General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Vineman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-05-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Vineman : Official Thread
Originally posted by TTom

Nicole,

I posted on the Vineman 70.3 forum and got the response that in fact the organizers do a good job of repairing the really big holes and marking the others.  Good to hear!  I'm going to ride the course again with a cycling buddy next week and will post any new findings I think are worthwhile.  Question for those familiar with the course: Is there a fountain in Geyserville where one can refill water bottles, or a store where we can buy water?  I'd guess the answer would have to be yes, but want to stash some water if not sure as it is going to be WARM on that ride.

So today was another triple brick - 2100 yd swim/37 mile ride/7 mile run.  These workouts are a real new thing for me as I still consider myself new to Tri.  The neat thing here is that on this training brick, comparing it to my Oly last fall, my swim was faster by 13 sec/100, the bike was at the same pace as the Oly, and the run was 16 sec/mile slower - but that's a victory as I'm trying to SLOW DOWN after getting off the bike.  Tells me that I've made some good progress over the past few months of training and am on the right track for July!

The little town after you 'D' marker above I believe is Geyserville? If so, not sure if there a fountain but the is definitly a small market where you can buy whatever you need.

2013-05-31 9:14 AM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Mesa, AZ
I'm impressed with your triple brick. I have done some bike, run bricks but usually about 25 mile bike, 3 mike run.

I got some good news yesterday, I got accepted for New York City Marathon after entering lottery 201, 2011, 2012 & 2013
2013-05-31 10:08 AM
in reply to: foyth

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Suzanne, thanks for the info on Geyserville.  I'll bake that into the ride plan.

Tom, congrats on getting into the NYC.  That is supposed to be a GREAT race, one for the run bucket list. 

2013-05-31 10:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Double post.  Must learn patience on the "submit" button.  But then, "submit" is not in the Triathlete lexicon, is it?

Edited by TTom 2013-05-31 10:09 AM
2013-06-07 9:21 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Rode the course (mostly) again yesterday.  Training plan called for 3:30 on the bike @ PRE2 followed by 20 min run@ PRE 2.  Day didn't quite work out according to plan.  Talked my cycling/running buddy Paul into joining me.  He's great in both disciplines and pushes me.  So we start out and he gets 2 flats in the first 2 miles; the second a blowout that sounded like a gunshot, blew the tire off the rim and split the tube down the seam.  At this point we've used up most of our repair supplies so decide the better part of valor is to head to the LBS to resupply, then do a restart.  (Note: Downtown Windsor has a great bike shop, Windsor Bicycle Center.  Great service, great attitude.  Explained what happened as we bought 3 replacement tubes and the guy, with a smile, said he'd throw in a 4th for free.  Guess he decided we might need it!) We were riding most of the Vineman 70.3 course, the same as I did two weeks ago, and I told him he was welcome to draft behind me but I really didn't want to draft off him so I could get a better approximation of the course and my fitness.  He was fine with that, but it didn't mean he was going to slow down when he was out front.  As a result, ended up with an average HR @ Z4.4 according to my Garmin with a max at Z5.8.  Sounds like I need to redo the LT test perhaps.  The good news is that at mile 56 the clock was right at 3 hours, so looks like my goal is not completely unrealistic.  Found the hills to be easier this time.  Total ride came in at 3:03 for 57 miles (excluding the dual flat aborted attempt, with that got the 3:30). As a side note, Paul did get a 3rd flat at mile 34, so the bike shop guy must have been clairvoyant!

Then we transitioned to the run which during the race I want to do in a time (unheard of!), but after that captured data correctly and showed my HR went from 153-169.  I was pretty happy with that considering the pace and the fact it was after the ride, but I now need to focus on keeping it below 160 for as long as possible, knowing in the final miles the target likely will rise to 170.

Overall I feel pretty good about the day.  Riding it a second time was definitely worth it to gain more familiarity and to see that I could push harder.  Somehow the front half did not seem as bumpy as last time but I did stick more to the center of the lane on Westside than I did last time.  Paul commented that the front half was more challenging than he expected which, coming from him, made me feel better in my own assessment of it.  I also found that Chalk Hill was easier this time even though I had pounded harder on all the miles before it, so I'm choosing to believe that means my fitness level on the bike is improving.Laughing.

The weather really cooperated yesterday as we started out with overcast and ended up in the mid 70's.  Is it too early to start praying for such conditions come race day?

