General Discussion Race Reports! » Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Conroe, Texas
United States
Outloud! Productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 50m 48s
Overall Rank = 163/523
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 22/60
Pre-race routine:

No special prep. Packed my bag, threw the bike in the trunk of the car, and headed to Conroe. I did have a cup of coffee and a cliff bar on the way.
Event warmup:

Got in the water for about 2-minutes before the swim start. No other warm-up.
Swim
  • 45m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

A normal lousy swim for me. Actually, I felt nice and relaxed the whole way, and, since I have not done any swim training in many months, I thought it was a pretty good effort. The lake is fairly clear, but it does generate some swells on the back part of the swim course.
What would you do differently?:

A little training should knock at leasat 5 and maybe 10-minutes off this swim time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Decent transition for me. No major issues.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a good bike for about 3/4 of the race....then....psssssst. I ended up flatting a couple miles after the bridge on Johnson Rd. This was my first flat ever in a race. I'm not sure how long it took me to change it, but I wasn't particularly fast. Guessing I lost 5 to 10 minutes....plus.....mentally....it kind of leaves you feeling a little checked-out.

I think I messed up pumping up my tires. I aired them up in the garage before leaving the house on race morning, and I was expecting it to be a cold ride. To compensate for the temps, I took them both up to around 120. Well, it was much warmer than I was expecting so both tires were probably overinflated. I know my bike was a lot more bouncy than normal. I hadn't gone through my spare kit in a number of months. Luckilly, everything I needed was in there and I didn't have any change-out issues.

Saw lots of race marshals out doing their thing on this ride. Overall, it was a very clean race. I didn't notice any pace lines or big packs, and most of the racers did an excellent job of staying over to the left.

Weather on the bike was just about perfect. Nice temps and almost no wind.

I have not really been wearing my HRM much this year since IM-TX, but dug it out and wore it on the bike leg. I'm a numbers kind of person, and having a target range to maintain helps me keep pace. Maybe not as good as a power meter, but it does work better than just RPE for me.
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention to the weather. My stupid mistake airing up the tires may or may not have been the cause of my flat, but it didn't do me any good.

Also, I had decided a week before the race to leave my helmet vents taped over and to wear toe covers. I took off the toe covers and left them in T1, but I would have been more comfortable with the helmet vents open.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Fairly smooth transition.
Run
  • 2h 08m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

The flat on the bike took most of the race right out of me, so I just turned this into a nice training run. Maintained a decent pace for the first 3-mile, then took a gel that left me with some stomach cramps. Ended up walking for 3 or 4 minutes right before the end of the first loop and the cramp went away. Was able to run everything after that, but did walk through the aid stations. It turned into a warmer day that I was expecting. It wasn't too bad, but it was hot enough to make it kind of uncomfortable.
Post race
Warm down:

Went over and sat in the resort pool for 15-minutes or so. NICE!

Event comments:

Great race.

This is a small, local HIM. It doesn't have near the number of people that an IM-branded race has, and the late season and competeing races work together to limit participation. I've done this race twice now, and done the Longhorn race in Austin twice. Between the two, this is a much better race, as long as you are okay with the smaller nature of the event. Great way to end the tri season.

Last updated: 2012-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:29 | 2112 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/60
Overall: 336/523
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: Kind of a rectangle, but starting in the resort harbor and swimming out to the lake through a canal. Start waves are reasonably sized.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:59 | 56 miles | 19.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/60
Overall: 156/523
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Winding loop course to Richards via 149 and back on 1486. First part of the ride is sheltered and shaded. Last part is exposed and usually has a headwind. The course has rollers, but no real climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:08:23 | 13.1 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/60
Overall: 171/523
Performance: Average
Course: Three loop course that winds through the resort and local neighborhood. Layout is like a figure-8, with transition in the middle. One very slight incline on the course, but overall it's very flat with little shade.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-11-06 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed