General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 03m 3s
Overall Rank = 2/6
Age Group = Mixed Relay
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Swim
  • 59m 58s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Relay Portion #1 - Our swimmer was very nervous. She is a runner first and foremost. We talked her into the swim after she did an Olympic style individual race this summer and won her age group. We just needed her to finish and she rocked the swim. We "hoped" for 1hour 30minutes and she came in way under that and that was awesome!
What would you do differently?:

She did great - she isn't a "swimmer" like the other teams had but she did an awesome job!
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

They had a 1/4 mile run to the T1 area. She kept suited up and found me and our runner swapped the strap from her leg to my leg and I ran out. Very nice being able to wait fully dressed!

Nothing
Bike
  • 5h 47m 2s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Relay Portion #2 - This was my leg

I got the chip - ran toward the mount line (mounted early by the way - my bad!) and took off. My H/R was so jacked it was registering 175 just from the adrenaline and crowd and everything. Hit the turns to get to the bridge without crossing traffic and flowed through that area supremely (the one benefit to a lot of riding not much flusters me on the bike!).

Crossed the InterCoastal waterway and headed west to our main roads. Headed north and passed more spectators and tried to get my H/R under control. Made it to the I-140 cross over and figured this is where I would calm down and I did as we pushed into a small headwind on this section.

Got off the I-140 and headed north. Had a cross wind but it seemed to help more than hurt and just kept pedaling. Made it to the first rest stop and had to pee bad. A volunteer grabbed my bike and I hit the port-a-potty and emptied out, grabbed some water and a banana and hit the road. Tried to maintain 20mph minimum and just maintain some for the finish leg into the wind.

Not a lot of spectators out here because it was pretty rural but everyone there I gave a thumbs up to and thanked them for their support.

As I passed aid stations I would grab a water/banana and then some clif bars/hammer gels. I finished my Accelerade R4 bottle and grabbed a Heed and slipped that slowly because I dislike the taste immensely.

I made sure I took nutrition every 15-20 minutes and just kept pedaling. I had nothing to do after the bike so I tried to make sure I didn't empty out too soon but didn't want too much left in the tank either. Kind of hard to gauge that over 112 miles!

Started heading west and south again and the wind was 10-15 mph I would say. Not horrible but not fun either. Tried staing in aero as much as possible but I just didn't feel comfortable honestly. Probably a poor setup and not enough aero training as well. My lower back bothered me some so I would stretch it out periodically and then get aero or ride the drops for as long as possible.

Once I hit the final turn I forced myself to finish 3/4 of a clif bar and a hammer gel. This was mile 95 or so and I just kept clicking off the miles. There was one last aid station and I emptied all my bottles and grabbed a small water (warm) from them and drank some and then threw it out and pushed to the finish.

Traffice was bad because of the bridge closings for the race so we got a lot of cheers from people in their cars waiting for us. I got passed by a paceline at this point (which happened about 3 total times in the whole race - I saw a lot of penalties handed out when I looked at the results so I was happy about that!) and that got me mad. I pushed harder and made the final bridge crossing and couple of turns and passed 2 of the paceliners because they were cheats to me. Anyone else I would have just eased off because they had the task of having to run 26.2 miles whereas I was handing off my chip to my runner.

Did a beautiful dismount (we have it on video if you are interested LOL), handed my bike to a volunteer and ran through the center to find my runner.

I was glad it was over and that I had made my goal - sub 6 hour. Should/Could have been faster but hey that ship has sailed and I am happy with my effort.

My favorite comment (from me to the swimmer) - Well I don't know if I would do THAT again! THAT is very open so that is all I will say on that subject for now!

Ride aero more - get a TT bike - Interval riding more - more hard rides
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Dropped bike to volunteer - ran through convention center and found runner!

Nothing we were fastest in this transition area out of all the relay teams (mixed/male/female)
Run
  • 3h 12m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Relay Portion #3 - he was fastest in the mixed relay and 2nd fastest out of all the relay teams and this was 30 days after doing a 2:45 Rochester(NY) marathon time. He struggled but fought through it and almost closed a 1.5 hour gap on the mixed relay winners!

Not run a 2:45 marathon the month before! Do more afternoon long run training!
Post race
Warm down:

We talked and walked and recovered and then drove back to condo to celebrate!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

We were all pretty pleased coming from where we did! We could have done better and it could have been worse. No issues at all at the end of the day. A great experience!

I loved doing the relay and I really admire all of you true IM finishers out there. If I were to ever attempt one it would be B2B but who knows if that will ever occur.

Next year might be a HIM attempt by 4 of us individually. To be determined :)

Event comments:

The only thing I would like is a relay team water station at the finish. There was no bottled water anywhere around but that is the only problem and it is minimal at best!

Last updated: 2012-10-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:59:58 | 4224 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 4/6
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit Required
Course: Channel Swim with a strong tail current
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:47:02 | 112 miles | 19.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 3/6
Performance: Average
147 Avg H/R 175 Peak H/R
Wind: Some
Course: Some small roads out of T1 until we crossed InterCoastal Waterway. Then a northwest treck into a loop and back southeast to the finish line. Pancake flat is how they describe it and they are right!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:12:16 | 26.2 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 1/6
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-22 9:20 AM

User image

muck raker
Looking to enjoy life-Be grateful for everything!
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

(Dean Finish-com.jpg)

(Fan Club-com.jpg)

(Packet-com.jpg)

(USS North Carolina 2-com.jpg)

(B2B Finish-Com.jpg)

(Our Time-com.jpg)

(Finishers-com.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dean Finish-com.jpg (47KB - 6 downloads)
Fan Club-com.jpg (42KB - 8 downloads)
Packet-com.jpg (32KB - 11 downloads)
USS North Carolina 2-com.jpg (35KB - 11 downloads)
B2B Finish-Com.jpg (42KB - 8 downloads)
Our Time-com.jpg (46KB - 5 downloads)
Finishers-com.jpg (36KB - 9 downloads)

2012-10-22 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4463197

User image

Champion
MinneSnowta,
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Great job, it was fun to read and loved the pictures.   Wow, your teammates were all very speedy!  The relay division had some fierce competition.
2012-10-22 8:02 PM

Gold member

Nice job team the whole team!  This is defintely a good first timers course especially if you're swim challenged like myself.  Great job, and if you do give it a go next year, I hope to see at the finish!

Jeff

2012-10-22 9:08 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
over the rainbow
Silver member

Awesome job for your team!

ps, all that stuff yo gave me to get me  to swim with your team?  Heh,I'd still be swimming--even with the current!

2012-10-24 9:38 AM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Awesome job! Ditching excess fluids/nutrition toward the end of the bike leg is a strategy I employed as well--it makes perfect sense. Was it really fair to the other teams that you apparently had rockets strapped to your bike? I mean seriously...
2012-10-24 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Great bike segment! Sounds like you guys had a hoot. Glad you passed 2 of the cheaters. What joy is there in drafting in a tri? Now that its over I wouldn't mind doing it again next year, how about you?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed