Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-11-09 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4491590

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Colorado - Legal Marajuna

OHHH.  Colfax!  I don't got down Colfax unless I'm going to Pete's Kitchen...  I used to live on Capital Hill and when I visit, it's mostly downtown/16th street.  They probably keep those areas pretty clear.  But Colfax makes sense.

I had a friend who had is card and offered to get me some.  But of COURSE I would never do such a thing...

2012-11-09 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4490771

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

My question is will the Federal Government now follow suit and start to let up on MJ.  Lets face it MJ is a cash cow. This country needs cash. Time to milk the cow?  I supose the bigger question is legal MJ on a national level a bigger cash cow to the entire country versus illegal MJ to law enforcement, specifically  the DEA.  

Could legal MJ be a stimulus meal ticket that helps the economy out of the hole and taxes collected from the sale of MJ be used to fund programs (Blues)  or pay off debt(Reds).  I recall seeing a single California dispensary paying several million a year in taxes and fees to the state of California. 

OR is this country still way to uptight to even considering legalizing MJ on a National scale.

2012-11-09 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4491590

User image

Elite
freckle face - 2012-11-09 9:21 AM

Regarding the money that will result from this and how it will be used: there is a provision in the amendment that directs money towards public schools. Basically, the first $40 million of taxes raised frmo the sale of growers to distributers will go to public schools.  Schwing.

(d) THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY SHALL ENACT AN EXCISE TAX TO BE LEVIED UPON MARIJUANA SOLD OR OTHERWISE TRANSFERRED BY A MARIJUANA CULTIVATION FACILITY TO A MARIJUANA PRODUCT MANUFACTURING FACILITY OR TO A RETAIL MARIJUANA STORE AT A RATE NOT TO EXCEED FIFTEEN PERCENT PRIOR TO JANUARY 1, 2017 AND AT A RATE TO BE DETERMINED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY THEREAFTER, AND SHALL DIRECT THE DEPARTMENT TO ESTABLISH PROCEDURES FOR THE COLLECTION OF ALL TAXES LEVIED. PROVIDED, THE FIRST FORTY MILLION DOLLARS IN REVENUE RAISED ANNUALLY FROM ANY SUCH EXCISE TAX SHALL BE CREDITED TO THE PUBLIC SCHOOL CAPITAL CONSTRUCTION ASSISTANCE FUND CREATED BY ARTICLE 43.7 OF TITLE 22, C.R.S., OR ANY SUCCESSOR FUND DEDICATED TO A SIMILAR PURPOSE. PROVIDED FURTHER, NO SUCH EXCISE TAX SHALL BE LEVIED UPON MARIJUANA INTENDED FOR SALE AT MEDICAL MARIJUANA CENTERS PURSUANT TO SECTION 14 OF THIS ARTICLE AND THE COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA CODE.

No, unshwing.... because all the legislature will do now is cut education funding $40 million and use it where ever they want.

That shell game has been going the very first time someone proposed to get something by giving somewhere else. I can garantee you spending on education will not increase by $40 million.

2012-11-09 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4491580

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Left Brain - 2012-11-09 9:18 AM
rayd - 2012-11-09 10:02 AM
Left Brain - 2012-11-09 8:46 AM
Bigfuzzydoug - 2012-11-09 9:37 AM

The driver behind legalizing weed is simple...

The jails are full, the court system is clogged up & backlogged, and the cops over-worked.  Too much time being spent on prosecuting and incarcerating minor offenders for personal use.  We've created an incarceration industry in this country where there's incentive to simply round up and put people in jail.  Real monetary incentive.

Whether you legalize it for small amounts for personal consumption or simply make it a misdemeanor with a minor fine.  The goal is to spend the time and energy in the police/legal/court/jail system on violent offenders and not be bothered with someone firing up a single blunt (if they're not driving anywhere).

I would rather have jails filled with violent criminals than have just one of them early parolled because they had to make room for a non-dealing, low-level, personal use stoner whose only true offense is buying up all the Cheetohs in the Quick-E-Mart.

No, that's just wrong.  The police/legal/court/jail systems will fight to the end to keep it illegal...it's a HUGE cash cow.  Most people have no idea how much money is seized by the govt. (read police departments) with regard to marijuana sales.  Nobody cares about the weed......it's the money!

Also, it's a myth that there are personal use marijuana users clogging the jail/prison systems in this country.  That doesn't happen. 

I would agree with the LB. However, I would much rather see the money/taxes from legalized weed put to work rather than the police/courts get the dope money. Besides, I'm pretty sure some of this stuff they bust people for finds its way back in the distribution network.

