Greenville Track Club
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 26s
Overall Rank = 293/1520
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 6:05, ate two pieces of honey wheat toast with gnuetella before leaving the house. Just got in line in the middle of the starting group and ran.
Event warmup:

Not much, really. I never got a chance to warm up.
Run
  • 1h 52m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I was worried coming into today how I'd feel. I ran a lot this week, much more than it seems I should have, and was suffering some aches, pains, etc. But I didn't hurt at all during the run, really. I went by feel during the race, kept my pace under 9 (really under 8:55, and my Timex average was different than the race average...I got a time of 1:51.54, and an average of 8:38, which seems right to me) and tried not to feel worn out for the hills starting mile 8. The hills really seemed to make a difference for me, those are where I passed people. My overall fitness was evident on those, I'd be running with a group until a hill, and then I'd just run past most of them; I could really notice it...and was thrilled. And I never felt like I was redlining and was going to lose it. It was a great feeling. I pushed the last 1/2 mile at the end and went really hard to the line, which was a nice run inside the baseball stadium.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing...for the first 6 miles, I ran harder/faster than planned, but it felt good, so I stuck with it. I clearly could run faster/longer than I'd estimated in my head, which was a nice thing to find out.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and ate everything in sight: yogurt, banana, cookie, sports drink, 1/2 a sandwich. Just relaxed and cooled down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not a thing, this was pretty close to perfect today.

Event comments:

It's a great race as long as you're prepared for the hills, which I was! I loved finishing and starting at the stadium, and the course is beautiful. You stay in downtown and the time of the year is perfect. It wasn't expensive, and the shirt's nice, too.

Last updated: 2012-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:26 | 13.1 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1520
Performance: Good
Course: For the first almost 8 miles, it's rolling hills, nothing major, and actually a lot of downhill. Starting a little before mile 8, steep uphills and rolling steep hills for the rest of the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes