General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Same Course or similar course to improve IM time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-26 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Same Course or similar course to improve IM time

Ok so my main goal is to improve my times in the IM distance each season to one day get to KONA, so last year I did a smaller Iron distance (Chesapeakeman) to get my feet wet with the distance, this year I will be competing at IM Arizona next month....So I was planning on registering for Florida 2013 on NOV 4, but than I thought maybe I should  just stick with Arizona bc I will know the course and have experience on the course....or do I just do a different location which would still have a similer course (flat and windy)....what are your thoughts? If you were trying to improve your time which path would you take same course vs differnt course but similar aspects (flat windy and in cooler months)

2012-10-26 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4470646

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: RE: Same Course or similar course to improve IM time

Too many variables to use your time year to year as a true indicator.  Obviously faster is better, but have to account for weather.  Hot, cold, windy, raining.

If your goal is to really improve over the next couple year, I wouldn't necessarily be married to one course...although psychologically it may help....it isn't going to cause you to dramatically alter your race tactics...you will swim your speed, ride to your capability and run according to your fitness on that day.

Instead, consider using what percentile in your AG you are coming in during your races.  Are you top 20% this year and next year maybe you start cracking the top 10%...it makes a lot more sense to do it that way for me.  Also shows where your weak / strong relative to the rest of the group....so one day, when you are ready, you will start knowing who some of the top AGers are and if you are really racing for a spot than tactics start to play into it if you know how your bike and run compare to the FOP and if you can go with someone or not...

not sure if that is what you were thinking or not

2012-10-26 12:26 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I would spend more time racing sprints, olys and halfs.
2012-10-26 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4470699

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

JohnnyKay - 2012-10-26 12:26 PM I would spend more time racing sprints, olys and halfs.

That's a good point.  I think a lot of people would be well-served to not get too addicted to the distance and work on the technique, power, speed instead.  When you get caught up slogging the miles and doing Ironman distance all the time, I notice "most" people tend to not really be making huge speed gains or burn out or hurt themselves.  I do know a couple people who crushed sprints and olympics until they started winning them and then jumped into some longer stuff and carried that with them.  Fast is Fast.  It's easier to get fast I think when your not so worried about making the distance and putting up the monster volume.

edit to add that there is a lot to be said for some experience and being able to nail nutrition etc....obviously depends if you have wife, kids, job, and a schedule that lets you train a lot too.  Lot of tradeoffs and it is a multi-year commitment as you noticed.

Edited by acumenjay 2012-10-26 12:55 PM
2012-10-26 12:53 PM

Master
Northern IL

I see this as being way down the list of things to think about. What about either course would be tricky to learn? They're both flat with some wind potential. It's more knowing how to race the distance than course knowledge, especially with the two given. With their similarity, the one that has you more excited to be there is likely where you'll have more fun, and therefore a better day at.

ETA: And note what Johnny and Jay just said.

Edited by brigby1 2012-10-26 12:54 PM
2012-10-26 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4470756

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
brigby1 - 2012-10-26 12:53 PM

I see this as being way down the list of things to think about. What about either course would be tricky to learn? They're both flat with some wind potential. It's more knowing how to race the distance than course knowledge, especially with the two given. With their similarity, the one that has you more excited to be there is likely where you'll have more fun, and therefore a better day at.

ETA: And note what Johnny and Jay just said.

Agree with Jay.  The Kona slot will not be allocated based on time (like qualifying for Boston etc.) but based on how you do against others that day.  So it is your performance with respect to others.  I have not done a full yet, but i can use my HIM as an example.  In 2011 I did my first one, finished IM Kansas 70.3 in 5:41.  I think I was 35th out of 100 or so in Age Group and overall I think I was just outside top 3rd as well.  Last month I did IM Branson 70.3 which has a VERY Hilly bike course as compared to other IM 70.3 courses and I went 5:44 but was 13th out of 80 or so in Age group.  Percentage wise much better than Kansas.  Also overall I was 150th or so out of 800 so percentage wise much better than top 3rd.  So know that had I done Kansas this year with that fitness level I would have done very well, probably 5:20s.  I do not think you should ignore time since to quality for Kona I know that I would not make it going 11-12 hours at a "typical" IM race under favorable conditions (low wind, cool temps etc.).   If the course is fast or easy for you, it is for your cometitors also.  If you are really good at climbing for example, pick a course that is hilly.  If you are a very strong swimmer that does well in choppy conditions etc. choose a race that typically has rough swims.  Some people do great in the heat, so choose a hot one if that fits your abilities.  Otherwise, just get out there and train your arse off.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Same Course or similar course to improve IM time Rss Feed