General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flo wheels remind me of Apple Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-02 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Flo wheels remind me of Apple
I have a lot of Apple products. They are supposed to be awesome and, to a certain extent, are. Except when you go to the store for help and find hundreds of other people who also need help because their awesome product is defective somehow. I chuckled when I came on here and found 3 or 4 threads on the very first page with various questions about Flo wheels. It made me think of Apple. Months of threads about "yes, they are coming and will be awesome but WHEN" and now that people have them, tons of questions. Just thought it was funny. 

2012-11-02 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4480816

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Flo wheels remind me of Apple

1.  apple products always garnered a premium price over their competitors.  FLO is just the opposite.

2.  yeah- lot's of questions and lots of participation from the FLO guys in answering them.  I've read a lot of the comments here and over on slowtwitch- the FLO wheels are getting nothing but outstanding reviews.  People seem to love them.  the only 'problem' is "when is my shipment coming?"

they appear to be an excellent wheel.  Performance likely on par with Zipp/Hed.   A little heavier as they are not full carbon but an aluminum wheel with a carbon fairing, but way way way cheaper. 

not getting the apple comparison at all. 

2012-11-02 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4481029

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
morey000 - 2012-11-02 3:23 PM

1.  apple products always garnered a premium price over their competitors.  FLO is just the opposite.

2.  yeah- lot's of questions and lots of participation from the FLO guys in answering them.  I've read a lot of the comments here and over on slowtwitch- the FLO wheels are getting nothing but outstanding reviews.  People seem to love them.  the only 'problem' is "when is my shipment coming?"

they appear to be an excellent wheel.  Performance likely on par with Zipp/Hed.   A little heavier as they are not full carbon but an aluminum wheel with a carbon fairing, but way way way cheaper. 

x2  Not remotely close to an Apple product.

2012-11-02 2:46 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

louiskie - 2012-11-02 2:16 PM I have a lot of Apple products. They are supposed to be awesome and, to a certain extent, are. Except when you go to the store for help and find hundreds of other people who also need help because their awesome product is defective somehow. I chuckled when I came on here and found 3 or 4 threads on the very first page with various questions about Flo wheels. It made me think of Apple. Months of threads about "yes, they are coming and will be awesome but WHEN" and now that people have them, tons of questions. Just thought it was funny. 

I agree, but you have to go back to the days when Apple did their own engineering, were reliable, and far more inexpensive than any comparably performing competition.... oh, wait.  Those days never existed.

Other than that, I totally agree. Just like Apple; except FLO's are not gloss white.

2012-11-02 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4481029

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wasn't talking about price at all. It was more that Apple has a certain brand (it just works, is cool, sleek etc). But then the store is filled with people trying to get their awesome "it just works" products to actually work. So somehow they maintain this aura of not having any issues when they actually do have issues. To me, if something truly works there should be no issues. Anyway, with Flo, my point was just that there has been years of buzz around when they will be delivered, whether they will stand up to the promise, etc. And now they are here and there is still all this buzz, but it has just shifted to other questions. And there are loads of questions. You may not see the similarities but I do. Shouldn't this be dead simple? I ordered my wheels and got them. I put them on my bike and rode them? Not trying to have a discussion as to whether Flo wheels are good. Or whether Apple is good. Just that they have been very effective in getting a certain brand across. I have deep dish carbon wheels that are waaaay cheaper than Zipps and cheaper than Flo wheels. I haven't had any issues. No questions. Just put them on the bike and ride.

Edited by louiskie 2012-11-02 3:25 PM
2012-11-02 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4481092

User image

Extreme Veteran
RVachon - 2012-11-02 3:40 PM

Because so many people have objectively tested them side-by-side? Amazing how many people say this but they have no actual data! Its not in anyone's best interest to conduct the tests. And even if one manufacturer does the tests, do you believe the data? Maybe Flo has released data? Or maybe some BTers have ridden their ZIPPs and their FLOs in identical conditions using a crank-based powermeter to check speed at the same power output? And then duplicated that many times to get reliable data? I haven't seen it. Yet the perception remains. I have no issue with it...just think it is genious on their part. Just like Apple. I have to go fix my wifes Mac now. Oh wait, I can have a genious do it for me in the store. :-)

2012-11-02 3:32 PM

Veteran
Ontario
Defective? I thought it was just the rim tape that came with some of the wheels? But that's not the fault of Flo, it's the the company that produced the rim tape that screwed up.

2012-11-02 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4481185

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
louiskie - 2012-11-02 4:17 PM

Wasn't talking about price at all. It was more that Apple has a certain brand (it just works, is cool, sleek etc). But then the store is filled with people trying to get their awesome "it just works" products to actually work. So somehow they maintain this aura of not having any issues when they actually do have issues. To me, if something truly works there should be no issues. Anyway, with Flo, my point was just that there has been years of buzz around when they will be delivered, whether they will stand up to the promise, etc. And now they are here and there is still all this buzz, but it has just shifted to other questions. And there are loads of questions. You may not see the similarities but I do. Shouldn't this be dead simple? I ordered my wheels and got them. I put them on my bike and rode them? Not trying to have a discussion as to whether Flo wheels are good. Or whether Apple is good. Just that they have been very effective in getting a certain brand across. I have deep dish carbon wheels that are waaaay cheaper than Zipps and cheaper than Flo wheels. I haven't had any issues. No questions. Just put them on the bike and ride.

