General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 28m 59s
Overall Rank = 102/
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 19/72
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00 AM on race day, had some oatmeal and bad coffee and took the shuttle bus to T1
Event warmup:

I jumped into the water and did a light swim to warm up before the race officials told us it was time to come out and get ready
Swim
  • 56m 11s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took an aggressive spot at the front of the start group on shore and then headed up the beach a bit (opposite the direction of the swim) to stay out of “traffic”. This was a longer route, but it paid off as I had almost no contact with other swimmers and it set me up to the left of the main pack. Being a right side breather, I could see the main field and did not need to take very many sighting breaths. The swim was aided by the tide coming in, so it saved me about 15 minutes (best guess).
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 07m 21s
Comments:

Went smooth, no issues
Bike
  • 6h 13m 23s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.00 mile/hr
Comments:

went out a bit fast,but felt good. Little uneasy being on the highway with cars passing at 80mph. head wind in the return leg was a bit challenging, but overall a great ride.

I stopped at to porta-johns. this was a bit of a waste of time, should have just used the trees...
Transition 2
  • 04m 10s
Comments:

could only go as fast as the person in front of you as you ran around the convention center... overall went fine - someone had sun screen and offered it up - this was great, as I did not have any and the sun was bright.

nothing
Run
  • 4h 07m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

The battery in my Garmin had died at the end of the bike leg, so I had to pace myself based on feel. Water stops were well stocked with gel, heed, water, pretzels, chicken broth, coke, electrolyte tabs and bananas. I stuck with heed and water for the first loop and then moved on to chicken broth and coke. I walked through each water stop and the length of my walks increased as the race went on. Around mile 16 I asked one of the runners for the time and I was shocked when I realized that I was on pace to break 12-hours! My goal had been to break 13 hours and I pushed to keep running without stopping except at the aid stations. Soon, I was counting down the miles and making the final turn to the finishing shoot. The sun had just set and I finished pumping my fists and yelling with the crowed, crossing the line at 11:28:59! This was so far beyond my expectations – I was just amazed.
Post race
Warm down:

I took advantage of the free message and had a few slices of pizza and headed back to our hotel that was overlooking the finish area.

Event comments:

Great race, super support and voulenteers that were really into the race - supporting all of the athleates and providing some great motivation. For my first ironman the race could not have gone any better!

Last updated: 2012-10-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:56:11 | 4224 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/72
Overall: 142/
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: point to point
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:21
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:13:23 | 112 miles | 18.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/72
Overall: 228/
Wind: Little with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:07:57 | 26.2 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/72
Overall: 62/
Course: The run course is two loops of an out and back passing through the historic section of downtown (over cobblestones and brick roads) and then residential neighborhoods and finally to a park where you run on paths around a large pond/lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-23 8:22 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2012-10-26 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4466342

Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

Nice job!  You knocked your expected time out of the park.  I am so hooked on my GPS that It's hard to think about running without it, but you had a solid run...Awesome!

Jeff

2012-10-27 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4466342

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Nice work out there
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed