Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-02-01 12:04 PM
in reply to: Bigbadbikerbob

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: M Dot Tattoo b4 ironman

I qualified for Boston in late 2011 and was extremely anxious to get a tat for that race but I refused until I completed the race.  Many people in my family were of the opinion that I should go ahead and get it because "Well you've already qualified to get there.  What makes the difference?"  I kindly told them that getting into the race is one thing, actually completing the race is something different.

Anything can happen, as we all know now.  I could have been one of the unlucky people that were unable to finish in 2013 after the bombings occurred or, worse yet, been one of the ones injured near the finish line.  As it was, i finished about 40 minutes ahead of the bombings............

I got the tat in June 2013.

Simply put, earn it!  I'll be doing IMWI this season.  Anyone want to guess when I'll get my M-dot?  After Sept 7!

2014-02-01 1:12 PM
in reply to: DirkP

New user
Guy is a definite Troll. Who does an Ironman and say's not that bad?????????????
2014-02-02 2:39 AM
in reply to: mikealti62

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by mikealti62Guy is a definite Troll. Who does an Ironman and say's not that bad?????????????
...someone who trained well, then competed within his capabilities...???
2014-02-02 11:00 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

New user
And got the M dot tat before doing it
2014-02-14 12:48 PM
in reply to: ranman69

User image

i've always bought the 26.2, 13.1 and 70.3 mile stickers several days before the race as a good look charm as I am going to finish this puppy but I don't display them or put them on my car until I have earned them. I don't even like to wear the race shirt until after I have done the race. I can't imagine getting the tattoo before the race. When I do my first ironman I will get my first tattoo but not until I have crossed that finish line and hear and you are an ironman.
2014-02-14 1:20 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Originally posted by DirkP

I qualified for Boston in late 2011 and was extremely anxious to get a tat for that race but I refused until I completed the race.  Many people in my family were of the opinion that I should go ahead and get it because "Well you've already qualified to get there.  What makes the difference?"  I kindly told them that getting into the race is one thing, actually completing the race is something different.

Anything can happen, as we all know now.  I could have been one of the unlucky people that were unable to finish in 2013 after the bombings occurred or, worse yet, been one of the ones injured near the finish line.  As it was, i finished about 40 minutes ahead of the bombings............

I got the tat in June 2013.

Simply put, earn it!  I'll be doing IMWI this season.  Anyone want to guess when I'll get my M-dot?  After Sept 7!

Couldn't agree more.  I am still wondering if I made the right decision to NOT get the M-Dot tattoo after I did IMWI2012.  Maybe if I complete it again this year (see ya there), I'll be in line with you .  Good luck and enjoy the journey ahead!

2014-04-16 2:57 PM

User image

Originally posted by Bigbadbikerbob

I am doing my first ironman this coming summer and got my M dot already and someone at my gym was asking about it and started to argue with me saying rude stuff to say the least.. He couldn't grasp that i am GOING to complete it i know it.. What do you think? Was this wrong of me?

My opinion is that you should never get the tat until AFTER you've completed the race. I know that's probably not what you like to hear and I hate to sound rude, but I just feel pretty strongly about it.

It's a huge feat to complete an IM and I think only those that have actually endured the pain and hard work should be wearing that tattoo. I'd love to have one and some day I know I will, too. Anything can happen in a year. I broke both of my feet two years ago before I was planning to attempt Boston qualification. I have picked up bacteria in a body of water and been sick for 4 months and had to back out on races... it can happen. Ironman training is hard work and taxing on the body. No one knows they will finish until they've crossed the line.
2014-04-16 2:58 PM
in reply to: FredsRider

User image

Originally posted by FredsRider

It is like buying finisher gear before you finished the race. Bad Karma. Anything can happen on race day, no matter how well prepared you are finishing is never guaranteed. Hope you do well at your race and earn that Mdot. No ink for me I like to keep a low profile about my Ironman status when I am out and about.

This drives me crazy too!!!!
2014-04-16 3:43 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Someday we'll put this thread to rest.  Going on two years now...

2014-04-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: FF Stock

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Originally posted by FF Stock

Someday we'll put this thread to rest.  Going on two years now...

Is there a troll award given out somewhere over the vast internet. This should get some type of recognition!!
2014-04-23 12:34 AM

User image

Austin

Originally posted by Bigbadbikerbob for the record, i completed the ironman, screw you haters working on my 2nd one this summer

grats!

after my first 70.3 i got the Mdot logo on my shoulder, but only had them do half.. its part of my motivation and inspiration every day to keep training with focus. I will get the second half in a year or two.

One of my favorite things at races is when people ask me about it and I explain it. Its even more encouraging to me and sometimes them.

Don't let the haters ever get you down for what you need to do.

2014-04-24 2:57 PM
in reply to: ranman69

User image

Richland, Washington
IMO the only "mdot" tat you will ever see on me is AFTER I finish kona.... Even then, if I don't do well, I probably won't get it.... This coming from a guy that has a pair of goggles tattooed on his hip..... No I'm not kidding. Had I swam .02 faster in my last competitive race back in early 2000, those goggles would've been Olympic Rings.
2014-05-06 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4937289

Less so with the doctor, but for example calling yourself a graduate before you are is a great way to upset other people (like someone who would hire you). And triathletes are some of the most passionate people I have ever met, especially when it comes to Ironman.

What if your training goes poorly, or the course is awful? What if something bad happens? This tattoo sounds like a curse!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » M Dot Tattoo b4 ironman Rss Feed  

of 5