Army Ten-Miler
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 37s
Overall Rank = 4029/21912
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 570/1857
Pre-race routine:

Just a bagel with peanut butter a little water and hit the road at 4:30am. Found only one person from my companies team once I got there.
Event warmup:

Just a little walking around and then lunge matrix. GU 15 mins before start.
Run
  • 1h 20m 37s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Great Run! I set out at a better than expected pace and felt good. I starte at about and 8:20 pace and slowly built up over the whole race. Beside my half last week this is probably the best I have run in a loooonnnngg time. My nutrition and fluid intake was pretty much perfect. I had two GU's for the run. One at the start and then one at 45 mins. Water the whole way until the last water station I got some gatorade.
What would you do differently?:

I had more in the tank than I thought but I didn't want to burn out the last mile or two. I could have gotten below 1:20 but it is still a PR by 6 minutes so I can't complain
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and got some grub and did a little light stretching. It was kind of a long walk about to gear check-out and where I parked so it was a pretty good cool down walk afterwards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much except just being familar with my what my body is telling me and perhaps being more familiar with the course would have helped.

Event comments:

The Army Ten Miler is a great race with great fan support the whole way. The festvities afterwards were good and the grub was too. I wish the signs would have been better for the trolleys that took you back to garment check-out. It made for a good cool down walk though. I will be sure to run this one again next year. Go Navy beat Army!!

Last updated: 2012-06-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:20:37 | 10 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 570/1857
Overall: 4029/21912
Performance: Good
Course: Nice run through DC and I heard some of it is the same as the MCM next weekend.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes