Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-11-12 6:32 AM
in reply to: #4492826

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Chinese Carbon
A few thoughts... first, just because something is made in the same factory as a major wheel brand doesn't mean that it's the same thing... many times, the molds will be different (or even at time, re-use of worn molds), the carbon layup will be different, the polymer (most of the time epoxy) will be different, but even with all the that, the quality control is just not the same. You can't afford to scrap too many parts when you sell something for 100% cost+, but you can afford a higher degree of scrap if you sell it for 200% cost+.

Second, once you have bought it, if something goes wrong, whom are you going to contact? Even if it's something as simple as a spare part...

2012-11-12 6:41 AM
in reply to: #4493082

User image

Pro

RVachon - 2012-11-10 3:29 PM So what's the difference if you have a 5 year warranty if I can buy 4-5 sets of Chinese wheel sets for your 1?

Quality control and the risk of catastrophic failure, as was previously mentioned.

Williams or Boyd wheels are a good compromise if you're looking to save money yet have a warranty and service. I've got a set of Boyd carbon wheels that I'd recommend to anyone. He doesn't put money into design like Zipp or Enve, but he does have superb service and guarantees his work.

2012-11-12 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4494481

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-11-12 6:41 AM

Williams or Boyd wheels are a good compromise if you're looking to save money yet have a warranty and service. I've got a set of Boyd carbon wheels that I'd recommend to anyone. He doesn't put money into design like Zipp or Enve, but he does have superb service and guarantees his work.

+1

I could not afford Zipps even used it seemed.  Didn't want the cheap Ebay wheels because you never know where they came from.  Bought a set of Boyd 58s, couldn't be happier and I have a warranty and a crash replacement option if "I" crash and damage the wheel.  Seems like a good marriage between "too high prices" and "too scary cheap".

Not to hijack the thread, but this whole marketing machine super high priced stuff isn't to pay for research.  It's to pay for profit, salaries, insurances, etc as they skyrocket.  Here's to a strong job market and economy.Smile

2012-11-12 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4494505

User image

Pro
TriFlorida - 2012-11-12 8:13 AM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-11-12 6:41 AM

+1

I could not afford Zipps even used it seemed.  Didn't want the cheap Ebay wheels because you never know where they came from.  Bought a set of Boyd 58s, couldn't be happier and I have a warranty and a crash replacement option if "I" crash and damage the wheel.  Seems like a good marriage between "too high prices" and "too scary cheap".

Not to hijack the thread, but this whole marketing machine super high priced stuff isn't to pay for research.  It's to pay for profit, salaries, insurances, etc as they skyrocket.  Here's to a strong job market and economy.Smile

Party true. Research IS expensive. So are obtaining and defending patents. Something that Chinese companies do not have a good track record of honoring.

2012-11-12 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4493052

User image

Regular

PeteDin206 - 2012-11-10 2:59 PM
JBD - 2012-11-10 11:30 AM Most all wheels are outsourced to Taiwanese companies (as are carbon bikes) and their manufacturing facilities are in China. The name you buy is the guarantee on the product more than the product itself. Not sure where envy wheels are made but i bet outsourced to a taiwanese company.
Wrong... ENVE wheels are American built in Utah. They go through extensive testing and are known for making a superior product. Zipp has also done extensive R&D in their composites that most Chinese products are not. Sure they look the same and 8-9 out of 10 are going to be perfect, but in my last HIM the 1 mile decent (45+mph speeds) with a big curve at the bottom is the last place I want a wheel to have an issue. I'll agree that Zipp is a marketing machine, much like Apple, but they do put extensive research into their products also. I went ENVE because from everything I've read they are bomb proof and stand behind their product (again a 5 year warranty). Show me a Chinese manufacturer that has a 5 year warranty and I'll show you a company that will change their name in 18-24 months negating the whole thing. I've done business in China and know how it works. ENVE: http://www.enve.com/technology.aspx[/QUOTE]

While these may be made in America, be assured that a Chinese company has bought them and is reverse engineering them so they can make an inexpensive knock off.  No Chinese company will give you a 5 year warranty or a company to call if there is a problem, but there are trade offs to everything. 

2012-11-12 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4494412

User image

Regular

PeteDin206 - 2012-11-12 3:09 AM Again the problem with these Chinese wheel makers is nothing that protects me, the rider. Not to say aren't capable of making a fast rim or that they may have a dramatic failure. The problem becomes a massive issue if that minor failure takes place in the wrong moments. I've seen and read of a few major failures of wheels on months on non critical times for that lead to blowouts or structural issues. If these failures happened on long technical descents, your dental plan will be the last of your concerns. For my own peace of mind I grabbed a set of the ENVE ses 6.7 because it put comfort in the fact that are know for building awesome wheels that they stand behind. Next on the list is a new tribike to go with them. I'll likely try and snag a clear out 2013 DA2 or a first sale 2014 da3 depending on pricing and build and color. Then I'll be glad I have a sick bike that inspires me to push myself higher. I'm also looking as the shiv and BMCtt01 if either fit me.

