General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on Oly tris please! (swim related) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-17 4:29 PM

User image

Ames, Iowa
Subject: Advice on Oly tris please! (swim related)
Sorry for the weird scenario....I started competing in triathlons last season, completing 4 sprints (female at age 56 !!!) . I am extremely competitive, and NEVER just want to finish! The swim is my panic time. In two of the sprints, I totally freaked out and ended up doing a LOT of backstroke! In the other two, I was relaxed and felt wonderful. Can't explain why. (Before my second one, I read here on BT about counting strokes, singing, etc, and WOW, it worked like a charm for that one, but not for others!!).
This season, I started out with an Oly (OK, so I was crazy...). It was WONDERFUL. I was totally relaxed and had the time of my life in all phases!!! Then I did a sprint 2 weeks later that went ok, but not great. Then another Oly (a really busy one). The swim was AWFUL. About 50 m into into it, I SOOO lost it. A lovely kayak lady got to me quickly, and I hung onto the bow and just gasped and cried. I was completely tempted to quit, but decided my family wouldn't be able to find me, as they were along the course, waiting to cheer me on. I finally decided to JUST KEEP SWIMMING. I set off, calm and quiet (and counting strokes), and had the most incredibly relaxing swim ever. LOVED the bike and the run, and was smiling all the way to the end.
I know LOTS has been written about relaxing on the swim. I start off to the side, and behind everyone else. I count strokes. I sing. I count backwards from 300 in 3's. I feel good when I start, but it just starts to quickly spiral out of control. I feel like I can't breathe, and then sheer panic sets in.

So here is the issue:

1. Do I need to stick to sprint tris to get the swim panic under control, or go ahead with the planned Olys next season? I really like the longer distances of the bike and the run (and love the swim when I am relaxed). I don't think my training is lacking, as I feel fit throughout.
2. Any new methods to keep that panic monster away from me?? I do lots of practice open water swims, and never panic at all.

THANK you so very much for all the help you all are so gracious to share!!!!!!!

2012-10-17 5:10 PM
in reply to: #4458088

Subject: RE: Advice on Oly tris please! (swim related)
I'm a former collegiate D-1 swimmer (now 30 yrs old) who also just started doing this sport last year, like you. Most of the races I did this past season had an Elite wave and I was usually 1st or 2nd out of the water. Similar to you, I started off with Sprints and just recently started doing OLY/INT distance.  Based on your comments, I would recommend you stay with the Sprint distance until you feel absolutely comfortable and when you reach the point of being able to do this distance with ease and have no anxiety, move up to the OLY at that point.  And maybe also you can find OLY distance races that might have a slightly shorter swim than the standard 1.5k distance and/or enter smaller OLY distance races where you won't have so many people in the water. Good luck.

Edited by gphin305 2012-10-17 5:13 PM
2012-10-17 7:13 PM

I'm a private pilot. On my way to getting my license there were moments that I was afraid to face. Stall practice by myself without the instructor in the plane with me used to scare me. I know this is crazy but i got into flying because somewhere and some point i became afraid to fly on commercial airliners. So what did I do, I became a private pilot and learned that i was not so much afraid of flying but about not being in control. I'm very confident piloting my own aircraft. There are two points here:

1. You need to work with a swim instructor and be very honest about your fears. What is it really that your afraid of and dont feel ashamed to talk about it. I was fortunate to have a flight instructor who allowed me to express my fears and then we put a plan in place to address to address it.

2. You will overcome this once you clearly understand what is causing the panic attacks. You would think fear of drowning is obvious but it took me a while and a good instructor to realize that i was NOT afraid of stall practice, i was afraid of losing control of the plane and not being able to recover. He worked with me until he turned my fear into fun!Also, it turned out I was not afraid of flying but have some problems when i'm not in control of my own fate.