2013-06-07 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I've raced this one twice and the first time it was 80 degrees by 7am, full sun and eventually reached 103 on the run. The second time it was around 52 degrees and foggy, stayed that way until I hit the run where it hit in the mid 80's.

The biggest challenge to me with the high heat was the swim since it was magically 75.8 degrees, making it wetsuit legal. I felt like a turkey in a roasting bag. If it looks to be super hot this year I'll use my short john rather than a full suit.

2013-06-07 9:12 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by LittleCat I've raced this one twice and the first time it was 80 degrees by 7am, full sun and eventually reached 103 on the run. The second time it was around 52 degrees and foggy, stayed that way until I hit the run where it hit in the mid 80's. The biggest challenge to me with the high heat was the swim since it was magically 75.8 degrees, making it wetsuit legal. I felt like a turkey in a roasting bag. If it looks to be super hot this year I'll use my short john rather than a full suit.
Suzanne - I vote for the overcast and 52 degreesLaughing.  Since you've done this race twice, can you explain how T2 works?  You'll be coming in off the bike and somehow have to know were to take the bike to meet your running gear.  Are you assigned a bike rack position and set up your gear the night before, covering it or something to keep it from getting all dew covered or what? 

-Tom 

2013-06-07 10:33 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Hi Tom! T2 is set up by age waves and you must choose a spot within your age group, first come, first serve. Get there early if you want an end spot or to be close to the end. There is an 8 person limit per rack, so you just pick a spot on a rack with less than 8 spots already layed out(it will make total sense when you see it) lay out your things how you want them, or some people leave their things in a bag. Its really personal at that point. No need to cover anything.

All the racks are labeled clearly with ages, but I've seen/heard that some folks tie a bright bandana to the rack above their spot in order to spot it easier, especially if you have a middle of the rack spot.

T1 is the same, when you get there race morning you choose a spot on the racks for you AG and set up shop, again if you want an end plan to get there early. T1 is much more manic since AG waves start together and tend to exit/transition much closer time wise than in T2, so expect it to be a but crowded out of the water.

And that pesky little hill right out of T1, many people run up it(with bike shoes on) and mount up at the top.
2013-06-07 10:40 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by LittleCatHi Tom! T2 is set up by age waves and you must choose a spot within your age group, first come, first serve. Get there early if you want an end spot or to be close to the end.
How would you define 'early' in both cases? I guess for t2 the question is 'when does it open?' since I'll be up there early for a 9:00am intro to the swim and bike the organizers are putting on. Edit: OK, checked the race website and answered my own question. Swim area opens at 5:30 am. For t2 you have to have your race number to set up your gear. To get your race number you have to attend one of the PRE-race meetings that start at 9:30 and seem to run every hour thereafter so first gear drop off is at 10:30. I guess I'll get to the first possible meeting after the swim bike intro, or maybe skip that, do an early check in and then just drive over and check out the swim area and start of the bike.

Edited by TTom 2013-06-07 10:49 PM
2013-06-09 10:12 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Looking at the wave starts and still scratching my head as to the logic (see here).  I'll be in the M55+ wave and right behind me will be the women's waves with ages 30-39 over 3 waves.  Some of the women are real fish and I expect to be passed, or passed over, by quite a few as I'll definitely not be a FOP in the water!  For those of you who have done this race before, is this the same wave logic as in the past, and how did it work out in the water and later in the race? 
2013-06-13 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Hi everyone, just joining the thread so hope everyone is doing well with their training!

I will be coming up from Guatemala and looking forward to a fun race, so hopefully it won't be too hot.

Here is a great video about the race course to know what to expect by View the Race in case you haven't seen it yet: http://viewtherace.com/california/ironman-vineman

Cheers!

2013-06-14 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4479377

Brawley (Middle of the Desert), CA
Hey all. Just thought I would drop a line and introduce myself. I'm Lauren from Southern CA (middle of the desert). I did Oceanside as my first HIM and busted up my knees so I will be doing the Aquabike on July 27. I did my first Aquabike last month (Olympic) and got off the bike super excited that I didn't have to run! I have been focusing mostly on CrossFit over the last few months to rebuild strength in my knees so have not ridden as much as I should but am hoping for a sub 4 hour total time. My swim was 38 min in Oceanside, but with all the issues I have with wetsuits, hopefully doing this one without a wetsuit will improve my time.
Thanks for all the info on the course and good luck to everyone. May the Course be with you!

