General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couple HIM training questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-01 10:57 PM

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
Subject: Couple HIM training questions
So, been away from here for some time now...been living/working in Iraq for the past two years. That said, I'm wanting to get back into it and am looking at Augusta 70.3 as my first race back. However, I raced KS 70.3 in 2009 at 162lbs and after coming back from Iraq, I tip the scales at a lb or two over/under 200. So, obviously, my weight and fitness need a bit of work...

Planning on running the Mardi Gras half with my 19 yr old in feb, so that training will start soon but I don't know where to begin for the swimming and biking. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Secondly, the wife wants to do augusta with, me, but is afraid that she doesn't have enough time to get ready. Her biggest issue is that she is anorexic and knows she needs to eat in order to have enough energy to train. What would be a good place for her to start...

Neither ofus are newbies, but we've been away for about a year or so...both did a small sprint in may, but that's it.

Thanks,
Kevin

2012-11-02 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4479848

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
Subject: RE: Couple HIM training questions
Friendly bump....

2012-11-02 6:11 PM

User image

New user
KY
Well, after having just raced Augusta as my first 70.3 I can highly recommend it as a great "first race back."  It is a forgiving course, and my husband and I both had success with 3 runs, 3 bikes and 2-3 swims per week over about 4 months.  The runs included a long run, tempo run and track workout.  The bikes included lots of rides over gently rolling hills (similar to the Augusta course).  If you do ever find yourself in a position where you have to cut back on one of the disciplines, pick the swim.  It is a downstream, easy swim that is perfect for those of us who do not excel in that department.  
2012-11-03 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I recommend your wife see a nutritionist and/or counselor who specializes in working with athletes and eating issues. Have never suffered from an eating disorder myself (love to eat too much!) but have watched it wreak havoc with the health and happiness of many friends and teammates. HIM training is really demanding on your body with all the workouts in different sports and she will be leaving herself vulnerable to lots of illnesses and injuries if underfueled. I struggle sometimes to fuel myself adequately when training--naturally thin with a high metabolism, and live in a country where the local food isn't very calorie-dense and it can be difficult and expensive to get healthy western staples like whole grains, nuts, etc. Can imagine it would be even harder with an eating disorder. She needs professional help/advice before putting her body through that much stress. Best of luck!
2012-11-03 8:19 AM

Veteran
Is she a practicing anorexic or is she in recovery with a strong lack of relapse? If she is practicing, she should be focusing on getting healthy. If she is in recovery with a strong track record, she should talk to her sponsor or counselor about the idea. The nutritional aspect is important however the danger of swapping addictions to exercise addiction would be a large risk in im training. They could give her perspective and hold her accountable.
2012-11-03 8:22 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

My .02 worth.  Bike, just get back on and ride and then look into BT plans for HIM's.  Swim, maybe get a lesson or two from an instructor to help get your form back then join masters swim course and/or follow one of the programs from BT.  I like the training plans in The Time-crunched Triathlete (Carmichael and Rutberg) but its mainly aimed at sprints and Olys but there is a HIM plan to get you to the finish line.

As for your wife, I second seeing a nutrionist.  I don't think you want to mess around with this.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couple HIM training questions Rss Feed