Perhaps this is obvious and its easy for me to tell you not to be afraid but I hope some of this helps. You will kick this fear out of your body with the right support. Good luck

2012-10-18 4:20 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
First, sorry about the lack of paragraphs - I'm posting from my phone. You say you do a lot of open water swimming (OWS). "A lot" can mean different things to different people. How many times a week are you doing ows? How long is each session? How many weeks or months have you been training at that level? Are you doing them with a group? What is the same information for your pool training? If you're not already doing it, it can help a lot to do sessions, starting in the pool, then progressing to ows with a group of people who intentionally swim close and bump into each other. Practice things like the tsunami drill where you swim between two rows of people making waves and splashing with kick boards. Intentionally swim over each other and grab each other's feet. In short, you need to experience enough of the things that can cause anxiety in races that you have complete confidence in your abilities, and race day just seems like another practice swim.
2012-10-18 6:31 AM

With the swim also look at the swim layout.  It might not be OWS or distance that is an issue swimming but swimming with other people around you.  I think that is an issue I have.  I entered 4 tri's this summer, the worst was when the swim was out around a bouy and back.  Many people in a small area.  In addition, at the end of the season I purchased a sleeveless wetsuit for next year on sale so my arms don't feel like that they are being restricted by a wetsuit.  Using full suit now, probably only in my mind but I need as many odds in my favor on the swim.   I would practice OW and practice swimming with other people.  Goodluck and keep with it.  
2012-10-18 6:53 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
It doesn't sound like the Oly distance is the problem, so no reason to back out of those. It sounds like the traffic is more of an issue. So you could practice swimming in traffic, as TriMyBest suggests. Or you could try taking steps to get away from the traffic, e.g., swim wide, or wait 10s after the horn to start swimming, or seek out races with time trial starts. I also find that doing a little swimming around through the crowd for a minute or two before the start really helps me to relax in traffic. 

2012-10-18 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
FWIW, I have experienced  OW panic in only sprints and very little if any at Oly and HIM distances.  The longer the course often times the packs spread out more and it is easier to find open water. Likewise, bigger races tend to have bigger swim areas so the congestion is decreased.  For me, in a longer race, I mentally prepare myself better for a controlled swimming pace whereas in a sprint I want to go out fast, which jacks my HR and increases the panic feeling,
2012-10-18 7:58 AM

User image

Elite

All good advice above so I will try not to repeat it....but I think Colin nailed it, regarding the contact issue......I never have had any issue with OWS in my Oly/HIMs, but when I did a sprint in August I had a minor issue...not panick but definately more out of breath and frazzled than usual....looking back , since the race was shorter and I had a legitimate chance to place high I probably went out too fast for my fitness plus with all of the extra contact and traffic with a sprint and placing myself more aggressively, It seemed I was stopping, changing direction and getting frustrated more than I should have....I did not mind getting hit but it took so much more energy to swim in those conditions...so it was a learning experience.

Though I credit you for not just wanting to finish, but maybe you need to have a mantra that to take the swim slower in the beginning and just try to find open water...trust me coming from a moper and a boper swimmer that in many races that except for the elites/pros the time that seperates the FOP to the BOP is usually just a few to several minutes, so you have a bike and run to catch all of them....and if not your just probably not faster than them anyway

good luck

2012-10-18 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4458696

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I also think that distance isn't the problem - it's the elements at the start.  I have been doing tris for years and have done every distance but Ironman.    I had the most relaxed perfect swim at my half iron, but even this year I panicked at a sprint! 

I have decided, at least until I am well and truly free of this, that I just need to let the pack go.  If I can get started with some clear space, then I am usually fine.  The 30 seconds I might wait don't compare to the minutes I may waste treading water, hanging on a kayak, whatever. It seems I usually end up gasping/struggling out on my own with no boat! 

Wearing a wetsuit helps me immensely.  I was set back about 5 years this summer when I had to do my first nonwetsuit swim.  I worried the whole time.  If it had been longer, or in a bigger lake, I may not have been able to do it.

So, long story short, keep plugging away at it.  Don't make it your thing - if you expect to panic, you probably will.  Give yourself some room and then start.  THEN, your other techniques will still be useful (counting strokes, etc). 

Finally, the most consistent thing to help me is a warmup if possible.  I can panic on the first few strokes during OWS practice, so to get that out of the way before the race is great.    I just swim long enough to get relaxed.

2012-10-18 11:35 AM

I don't think that you are panicking because you can't do the distance so I don't see a big difference between sprints an oly. You need to figure out the reason for the panic. Swimming more may or may not help you realize this. Do you have panic attacks in other aspect of your life (no need to answer here)? You might be able to figure out the root cause with therapy and counselling it might have nothing to do with swimming but is triggered during the competitive swimming portion.

2012-10-18 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

ridenrundoc - 2012-10-17 5:29 PM So here is the issue:

1. Do I need to stick to sprint tris to get the swim panic under control, or go ahead with the planned Olys next season? I really like the longer distances of the bike and the run (and love the swim when I am relaxed). I don't think my training is lacking, as I feel fit throughout.

