General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Vineman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-07-13 9:23 AM
in reply to: TTom

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Vineman : Official Thread
Have a good time tomorrow and please report back on every little detail on the town, the swim, the bike course, the After party, the wineries! Coming in 2 weeks for vineman, so give us all the info enquiring minds want to know! And have fun out there.

2013-07-13 11:27 AM
in reply to: Throwdownmyace

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Originally posted by Throwdownmyace

Have a good time tomorrow and please report back on every little detail on the town, the swim, the bike course, the After party, the wineries! Coming in 2 weeks for vineman, so give us all the info enquiring minds want to know! And have fun out there.

x2
2013-07-14 9:31 PM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

First HIM is in the books!  Let me set it up for you.  All last week I had a chest cold (one day of false hope) such that on Friday I was considering a DNS.  All during my training for the swim, my plan had been to use a tempo trainer under the swim cap for the race to keep me from going too hard, only to get a rules clarification from USAT that this is considered headphones and thus illegal (even though I had an official tell me OK at Pacific Grove last year).  All during my training I had used HR and had planned out the bike and run with appropriate zones - then I left my HR strap at home hanging in the closet.  Yup, a classic case of "Plan the race, then race the plan". 

So how did it turn out?  I killed it.  In my stretch goal I had hoped to get in just under 6 hours and ended up doing a 5:41:17!  To hit that goal, for the swim I had expected a 40 minute time, ended up at 35:10.  For the bike, was planning on a 3:10, ended up at 2:57.  For the run, planned a 2:00 and ended up 2:00:09.  Surprised my by coming in 26/89 in my AG, so very happy with the results overall.  I'll get a RR up tomorrow probably, but right now, I'm just plain pooped!

2013-07-15 11:21 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Vineman 70.3 race report is up: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=247119

Feeling appropriately sore this morning but nothing painful.  Stupid cold is still with me - I felt better after the race in this regard! 

Thanks for all the congrats, this was by far the hardest physical challenge I've ever accomplished in my life.  The last two miles of the run required total focus and was accompanied by growning nausea.   I saw a recent post that said that if you puke before the finish line, you went too hard, if you puke after the finish line you didn't go hard enough, and if you puke at the finish line, you left it all on the course.  Well, I didn't quite puke on the nice volunteer who was removing my timing chip, but as soon as she was done . . .

2013-07-16 11:28 AM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
First off, congrats to everyone on their races! Reading some of the race reports and it seems like everyone had a good day.

Some friends and I are considering doing Vineman 70.3 next year but we consistently hear about the shallow swim and poor road conditions. What are your thoughts on these perceived negatives? Would it cause you not to do the race again?
2013-07-16 11:48 AM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Danville
Originally posted by devilfan02

First off, congrats to everyone on their races! Reading some of the race reports and it seems like everyone had a good day.

Some friends and I are considering doing Vineman 70.3 next year but we consistently hear about the shallow swim and poor road conditions. What are your thoughts on these perceived negatives? Would it cause you not to do the race again?

This was my third year at Vineman 70.3. I don't think either of these things are negatives at all, they are just small parts of what is a great race in one of the most beautiful places. Yes, the river can be shallow in a few spots - it was a little more this year over the last two years, but it doesn't slow you down - just get up and walk/jog for a minute and then jump back into swimming - that's part of this races unique fun. The river is beautiful with redwood trees on each side. As for the bad roads, yes there are spots where the roads are bad - these are small country roads not used often and some are more agricultural areas. But there are plenty of spots where the road is great. And while riding you are seeing absolutely beautiful scenery of vineyards, rolling hills, and 200 year old California blue oak trees.

Shallow water, rough roads - don't let these complaints put you off - the overall race is magnificent and I'll do it again and again.

2013-07-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: Kevin26.2

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
^ Awesome and thanks for the input!
2013-07-16 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
I absolutely agree with Kevin26.2. You cannot beat the scenery on the beautiful course.
2013-07-16 12:15 PM
in reply to: EV3110

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by EV3110I absolutely agree with Kevin26.2. You cannot beat the scenery on the beautiful course.
+2
2013-07-16 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
Well since this was my first HIM I have limited knowledge of other courses but I can say that this course was awesome. You cant beat the scenery and it also gives an excuse to travel somewhere most people just see pictures of. The swim course was a blast and was almost like an obstacle course. The bike was challenging but not too difficult, Chalk Hill was a monster. The run was...well.... a run. The portion of it through La Crema winery was cool and very serene. Volunteers and support staff were awesome.

One word of advice....DO NOT stay at the Rodeway Inn in Rohnert Park. I heard gunshots and cops were patrolling the area quite a bit. Spend the money and get a nice room in Windsor or Santa Rosa.
2013-07-19 6:52 PM
in reply to: chrismcturnan

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Hey everyone, thanks for all your comments in this thread as we prepared for the race.  It is great to be a part of a team and to have others to bounce your ideas off of and to get advice when things are going south.  Next time, let's make sure we set up a meet and greet time at the race to put the faces with the names. 

So, this was my first HIM and I was really pleased with the outcome.  So pleased that, nibbling at the corner of my mind, like a mouse around the edges of a cracker, is the thought of doing my first full Ironman there next year.  Anyone else?

2014-04-17 4:29 PM

Orange County, California
Haven't seen a new thread for the 2014 70.3 Vineman. How is everyone's training going? It's my first time doing this race and it will actually be my first 70.3 All the reviews and reports are awesome. I am counting down the days!
2014-04-19 8:39 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Elite

ooooh yay! add me to the thread!! I'm doing this. Bucket list race to check off.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Vineman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5