The problem is, once it truly becomes legal (I think it should), the money will dry up pretty quick. The bottom will fall out of the market because it's easy to produce.  The tax windfall that everyone likes to point to won't happen because they use monetary values of today's market.  That $300.00 - $400.00 oz. of weed (yeah, you read that right if you have been out of the game for awhile) will be worth a small fraction of that price once it's legal.

As for drugs finding their way back into the system......it's very rare.  It happens, but not often.....now if you want to talk about money being taken and not ran through the proper channels....that's another deal.

You make a great point. I heard you can have up to one ounce or 6 plants. Now I don't know how hard it is to grow and cure MJ, but if it isn't rocket science I imagine there will be plenty of supply to meet any demand. If I was a weekend toker I would rather grow my own than pay high prices, so either people will grow their own or the price will drop a decent amount I would bet.

Unless they change it to more of a state liquor dispensary type system where you can't grow it and you can only buy it from the state. Otherwise I don't see a huge tax benefit as you say. 

2012-11-09 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4491708

User image

Elite
otisbrown - 2012-11-09 10:09 AM

My question is will the Federal Government now follow suit and start to let up on MJ.  Lets face it MJ is a cash cow. This country needs cash. Time to milk the cow?  I supose the bigger question is legal MJ on a national level a bigger cash cow to the entire country versus illegal MJ to law enforcement, specifically  the DEA.  

Could legal MJ be a stimulus meal ticket that helps the economy out of the hole and taxes collected from the sale of MJ be used to fund programs (Blues)  or pay off debt(Reds).  I recall seeing a single California dispensary paying several million a year in taxes and fees to the state of California. 

OR is this country still way to uptight to even considering legalizing MJ on a National scale.

... and more complicity and promotion of the shell game. Go ahead and tax anyone you want for what ever reason you want just as long as it isn't me.

Why should MJ be taxed any more than shoe laces? As far as a product, it will be taxed on sales and illegal money becomes legal sales and enters the tax stream. But taxing MJ is not a cash cow and it should not be taxed any different than any other product for sale.

2012-11-09 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4491729

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
powerman - 2012-11-09 12:21 PM

... and more complicity and promotion of the shell game. Go ahead and tax anyone you want for what ever reason you want just as long as it isn't me.

Why should MJ be taxed any more than shoe laces? As far as a product, it will be taxed on sales and illegal money becomes legal sales and enters the tax stream. But taxing MJ is not a cash cow and it should not be taxed any different than any other product for sale.

we already have lots of classes of goods for sale that is taxed at different rates.  and depending on the states as well.  cigarettes and alcohol are taxed differently than orange juice.  in many states clothes and food have lower taxes than electronics, for example.  is that wrong as well?

2012-11-09 11:29 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
I can tell you from local experience that in our climate cannabis is extreme easy to grow, almost weed-like. In my mind, at least, the financial benefit to legalization is not on the revenue side but as an elimination of expenses for enforcement and incarceration of offenders. I believe there will also be a reduction in crime once this illegal source of cash flow to criminals is eliminated.

of course that probably means more would-be criminals on the government dole.

2012-11-09 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4491735

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
mehaner - 2012-11-09 12:23 PM

we already have lots of classes of goods for sale that is taxed at different rates.  and depending on the states as well.  cigarettes and alcohol are taxed differently than orange juice.  in many states clothes and food have lower taxes than electronics, for example.  is that wrong as well?

Yes.

Taxes should be about raising money to pay for government, not for social policy.

Edited by trinnas 2012-11-09 11:30 AM
2012-11-09 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4491471

User image

Elite
Utah
rayd - 2012-11-09 8:26 AM Yeah, I know they are out there but they don't stand out. I live south of Denver and I have never seen one in my area. Lots of discussion right now about who will sell the legalized weed. Seems logical that the dispenseries would continue selling...but there seems to be some disagreement there. Anyway, they are saying it will probably be 2015 before the details are hashed out and you can legally buy reefer in CO. Funny, more people in CO voted to legalize MJ than voted to reelect Obama.

I suppose the DTC would be considered more Central than North, but there is one on Yale b/t 25 and Cherry Creek right next to an Allstate Ins office.  I get to listen to my mother B$%^$ about it all the time.  She says it's amazing how many of these people walk in STONED and yet still walk out with more.

Isn't there a law similar to that for bartender's that makes it illegal to serve alcohol to someone drunk?
2012-11-09 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4491735

User image

Elite
mehaner - 2012-11-09 10:23 AM

Things should be taxed to pay for their cost. MJ should be taxed to pay for its regulation same as alcohol. what most talk about are Sin taxes and that MJ should just be taxed 1000% to pay for everyone's budget short falls. I do not agree with that, nor do I agree with sin taxes.