Just out of curiosity, what issues are people having with FLO's? From someone interested in purchasing a set I haven't seen any complaints other than shipping and lack of inventory (which I'd expect with a newer company) Once you have a set isn't it as easy as put them on and ride?

Also what carbons do you have that were cheaper than FLO's?

2012-11-02 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4481245

User image

Sensei
Sin City

After seeing tons of thread, I decided to look at their website.  I like...

BUT, I had a question (and emailed them).  Is there a weigh limit for them?  Clydesdale version?  I figure with Alu rims, they can hold up a little better to heavy riders.

I guess I will see what they say.

2012-11-02 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4481185

User image

The only threads I've seen are...

When will my wheels arrive?
What type of tires are best for my wheels?
Should I ride my FLO wheels for IMAZ?
What type of rim tape should I get?
What type of tire pressure should I run?

I don't see the comparison to Apple...

2012-11-02 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4481266

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kido - 2012-11-02 3:52 PM

BUT, I had a question (and emailed them).  Is there a weigh limit for them?  Clydesdale version?  I figure with Alu rims, they can hold up a little better to heavy riders.

For each wheel they have a standard and a Clydesdale version.  Also, they have a stainless bearing and a ceramic bearing option ($100 more, but also buys a charity bike for a kid).

2012-11-02 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4481266

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Kido - 2012-11-02 4:52 PM

The clyde wheels say 242lbs max rider weight. They've gotten back to me within hours on facebook

2012-11-02 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4481291

User image

Sensei
Sin City
rjrankin83 - 2012-11-02 2:06 PM
Kido - 2012-11-02 4:52 PM

The clyde wheels say 242lbs max rider weight. They've gotten back to me within hours on facebook

The owner is in the other BT thread at this very moment and answered.  Same with the disk option as well I suppose.

2012-11-02 6:18 PM
in reply to: #4481215

User image

Pro
louiskie - 2012-11-02 1:30 PM
RVachon - 2012-11-02 3:40 PM

Because so many people have objectively tested them side-by-side? Amazing how many people say this but they have no actual data! Its not in anyone's best interest to conduct the tests. And even if one manufacturer does the tests, do you believe the data? Maybe Flo has released data? Or maybe some BTers have ridden their ZIPPs and their FLOs in identical conditions using a crank-based powermeter to check speed at the same power output? And then duplicated that many times to get reliable data? I haven't seen it. Yet the perception remains. I have no issue with it...just think it is genious on their part. Just like Apple. I have to go fix my wifes Mac now. Oh wait, I can have a genious do it for me in the store. :-)

Given the CFD that went into them, the similarity in profile with the Hed JetC2s and Zip4040/808FCs, the testing that they did...close enough.

I've never touched one myself, but I read a lot.  Everyone who got them seems to really love'm.  I don't have a horse in this race, nor can I point to an independent comparative aero test, but the flo guys have done their own and show it on their web site.  If I've learned anything- is that doing these tests is very sensitive to very small changes.  A different tire could easily work much better with one wheel than another, reversing which one is the 'faster' wheel.  My educated guess is that the difference in price is far greater than the difference in performance.

2012-11-02 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4481245

User image

Extreme Veteran
rjrankin83 - 2012-11-02 4:40 PM
louiskie - 2012-11-02 4:17 PM

Just out of curiosity, what issues are people having with FLO's? From someone interested in purchasing a set I haven't seen any complaints other than shipping and lack of inventory (which I'd expect with a newer company) Once you have a set isn't it as easy as put them on and ride?

Also what carbons do you have that were cheaper than FLO's?

I have Planet X's which are cheaper than Flo's (but someone will point out the advantages of Flo's, but thats not the point here). I sorta followed the "when will FLOs be ready" threads for months and months and months. Lots of people were very interested, and I have no issue at all with that. But the amount of excitement that was out there for a product that wasnt being shipped sounds a lot like an iPhone. Then I popped onto the main forum and saw a lot of Flo-related Q&A threads (not issues, just questions) which made me think of Apple and how much excitement and talk they generate. Very similar here. And that is fine- people like to talk about their new toys.

2012-11-02 9:35 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Yeah, I see the comparision

Apple has actual retail stores with trianed genious where you can just walk in and GET YOUR PROBLEM FIXED! On the spot! No talking to foreign customer service. No scouring online forums for answers. They provide an actual place staffed with knowledgble people.

Flo ... has a virtual online space where the owners/designers/builders/customer service people actually look out for you rquestions so you can GET YOUR PROBLEM FIXED!!!

if you think this is somehow a defect in apple's products or customer service or that it indicates that apples products lack that "it just works polish, then you'd probably find it eye opening to purchase a non-apple product and try to just walk into a store to get it fixed because it's staffed with experts. Geek Squad doesn't count. They charge an arm an a leg for high school kids to run software suites that you can buy yourself.