2. Any new methods to keep that panic monster away from me?? I do lots of practice open water swims, and never panic at all. THANK you so very much for all the help you all are so gracious to share!!!!!!!

1. It might be the opposite for you because its so short you might always be fighting for position, but a longer race might better suit you because you do have more time to just relax.

2. I did a webinar on this - http://triguycoaching.com/secret-swimming-tips-for-race-day-webinar... - and most of the tips might apply, but you may just need more time in a pool with people splashing you and in open-water with more people splashing you. Sounds crazy but it may help

2012-10-18 3:01 PM

User image

Ames, Iowa
THANK you all for your WONDERFUL advice!! Even though I was open water swimming three times a week, it was always by myself. Now I am coming to realize that the only time I freak out is near the beginning of a crowded tri, when there is lots of congestion (never in any other part of my life, either, which is good, as I deal with emergencies daily!!!). Even when I pool swim, it is in a lane by myself or with only one other person. When there is a time trial start, I am fine. SOOO, I need to find a group of people who can swim into and over me and splash me and all the rest!!!! I honestly do appreciate your help, and I WILL keep on tri-ing!! It is THE BEST and so is this forum!!!!!
2012-10-18 5:11 PM

North Richland Hills, Texas

My wife had a freak out in a sprint last weekend and she practiced in open water.  She started swimming about a year ago and does 2500 meters twice a week or more.  I thought she was ready and she thought she was ready.  It was a 300 meter swim.  Couldn't figure it out because I've never had a problem with open water as far as fear...got lost because I forgot to sight but that's another story...Then I thought about it.

When I was young I was in the boy scouts and at other times I went to the beach a lot.  There was always alot of horsing around in the water with my freinds, dunking each other, playing water polo, chicken rides, swimming in a lake, etc.  Basically wrestling in the water...I also wrestled in high school.  I think this is why the open water swim never bothered me.  Just a lot of people trying to get from here to there and someone who might kick you or punch you by accident.

In my opinion and far from being an expert, I think if someone has a fear of the water in the open water swim and all those legs and arms around you, get with someone in the deep end pool and dunk each other.  Try and swim past them and have them block you or try to.  Get used to struggling / horseplay in the water.  In fact, in a lifesaving course it's one of the drills to save someone in the water.  The "drowning person's" job is to fight you and for you to subdue them.  Teaches you how to fight in the water without drowning and to get comfortable in the water.  When you get into it in the Tri swim all those other people won't be a problem...All this is just a thought but might be a unique approach.

Edited by HendleyK 2012-10-18 5:12 PM
2012-10-18 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4459547

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
ridenrundoc - 2012-10-18 2:01 PM

THANK you all for your WONDERFUL advice!! Even though I was open water swimming three times a week, it was always by myself. Now I am coming to realize that the only time I freak out is near the beginning of a crowded tri, when there is lots of congestion (never in any other part of my life, either, which is good, as I deal with emergencies daily!!!). Even when I pool swim, it is in a lane by myself or with only one other person. When there is a time trial start, I am fine. SOOO, I need to find a group of people who can swim into and over me and splash me and all the rest!!!! I honestly do appreciate your help, and I WILL keep on tri-ing!! It is THE BEST and so is this forum!!!!!

good for you!

Also...this may sound just as crazy as the rest of the advice...swim with other people and learn to swim together and contact each other in a non-combative sort of way. Learn to gracefully brush each other side with a wide recovery arm. Protect your swim space not by being aggressive but by yielding to the water's support...brushing someone aside will result in both of you moving away from each other...the water gives and you'll just move way from the other person. Learn that contact isn't good or bad, it's just something in the water. Two things can't occupy the same space...neither part wins nor loses though...you BOTH move aside because water is like that. It's not like land where you CAN brace yourself off the ground and push someone away. On ground, someone wins the space. In the water no one can...so don't be a fighter.

Granted that there WILL be people who don't understand this and want to fight...so practice having a neutral reaction to that. Don't fight back, just keep your mind centered...those people will go away (probably grabbing onto a kayak, lol). When they swim into you, frantically splashing and hacking at the water...and your energy is soft, yielding and calm...you will continue to move forward through teh water, making forward progress...and they will pick up on how smooth you are and you may help the whole pack swim better.

Enjoy swimming along side other people, not just through and against others. Practice swimming side by side brushing the other r persons recover arm with every stroke.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on Oly tris please! (swim related) Rss Feed