United States
Geaux Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 3s
Overall Rank = 49/133
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Race time was 7:30 for the first wave and transition opened at 6:30. After reviewing my previous race reports I let at a decent time (5:35) and got there at 6:25. I have raced at this site probably 6-8 times (mainly sprints) but things were changed up as New Roads was having its Fall Harvest festival. My usual parking spot was not available and even transition was moved.
Got body marked, racked bike and setup my transition area. Found an official to review bike/run in/out since this was a new setup.
Event warmup:

Porto break then a short ½ mile run to warm up. Wetsuit on and quick swim to get everything ready. Ramp to water was really slippery and saw lots of spills. They had a carpet out and made sure to go out on it.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Last year I swam around 39 mins (poor swim) and definitely did much better this year. I really could have saved time if I could swim straight or at least sight better. Making progress but I think the only thing that is going to help me is more OWS time.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Wetsuit off, garmin on, glasses on, helmet on, grab bike and out of transition. I don’t run well with wet, bare feet and lost a lot of time due to that.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 7s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Up a short hill and I am off. Get my feet in my shoes and watch my speed. But the course has changed a little and I swear I hear a cop say to the light and left. Well he said (or meant to say) to the light and go straight. I lose a little time as I make a left and there is a gate. Swing around and luckily someone passes me and I follow him. A couple of riders pass me but I get up to speed, pick a rabbit to follow (actually two) and crank it up. By mile three we are avg 20-21 mph, the two ahead of me keep swapping lead and are a bit too close for drafting comfort. We slowly start to pass people and I keep making sure not to draft. Hit one turn around and end up passing one of my rabbits. She passes me a few minutes later but I pass her again and she drops off. I am down to one rabbit when a lady on an all pink tri bike (Planet X I think) with pink tires flies by. She passes my rabbit but slows down; I am back to two rabbits. I spend a lot of time passing my rabbits then they pass me. Roads are in great shape and having a great ride. Down a gel just to keep going. Another turn around and we catch up to a very attractive female rider which distracts me for a minute until I notice my rabbits are getting away. I gun it and chase them down. We have less than 10 miles left and they decide push the pace. At one point I am doing 23 mph and slowly catching up. I catch them then they accelerate away, miles 21 and 22 show me averaging 22 MPH. I finally decide I need my legs for the run and let them go. Come to the end, down a hill and bike dismount is at the base of the hill (which to me is not a good idea and my only real complaint about the race) but I do a flying dismount and run in.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Rack bike, helmet off, socks shoes on, grab my race number and head off.

I need to learn to run sockless, can do it for 2-3 miles but haven’t tried it for a 10k.
Run
  • 54m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Out of the shoot and up the hill. My typical running pattern for a 10k is a start slow and build speed. After a few hundred feet I see a porto and make a quick stop. Hit the road and start passing people but am getting a chafing pain on the back of my foot. Stop and find a rock in my sock, how the heck did that get there? Head off again and slowly pass folks. Occasionally I get passed by some but I passed more than passed me. One mile mark I take a gel and some water, the last of either for the rest of the race. According my Garmin the mile markers are off by .17 miles. At about the 2 mile mark I pass a guy on the return leg with his phone blasting music. Really wanted to say something but decided to let it go. Hit the 3 mile mark and about 20 feet passed that is the turn around which is pretty much dead on with what my Garmin was showing. Head back and start catching up to a woman who is passing the phone music guy. Evidently she says something to him and he responds with “well I don’t have any earphones on and I am using the phone as a GPS”. About that time I pass him and give him the “that’s a lame excuse” look and he promptly turns off the music. I pass the lady and keep going. I am picking up steam but on the last mile get passed by one guy (not in my AG). The return is down a hill and my knee does not like that at all and I hobble down it. Get to the bottom and sprint in.

For me this was a good 10k, not my fastest but a good one and I am very happy with the results. That said my overall ranking shows that I really need to get faster here. In fact, ranking wise, I did better in the swim than on the run. I guess I never really thought of a 55 min 10k as being slow but evidently it is.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot of fluids, ate some jambalaya, and started packing up. As mentioned earlier there was a snafu on the bike and they were trying to figure out what to do about it. At that point I was 22nd male and 3rd in my AG so I decided to wait a little while to see what they did. After I heard they would figure out a way to merge the other group back in I headed out.

Last updated: 2012-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 73/133
Performance: Average
Suit: Vector pro
Course: Warming up and next thing I know they are saying 30 seconds until wave 1 takes off. I am wave 4 and just hangout. Finally our turn, count down and we are off. Swim course was: Go right (about 30 degrees) to first buoy, slight left heading straight out. Left on the next buoy (parallel to shore). Past a couple of buoys then turn and start heading in. Not a ton of people in our wave so pretty smooth sailing, a few minor bumps but start went okay. Kept sighting on the first buoy and went a little wide but I kept correcting to bring it in. Round 2nd buoy and we are now going parallel to shore and I keep drifting left. Not sure why, kept trying to use the position of the sun to track but just had an awful time of it. Round the last buoy before we start coming in and head to finish, keep drifting left but I am sighting a lot more and it isn’t as bad.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:07 | 24.85 miles | 20.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 34/133
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:58 | 06.21 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 77/133
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-22 8:19 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: Big Cajun Triathlon

2012-10-23 7:35 PM
in reply to: #4464491

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Big Cajun Triathlon

GREAT RACE GARY!!!!!

Perhaps watching pace booty slowed the bike down a bit!!! Nice improvements on the swim!

2012-10-24 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4464491

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Big Cajun Triathlon
Thanks Mav!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Cajun Triathlon Rss Feed