Can anyone compare the bike to Oceanside? Especially Chalk hill vs the two big ones in Oceanside.
2013-06-14 5:11 PM
in reply to: lmhutch86

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by lmhutch86 Hey all. Just thought I would drop a line and introduce myself. I'm Lauren from Southern CA (middle of the desert). I did Oceanside as my first HIM and busted up my knees so I will be doing the Aquabike on July 27. I did my first Aquabike last month (Olympic) and got off the bike super excited that I didn't have to run! I have been focusing mostly on CrossFit over the last few months to rebuild strength in my knees so have not ridden as much as I should but am hoping for a sub 4 hour total time. My swim was 38 min in Oceanside, but with all the issues I have with wetsuits, hopefully doing this one without a wetsuit will improve my time. Thanks for all the info on the course and good luck to everyone. May the Course be with you! Can anyone compare the bike to Oceanside? Especially Chalk hill vs the two big ones in Oceanside.
Hey Lauren, welcome aboard.  I've not done Oceanside but a quick internet search turned up the following from someone who appears to have raced both courses a number of times:

I've done Oceanside x 6, Vineman 70.3 x 2, and Lake Stevens x 1. Here's how I
see it:

Swim: Oceanside's the most difficult (cold, choppy water, and
sighting is always a nightmare for me). Vineman and Lake Stevens are a toss up,
with both of them being fairly easy. The Russian river's not very wide, so you
can't really get off track, even if you're swimming into the sun and can't see
at thing. Also, the water at Vineman is very warm, i.e., boarderline wetsuit
legal.

Bike: I'd say all three are on par, but Oceanside is the toughest
if the wind conditions are not favorable. If I had to pick I'd say that Vineman
is the easiest bike, but you could be dealing with heat if you have a late wave
start.

Run: I think Lake Stevens is the toughest
run because of the two trips up and down the long hill.
I think

Oceanside's easier than Vineman because there are a few sharp climbs at Vineman.
Also, it can get hot on the run at Vineman.

Weather: Oceanside's
definitely coldest. Vineman could be cool, hot, or somewhere in between. The one
time I did Lake Stevens, the weather was cool in the morning and warmer (but
never hot) as the day went on.

2013-06-18 8:57 PM
in reply to: lmhutch86

I'm doing the July 27 aqua bike too. Really looking forward to no run!
2013-06-27 2:34 AM

User image

Mesa, AZ
I'm in the 55+ wave also but I like the setup for waves since with 55+ in middle, it gives me moret ime to complete swim. I think it will take me an hour to complete swim course
2013-07-01 7:53 PM
in reply to: foyth

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Bib numbers are posted!

2013-07-01 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Originally posted by LittleCat

Bib numbers are posted!

How do I find mine? What's it under?
2013-07-01 10:50 PM
in reply to: EV3110

User image

Mesa, AZ
I saw it on facebook with a link to list on Vineman 70.3 web site.

Tom Foy M 70-74 BIB 1620
2013-07-01 11:00 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Here's the link: http://www.vineman.com/Ironman_70_3_Vineman/entries_race01.htm

Elena, your number is 470 (the only Elena from Hollister!).  I got lucky number 1467. 

Edited by TTom 2013-07-01 11:00 PM
2013-07-01 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Originally posted by TTom

Here's the link: http://www.vineman.com/Ironman_70_3_Vineman/entries_race01.htm

Elena, your number is 470 (the only Elena from Hollister!).  I got lucky number 1467. 

That's me!! 470!!! Woohoo!!!! :D
2013-07-02 1:26 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Water temp got up to 80.4(!) yesterday, but is down to 74 this morning. Who knows what race day will bring?

2013-07-02 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Let's hope the temp is 20degrees cooler than the week has been!!!
2013-07-02 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Bib 1797 and hoping for non-wetsuit legal swim!
2013-07-02 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
Bib 2514 here......I am as nervous now as I was for my first triathlon exactly a year ago!
2013-07-02 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
So I might need a ride (San Diego) and if anyone is looking to stay Friday through Monday I have a room reserved at the Holiday Inn express in Windsor for the entire race weekend. 2 queen bed so if anyone wants to go half that would be awesome!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Vineman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5