Anyway, yeah, FLO...awesome customer service. APPLE... awesome customer service. When the cust service is awesome, more people will use it. When it's non-existent you won't find people in a store looking for it.

2012-11-02 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4481504

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
louiskie - 2012-11-02 5:36 PM
But the amount of excitement that was out there for a product that wasnt being shipped sounds a lot like an iPhone.....

It sounds like great marketing to me. All small businesses & startups should learn from Apple AND Flo...they are doing things right to get sales. And as long as it's a quality product and they overdeliver on customer service...two top notch brands.
2012-11-02 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4481664

User image

Extreme Veteran

AdventureBear - 2012-11-02 10:37 PM
louiskie - 2012-11-02 5:36 PM But the amount of excitement that was out there for a product that wasnt being shipped sounds a lot like an iPhone.....
It sounds like great marketing to me. All small businesses & startups should learn from Apple AND Flo...they are doing things right to get sales. And as long as it's a quality product and they overdeliver on customer service...two top notch brands.

Yes, exactly. I was not knocking Flo. Just commenting that they remind me of Apple...who owns most of the country now and are marketing geniouses. People dont mind that there are some issues with Apple products. They're just happy to have em (me included). Same with Flo. They generated and maintained interest for ages...long before their product was available. I'm not saying thats bad. It is very clever.

2012-11-02 9:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
I own Apple products and FLO products, the difference is that Steve Jobs and Phil Wozniak don't answer my my questions or fix my problems. No products are flawless, so all we have to fall back on is hopefully good customer service...
2012-11-04 7:47 AM

User image

louiskie - 2012-11-02 1:16 PM I chuckled when I came on here and found 3 or 4 threads on the very first page with various questions about Flo wheels.

Most all these questions for FLO wheels is due to the fact that a much higher percentage of people purchasing FLO's are buying their first set of aero wheels.

Most questions are basic for any wheel (what tires, what tubes, what valve extenders, what's a RVC, how do you put on a cassette, why do they sound like that, when should I ride them, how much, how often).  All these questions have nothing to do with FLO, but are just due to newbs putting on new wheels.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have a set of FLO 60/90's and they are freaking awesome!  But I'm just like everyone else in that this is my first set of aero wheels so I don't have anything to compare them to.  So take my endorsement for what it is.  

2012-11-04 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4481670

User image

louiskie - 2012-11-02 7:45 PM

louiskie - 2012-11-02 5:36 PM But the amount of excitement that was out there for a product that wasnt being shipped sounds a lot like an iPhone.....

Yes, exactly. I was not knocking Flo. Just commenting that they remind me of Apple...who owns most of the country now and are marketing geniouses. People dont mind that there are some issues with Apple products. They're just happy to have em (me included). Same with Flo. They generated and maintained interest for ages...long before their product was available. I'm not saying thats bad. It is very clever.

I would have to say that the tone of your post here sounds about 180 degrees from you OP.

In what Apple store did you literally see several hundred people with defective problems to be solved?

2012-11-04 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4482671

User image

Extreme Veteran
crusevegas - 2012-11-04 11:27 AM

I would have to say that the tone of your post here sounds about 180 degrees from you OP.

In what Apple store did you literally see several hundred people with defective problems to be solved?

I said literally several hundred people? I guess I did but have you never heard of a figure of speech?? Anyway, it is Southpoint on Durham, nc. It has always been very cowded when I am there. Very crowded. The wait at the genius bar is usually very long. My wifes brand new mac had an issue that they took weeks to try sort out which is how I got so familiar with it. It just struck me odd/genious how well apple has created it's brand that despite issues, people wait in line to get the products (seek galaxy s3 commercial). Flo had the same thing going for months and months while people waited for their products. My op was not really clear in expressing that but the excitement around something that did not exist was remarkable. Very clever if intentional and lucky if not.

Edited by louiskie 2012-11-04 12:58 PM
2012-11-04 1:30 PM

User image

Pro
Laughing

Don't mess with the FLO mafia!!!  LMAO

Everything I have seen from FLO has been above board and top-notch.  I'll be in the market for some race wheels for another kid's bike very soon....FLO is certainly one of a small group of wheels I want to consider.
2012-11-04 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4482800

User image

louiskie - 2012-11-04 10:56 AM
crusevegas - 2012-11-04 11:27 AM

I said literally several hundred people? I guess I did but have you never heard of a figure of speech?? Anyway, it is Southpoint on Durham, nc. It has always been very cowded when I am there. Very crowded. The wait at the genius bar is usually very long. My wifes brand new mac had an issue that they took weeks to try sort out which is how I got so familiar with it. It just struck me odd/genious how well apple has created it's brand that despite issues, people wait in line to get the products (seek galaxy s3 commercial). Flo had the same thing going for months and months while people waited for their products. My op was not really clear in expressing that but the excitement around something that did not exist was remarkable. Very clever if intentional and lucky if not.

As a matter of fact I have heard of a figure of speech.   I just thought it was odd how the tone of the two posts seem to differ.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flo wheels remind me of Apple Rss Feed