General Discussion Race Reports! » Longboat Key International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Longboat Key International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Longboat Key, Florida
United States
Longboat Key Triathlon Race Series
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 39s
Overall Rank = 92/227
Age Group = Under 39 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Normal race day morning, got up early, had a slice of wheat bread with crunchy peanut butter and a glass of milk. Out the door and on the road by 10 to 5.

Arrived, dropped off bike, hit the porti-pottie, got body marked and timing chip, set up transition, met up with a few training partners, hit the porti-potties again then went back to the truck for a nap. Slept for about 30 minutes then got up, went back to check transition set up just before it closed. Made the walk to the beach start area and waited the final few minutes.
Event warmup:

Walked to the beach, did a few arm stretches and a few hamstring & quad stretches. Did not get in the water because it was cold!
Swim
  • 11m 10s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

For all of the fears about this swim being cancelled, Red Tide and heavy surf, everything when great. The location of the swim course makes it almost impossible to be affected by wind and waves.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better on the last 200 yards. Drifted a little to my right.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

With only a 20 second margin of victory, every second in transition is important.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 59m 2s
  • 20 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Knew the wind was going to be an issue, made myself stay at a steady cadence and not worry about mph or getting passed. Worked very well, stayed very even. Made the turn and took advantage of the wind all the way back. Did see some drafting, but also saw the race officials out on the course taking down numbers.

Could have been better with hydration, but otherwise a very good ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Another good T2. I wish there was a prize for fastest transitions.

Wipe the topes of my feet a little better, ended up with a blister on my left arch.
Run
  • 46m 57s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Not as much run training as I would like going into this race, however I found a rhythm and after the first 2 miles ran the last 2 1/2 at almost identical .5 mile splits. 4:40 to 4:46. Last .5 mile was faster and the final 100 yards was as hard as I could go.

Train more. Other than that, this was as good a run leg as I could have hoped for. When I looked at my watch and I thought I could go under 2 hours, I really pushed to keep a good pace and when I looked at mile 4 and had just under 9 minutes to go, I knew I could make it.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, cold towel, walk, talk and some leg stretches. Then change and food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same thing I've been saying all season, lose weight and train more. Looking forward to life after football and how much more training I'll be able to do.

Event comments:

They cut out the pre-race dinner at packet pick-up, but the post race food is still great. More than enough food, salad, grilled veggies, potatoes with toppings, hot dogs, burgers, ribs, cookies, brownies, water, sodas and BEER!

Last updated: 2012-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:10 | 880 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 79/227
Performance: Good
Suit: Ryder Bikes Trisuit
Course: Point to point, left from beach, straight for about 250 yards, then slight right for another 200, then hard right to the exit beach. Garmin shows a swim of .3 of a mile. Knew it was short when I exited because there is NO WAY I swam a half mile in 11 minutes.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:02 | 20 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 88/227
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back, south to north along the main island road. Great course for fast times except when you're into a 20+ mph headwind! The way back was great though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:57 | 05 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 130/227
Course: New course for the 3rd year in a row. Finally moved the run off of the beach. The entire run is now on the frontage road and golf course. The course is basically 3 progressively smaller loops. The first 2+ miles are around the perimeter, the next mile+ is in the middle of the course and the last mile is an out and back down the center of the course. Very well marked with signs and volunteers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-28 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Longboat Key International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longboat Key International Triathlon Rss Feed