General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Nice France Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-28 8:48 PM

Staten Island
Subject: Ironman Nice France

Has anybody done the Ironman in Nice France? Considering it for my 1st Ironman and looking for any input I can get from people who have done it.

Thanks

2012-10-29 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4472838

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Nice France
It's on my list as well.
Supposed to be a very tough bike course. I've heard that a road bike is preferable to a tri bike b/c of all the climbing.
There's an English-speaking ex-Pat tri club based in Paris called Expatries. They've been great about answering questions about races in France.
2012-10-29 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4473456

Staten Island

Appreciate the advice!  I read the same about the Bike. I'll et you know if I sign up....

Lou

2013-03-06 3:16 PM

New user

Long Island, NY

I'll actually be doing Ironman France this June, and it will be my first IM distance event as well. Let me know if you've decided to go for it, and how the training's coming. 

2013-05-06 3:47 PM

Regular
I raced IM France about five years ago. To date, it's my first and only IM-distance race. Definitely on my list to go back and do again (both because it's a fabulous race and because I DNF'd on the run). Swim is a bit crazy. 2500+ person mass start. Water was fine, but the beach is very rocky, which is tough on your feet for the 30+ mins you end up standing on the beach waiting for the race to start. Some people tried to bring cheap flip-flops to save their feet, but officials strongly discouraged that because of the littering issue. Bike course is stunningly beautiful, but also difficult. I did the bike course slowly and split the first half in about 4 hours and the second in about three hours. You pretty much climb out of Nice for the first half and then coast downhill in for the second half. Beautiful views and long climbs (one was 13 miles long), but very rarely did it hit a steep pitch. I think the steepest it got was 10% and that climb was only about a half-mile. Run course is perfectly flat along the beach. Out and back four times. While it being flat makes it easier, it can get exceptionally hot on the run since there is absolutely no shade. Overall the race was well managed and I'd definitely recommend it.
2013-10-09 8:20 PM
in reply to: zimnavodaj

So did you do it? I signed up this year and now Im in your old shoes looking for info. Please help ease my mind. Its my 1st as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Nice France Rss Feed