You are assuming that because the wheels have good R&D and its an American company that the wheels are bullet proof.  All manufactured items can have defects that lead to blowouts, etc.  My line of work is manufacturing of medical devices here in the US and abroad.  Trust me, no matter how strong your processes and procedures are, you will have defects, and some will reach the market place.  Is it more likely with foreign made goods? Possibly, but defects are defects.

2012-11-12 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4493052

User image

Master

PeteDin206 - 2012-11-10 1:59 PM
JBD - 2012-11-10 11:30 AM Most all wheels are outsourced to Taiwanese companies (as are carbon bikes) and their manufacturing facilities are in China. The name you buy is the guarantee on the product more than the product itself. Not sure where envy wheels are made but i bet outsourced to a taiwanese company.
Wrong... ENVE wheels are American built in Utah. They go through extensive testing and are known for making a superior product. Zipp has also done extensive R&D in their composites that most Chinese products are not. Sure they look the same and 8-9 out of 10 are going to be perfect, but in my last HIM the 1 mile decent (45+mph speeds) with a big curve at the bottom is the last place I want a wheel to have an issue. I'll agree that Zipp is a marketing machine, much like Apple, but they do put extensive research into their products also. I went ENVE because from everything I've read they are bomb proof and stand behind their product (again a 5 year warranty). Show me a Chinese manufacturer that has a 5 year warranty and I'll show you a company that will change their name in 18-24 months negating the whole thing. I've done business in China and know how it works. ENVE: http://www.enve.com/technology.aspx

Theystand behind the warranty on their rim to an extent. Email them and ask them if you are in a race and something goes wrong and say spoke breaks or a bearing blows out on the hub causing you to crash with damage to the rim if they will replace the rim? I have first hand experience with  that and know the answer.

2012-11-12 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4494439

User image

Extreme Veteran
RVachon - 2012-11-12 3:44 AM

Of course, you're assuming that your overpriced branded wheels will never have such a failure.  Just because it's branded doesn't mean it's built any better.

I'm much more confident in a manufacturer that is known for building super strong wheels, best in industry warranty (5 years), and superior aerodynamics (ie ENVE) Did I pay more, yes... But to call my overpriced is a bit presumptuous as I take safety very seriously considering I've got a 16 month old that I want to see grow and hopefully compete in triathlons one day herself.

PS they are also made in the US, so I'm supporting our economy "locally".

Edited by PeteDin206 2012-11-12 8:22 AM
2012-11-12 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4494522

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-11-12 7:27 AM

Party true. Research IS expensive. So are obtaining and defending patents. Something that Chinese companies do not have a good track record of honoring.

I agree that initial capital outlay is expensive. That money is made back and then on you go.  I also think brand exclusivity plays a major role here. I look at Lacoste as a case model.  The brand was the iconic prep symbol in the 70s when it was Izod-Lacoste. Died after they cheapened the brand and sold their products everywhere at discounts.  They've now become popular again as high end product where a $1.00 or less (cost) t-shirt runs you $40.00.  They choose to keep the prices high because of the mindset that you get what you pay for--and to a certain extent, this is true.  It's also because you have something (you can afford) that others cannot. Brands such as Under Armour and The North Face do the same sort of thing which is why store coupons often don't apply to them because they don't want the brand cheapened.  Luckily there are those that can bridge the gap between high end and garbage.

Edited by TriFlorida 2012-11-12 8:20 AM
2012-11-12 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4494604

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-11-12 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4494614

Master

Just google one of the following wheel sets

Reynolds, Easton, American Classic, FFWD, Boyd, Williams, Planet X, 2Quik, Hawk Racing, Soul, Gigantex.

Also Try all of the above on eBay or simply just search with "Carbon Clincher"

2012-11-12 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4494614

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC

FoggyGoggles - 2012-11-12 9:24 AM How does one find these Chinese / Taiwanese carbon products? I'd be interested in seeing this myself.

Do an e-bay search for "carbon fiber bicycle wheels."  Pretty much everything that shows up for around $500/set is going to be your Chinese/Taiwanese stuff.

2012-11-12 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4493022

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland

mlanahan - 2012-11-10 2:31 PM They didn't put the time and the research in. They just ripped off the mold and making them in the same factories just like they are ripping off ipadsetc. manufacturers have no rights in regard to intellectual property in China. The biggest difference n quality is probably the hub.That being said, a lot of people around here and another group have had pretty good experience with them.