If you have a budget short fall, then cut spending, or raise taxes on everyone.

2012-11-09 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4491742

User image

Elite
the bear - 2012-11-09 10:29 AM I can tell you from local experience that in our climate cannabis is extreme easy to grow, almost weed-like. In my mind, at least, the financial benefit to legalization is not on the revenue side but as an elimination of expenses for enforcement and incarceration of offenders. I believe there will also be a reduction in crime once this illegal source of cash flow to criminals is eliminated.

It is a weed. It will grow anywhere. If pot heads can grow it, anyone can. It isn't rocket science.

2012-11-09 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4491580

Master
, California
Left Brain - 2012-11-09 8:18 AM

The jails are full, the court system is clogged up & backlogged, and the cops over-worked.  Too much time being spent on prosecuting and incarcerating minor offenders for personal use.  We've created an incarceration industry in this country where there's incentive to simply round up and put people in jail.  Real monetary incentive.

Whether you legalize it for small amounts for personal consumption or simply make it a misdemeanor with a minor fine.  The goal is to spend the time and energy in the police/legal/court/jail system on violent offenders and not be bothered with someone firing up a single blunt (if they're not driving anywhere).

I would rather have jails filled with violent criminals than have just one of them early parolled because they had to make room for a non-dealing, low-level, personal use stoner whose only true offense is buying up all the Cheetohs in the Quick-E-Mart.

No, that's just wrong.  The police/legal/court/jail systems will fight to the end to keep it illegal...it's a HUGE cash cow.  Most people have no idea how much money is seized by the govt. (read police departments) with regard to marijuana sales.  Nobody cares about the weed......it's the money!

Also, it's a myth that there are personal use marijuana users clogging the jail/prison systems in this country.  That doesn't happen. 

I would agree with the LB. However, I would much rather see the money/taxes from legalized weed put to work rather than the police/courts get the dope money. Besides, I'm pretty sure some of this stuff they bust people for finds its way back in the distribution network.

The problem is, once it truly becomes legal (I think it should), the money will dry up pretty quick. The bottom will fall out of the market because it's easy to produce.  The tax windfall that everyone likes to point to won't happen because they use monetary values of today's market.  That $300.00 - $400.00 oz. of weed (yeah, you read that right if you have been out of the game for awhile) will be worth a small fraction of that price once it's legal.

As for drugs finding their way back into the system......it's very rare.  It happens, but not often.....now if you want to talk about money being taken and not ran through the proper channels....that's another deal.

Interesting note on that.

WA state legalized possession of 1 oz for adults 21+ and use of it by the same.  But growing your own is still illegal.  The next part of our law that goes into effect next year will create state controlled stores which sell marijuana, similar to our previous liquor stores.

They very carefully crafted this new law to turn this into a legitimate source of revenue.

2012-11-09 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4491754

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
powerman - 2012-11-09 12:33 PM
the bear - 2012-11-09 10:29 AM I can tell you from local experience that in our climate cannabis is extreme easy to grow, almost weed-like. In my mind, at least, the financial benefit to legalization is not on the revenue side but as an elimination of expenses for enforcement and incarceration of offenders. I believe there will also be a reduction in crime once this illegal source of cash flow to criminals is eliminated.

It is a weed. It will grow anywhere. If pot heads can grow it, anyone can. It isn't rocket science.

It is not a weed it is the same type of plant as is used to make ropes.

I has in the past been used as a food source.  The seeds do not contain THC so they have been used as grains for bread and meal.

It has been around for a very very long time and used both medicinally and as food by a number of different cultures. It has been found in burial sites as old as 3k yo. So yeah it's hard to kill. 

2012-11-09 11:38 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Oops wrong thread

Edited by lisac957 2012-11-09 11:40 AM
2012-11-09 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4491763

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Edited by mehaner 2012-11-09 11:52 AM
2012-11-09 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4491742

User image

Pro
the bear - 2012-11-09 11:29 AM I can tell you from local experience that in our climate cannabis is extreme easy to grow, almost weed-like. In my mind, at least, the financial benefit to legalization is not on the revenue side but as an elimination of expenses for enforcement and incarceration of offenders. I believe there will also be a reduction in crime once this illegal source of cash flow to criminals is eliminated.

That is the best reason for legalization.  Our expenses for the "war on drugs" are easily paid for with the proceeds of the assets we sieze.  Federal Law mandates that the money siezed by law enforcement, from illegal drug operations, can ONLY be used by law enforcement agencies to pay OT, buy equipment, etc.  Years ago I worked undercover for a drug task force in a large metropolitan city......the money we siezed financed the entire flight operations division....including the purchase of 2 helicopters and one fixed wing aircraft. 

