General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GMR tips and info needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-07 12:43 PM

User image

Subject: GMR tips and info needed

Want to do a SG mtn ride.   What's the info on GMR?  BEtter to ascend GMR over 39?   Better to descend one or the other?   Thought was Encanto Park to GMR, to Glendora Ridge Road to Baldy - maybe climb Baldy, return GRR to GMR, then what?   Back down GMR?   or backside GMR to East Fork to descend 39?

All thoughts, tips. water stops etc appreciated.

2012-11-08 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4488198

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Subject: RE: GMR tips and info needed
ChrisM - 2012-11-07 10:43 AM

Want to do a SG mtn ride.   What's the info on GMR?  BEtter to ascend GMR over 39?   Better to descend one or the other?   Thought was Encanto Park to GMR, to Glendora Ridge Road to Baldy - maybe climb Baldy, return GRR to GMR, then what?   Back down GMR?   or backside GMR to East Fork to descend 39?

All thoughts, tips. water stops etc appreciated.

Check out this link- I rode this route with George a few times and it's a challenging/ enjoyable ride

http://www.epictrain.com/Mt_Baldy.html

2012-11-08 9:39 PM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA

We usually start at Encanto and do the backside as it's a little easier to take the rollers first and then have the long descent after. The only water stop I know of is at the cafe on the way up unless you're going to head up to Baldy as well and then there is one up top there too.

Here's the only Baldy ride I've done. 

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/110404517

2012-11-09 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Tip #1: Don't do GMR when it's snowing. 

I've always just gone up GMR from the Glendora side and typically taken the ridge road to Baldy Village, then down Mt. Baldy road towards Upland/Claremont.  But that just works well for me because of where I live.  I've heard it's a reasonably challenging ride to get to Baldy Village along the ridge road and then turn around and take the ridge road back to Glendora since the ridge road is kind of up and down the whole way.  You could go up Mt. Baldy towards the ski slopes when you hit Baldy Village, and that would be a really good amount of climbing.  Nothing wrong with planning on that and just turning back if you felt like you'd had enough.  Fill water bottles in Baldy Village on your left after making the turn from the ridge road onto Mt. Baldy road -- there's a drinking fountain next to the PO & fire station (I think) and another by the visitor center a bit further up the road.  The descent from the mountain above Baldy Village goes very fast.  Make sure you have layers so that you can dress for a quick descent in cooler temps, esp. if you've done some sweating on the way up.  Couldn't tell you about taking 39, lots of people take that route but I never have.

2012-11-09 12:55 PM

User image

Thanks all.  We were going to go this weekend but I don't want to freeze my a$$ off just yet, so we're postponing.  But really looking forward to experiencing some new terrain
2012-11-09 10:52 PM

User image

Los Angeles
I have done both GMR to Baldy Village (Last year, exactly one week after you smoked me in Oceanside) and the back side 39 to Baldy from Encanto Park.  To me, they are both the same.  Lots of climbing.  I think the Ecanto/ GMR to Baldy is harder.  Like SevenZulu stated, you can definitely water up at Baldy Village.  There you can ride back or continue up to the lifts.  As much as there is climbing, it is not bad and I gained a ton of confidence.  Even for my fat butt!!!   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GMR tips and info needed Rss Feed