Women Rock Inc
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 23s
Overall Rank = 1/40
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

The usual early arrival-predawn, bathroom stops etc. Because I am so early, often things are not completely setup so finding the right place to be can be a challenge
Event warmup:

I had loads of time and suspected the course was not well marked so I used my warm up time to try to run/walk most of it and work out critical areas. I am glad I did, though i got it wrong during the warm up, my familiarity helped avoid and crazy mistakes during the race. I was also able to think about pacing strategies regarding some of the early hills which I believe helped
Run
  • 22m 23s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

At the horn I took off and was actually leading for over a mile, there was a very steep downhill and a tall long legged guy passed me there and stayed ahead of me by 50 yards or so but he missed a turn around arrow-I yelled, his brother behind me yelled, a volunteer yelled but he was oblivious with his headphones on so a volunteer on a golf cart headed him off but I moved into first and that guy ended up racing ahead to get 4th but won his, much younger, age group. His brother, whom I had met at the pool a few times while they trained for a sprint tri paced off of me by 10 yards or so, he passed on a steep uphill-the return leg of the aforementioned down hill but I took it back at the crest where he blew up a little. That particular hill in the first half was noted in my pre-race preparations as a good place to pace conservatively knowing I had an extended flat area then a long gentle down hill toward the lake to make some real time later. I tried to keep the pressure on, each time I heard his breathing for foot steps come near I would open a gap, then ease up, then gap him again etc-I dug in for a bit of sprint wondering if he would take me but the spry 34 year old guy couldn't catch me. .
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I guess-I won
Post race
Warm down:

stumble around, shake hands drink water. A lady asked me and the guy behind me to take our numbers off and re-enact the finish because she didn't get good picture.
I was awarded my medal by a celebrity of sorts who lives in Allen-Burton Gillam (Blazing Saddles and about 17 car dealerships) He was the first actor to fart on film in a Hollywood movie-that earns him my respect.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I can't answer that-I truly believe this might have been a PR-goal pace run if measured correctly. I race again on 11/3 on a certified course-we'll see if I have it then

Event comments:

The first Annual Surf and Turf 5k benefiting "Women Rock" A very small race obviously but an interesting course. Their course layout and markings need some help but it was a neat area. I selected it because is was local, and because it was at a marina with lake views and some hills. I hope they get through their growing pains and make it work, it is the right time of year for that venue, you could not do it between Memorial day to Labor Day.
there was a raffle of random stuff, some new cars staged to look at and a classic Chris-Craft boat to see, some food in at The Point's outdoor dining area with a nice lake view. I really think they have something here if they get their act together regarding a few details.

Last updated: 2012-10-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:23 | 03.2 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 1/40
Performance: Good
My Strava app gave me a 3.2 not 3.11 so that is what I recorded here. Pity-because had this course been accurately marked I might have gotten my <22 finally
Course: sort of an odd shaped double out and back. the finish line is in a different location from the start line which makes it lay out odder. It sort of rambled through an RV park and up two legs of the peninsula that this marina is located on. http://app.strava.com/runs/25544854
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No