The drug business, and the "war on drugs", is about money on both sides of the law......and believe me when I tell you that neither side wants it legalized.  When that happens, the big money is gone.

2012-11-09 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4491758

User image

Pro
spudone - 2012-11-09 11:34 AM
Left Brain - 2012-11-09 8:18 AM

Interesting note on that.

WA state legalized possession of 1 oz for adults 21+ and use of it by the same.  But growing your own is still illegal.  The next part of our law that goes into effect next year will create state controlled stores which sell marijuana, similar to our previous liquor stores.

They very carefully crafted this new law to turn this into a legitimate source of revenue.

That's fine.....but once more states follow through the price HAS to drop, and drop substantially.  If the State store  props up the price for revenue purposes then you will still have a large illegal trade. 

The provision in your law to prohibit growing for personal use will fall......watch and see.

2012-11-09 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

A "weed" is any undesirable/unwanted plant in a given location. Beautiful bermuda grass may be desirable in a lawn, but in a rock garden its a weed.   

I knew my one class towards a range and wildlife management degree would come in useful some day ... albeit 20+ years after the fact 

I think the most interesting aspect will be the Feds reaction to this.

2012-11-09 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4491849

User image

Pro
glf33 - 2012-11-09 12:14 PM

A "weed" is any undesirable/unwanted plant in a given location. Beautiful bermuda grass may be desirable in a lawn, but in a rock garden its a weed.   

I knew my one class towards a range and wildlife management degree would come in useful some day ... albeit 20+ years after the fact 

That's right......that's all that matters here.  In California, they ignored the selling in the dispensories to start with, but went after the profits of the businesses.....they still do to a large degree, but much less so with Obama in office.  I think the Feds will leave it alone, as a sort of test case, to see where the "water" goes as far a revenue, profit, etc.  They will still want part of the money, but they may wait to see what the best avenue for that is.

Evgerything about this is, and always has been, money driven.

2012-11-09 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4491884

Master
, California
Left Brain - 2012-11-09 10:24 AM
glf33 - 2012-11-09 12:14 PM

That's right......that's all that matters here.  In California, they ignored the selling in the dispensories to start with, but went after the profits of the businesses.....they still do to a large degree, but much less so with Obama in office.  I think the Feds will leave it alone, as a sort of test case, to see where the "water" goes as far a revenue, profit, etc.  They will still want part of the money, but they may wait to see what the best avenue for that is.

Evgerything about this is, and always has been, money driven.

Of course now Washington state needs to come up with some tough immigration policy to prevent those sneaky Canadians from pouring over the border to get our legal weed.

2012-11-10 8:22 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Never had it, never used it, and don't care to know what I am supposed to be missing.

2012-11-10 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4492810

User image

Champion
1stTimeTri - 2012-11-10 7:22 AM

Never had it, never used it, and don't care to know what I am supposed to be missing.

Glad we got that out of the way.
2012-11-10 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4491754

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
powerman - 2012-11-09 11:33 AM

That's only true to a degree. Yeah sure, anyone can throw some seeds into a pot or a field and grow a plant. But if you want The Kill, that ain't gonna cut it. To do it right, there is some science involved. Things like hydroponics, lighting, the right fertilizers, culling the male plants, pruning, harvest timing, etc. Or so I've heard

I liken it to home brewing. Sure, I could brew my own beer, but why bother?

Edited by zed707 2012-11-10 11:19 AM
2012-11-10 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4492830

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

newbz - 2012-11-10 8:48 AM
1stTimeTri - 2012-11-10 7:22 AM Never had it, never used it, and don't care to know what I am supposed to be missing.
Glad we got that out of the way.

You're welcome.

2012-11-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4492899

User image

Elite
zed707 - 2012-11-10 9:55 AM
powerman - 2012-11-09 11:33 AM

That's only true to a degree. Yeah sure, anyone can throw some seeds into a pot or a field and grow a plant. But if you want The Kill, that ain't gonna cut it. To do it right, there is some science involved. Things like hydroponics, lighting, the right fertilizers, culling the male plants, pruning, harvest timing, etc. Or so I've heard

I liken it to home brewing. Sure, I could brew my own beer, but why bother?

No... the seed is 80% of what you get. The other 20% is up to you. It isn't some mystical voo doo rocket science. It is a simple, hardy, pest resistant plant that can grow in just about any environment. And that is straight from Rosenthal. Stoner mythology isn't reality.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Colorado - Legal Marajuna Rss Feed  

of 3