I did slack. I'd like to get that back under control and since I'm hoping to do longer distance races next year I think it's really important that I start fueling correctly. And of course, more SBR

2012-11-01 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

This winter I got a 30 day free trial at a local crossfit with unlimited usage. I know I know but I want to add a little muscle and try it out so I figure why not. I have my first class tonigth. I am going to do Jorge Winter Cycling to build my bike up and I just joined a Masters team so hopefully improve on that as well. Oh and I will focus on not gaining any weight over the holidays.

2012-11-01 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4478986

User image

Expert

Running

Swimming

Weight Loss

2012-11-02 2:24 PM

Expert
Golden, CO
Weight training and fitness.  The tri training has really weakened me quite a bit. 
2013-01-08 9:57 PM

User image

Seneca, South Carolina
I'm working on running form to prevent injuries. Attending two swim clinics. I need a lot of help in this area if I'm ever going to move up to the Olympic distance. Spending more time on the bike trainer working on short intervals in the hopes of gaining some speed. 
2013-01-12 7:35 AM

Cross country skiing and at least two weight workouts a week. I'm not even completely sure I'll ever do another triathlon, but it would be a shame to waste this snow, and I think skiing (classic for me) is a good way to build a fitness base. Last year we had hardly any and I didn't get to ski even once.

I'll also try to get to the pool one extra day a week. I was so busy at work before Christmas, just three short swims a week was all I could manage. I've got a bit of tendonitis in the left shoulder, probably overuse from work, so will have to build up gently and ice a lot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What will you focus on in the off-season? Rss Feed