What makes you think they arent using the same molds? There are no knock off laws in China or Taiwan. These wheels are most likely made in the same exact factory as the expensive stuff. 

2012-11-12 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4494422

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

SpeedKnight - I feel politics and politicians have destroyed enough economy.  I leave both out of mine as much as I can.

While I understand your wishes, in reality that's kind of impossible.

Whether you buy a toothbrush, a steak, a bike, a beer, or gasoline, every single purchase you make has major political implications close to home and far away. Many say that how you vote with your money gives you far more power than how you vote at the ballot box. And your purchases affect political repression, jobs, globalization, logistics, work rules, environmental degradation, you name it. It's just unavoidable. If you live and consume (and we all do), you affect the people on this globe.

I can say this, we could make a lot more money if we outsourced the manufacture of our tri products to Chinese factories. And that choice was definitely available to us. But, we thought long and hard about it and decided that it is worth it to keep things local, in the USA.

The buck has gotta stop somewhere, so why not with us?

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2012-11-12 8:58 AM
2012-11-12 8:54 AM

over a barrier
I've been happy with my generic carbon tubulars from ehung-fu (from a recommendation from a friend/bt'er).

Transaction was easy. Several emails updating me on the status of shipment.
Received the rims and had them built up by a friend.

I've raced two full season of cyclocross on them without issue.....I've slammed into fencing/people/trees/the ground too many times to count. I've bottomed them out in ruts too many times.

I'm not sure where the paranoia comes from personally. Will probably get another set to run file trends next year.
2012-11-12 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4494638

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Grnfsh - 2012-11-12 8:42 AM

What makes you think they arent using the same molds? There are no knock off laws in China or Taiwan. These wheels are most likely made in the same exact factory as the expensive stuff. 

Actually, there are intellectual property laws in both China and Taiwan. They're just very selectively enforced.

Also, not knocking the wheels (they might be great, or ... not), but just because something is made in the same mold as another carbon composite item does not in any way mean that the copied item is similar. There are at least a thousand variables in carbon materials, modulus, weaves, lay-ups, epoxies, void reduction, curing methods, the list goes on and on ...

2012-11-12 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4494638

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Grnfsh - 2012-11-12 6:42 AM

mlanahan - 2012-11-10 2:31 PM They didn't put the time and the research in. They just ripped off the mold and making them in the same factories just like they are ripping off ipadsetc. manufacturers have no rights in regard to intellectual property in China. The biggest difference n quality is probably the hub.That being said, a lot of people around here and another group have had pretty good experience with them.

See my response on page 1 of this thread. Likely they ARE made in the same molds.

2012-11-12 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4494661

Master

running2far - 2012-11-12 8:54 AM I've been happy with my generic carbon tubulars from ehung-fu (from a recommendation from a friend/bt'er). Transaction was easy. Several emails updating me on the status of shipment. Received the rims and had them built up by a friend. I've raced two full season of cyclocross on them without issue.....I've slammed into fencing/people/trees/the ground too many times to count. I've bottomed them out in ruts too many times. I'm not sure where the paranoia comes from personally. Will probably get another set to run file trends next year.

X2

Although I think I might have been the one to point you to Hong Fu.

2012-11-12 10:07 AM

Elite
Laguna Beach

Their are significant differences in carbon fiber wheel construction from brand to band, not necessarily from region to region as some of the very best carbon fiber wheels are Asian and there are some marginal domestically produced ones.

Bottom line: Do your due dilligence when researching the product. That isn't always easy since many brands aren't very transparent about their sourcing and manufacturing. Usually, that is a clue...

The quality and technology leaders are transparent about their development, testing and quality. Zipp produces videos and cooperates with tech editors in providing insights into their design and manufacturing process. HED does too, same with Easton and Mavic. The better brands who actually do development and manufacturing spend a considerable time talking about it.

You can tell who the "sticker slappers" are who are simply branding a wheel or a bike. Even those are often good quality as the market cannot support really poor quality product.

Here are some import vendors I photographed recently and you can spot some familiar brand names in their booths:

2012-11-12 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4494693

Pro
DarkSpeedWorks - 2012-11-12 10:11 AM

Actually, there are intellectual property laws in both China and Taiwan. They're just very selectively enforced.

Also, not knocking the wheels (they might be great, or ... not), but just because something is made in the same mold as another carbon composite item does not in any way mean that the copied item is similar. There are at least a thousand variables in carbon materials, modulus, weaves, lay-ups, epoxies, void reduction, curing methods, the list goes on and on ...

This bugs me, for the reasons I stated. Developing intellectual property is expensive and these companies work hard to be best in class. I would not support any company that steals IP and illegally copies another product. If they are willing to do that, what other corners are they cutting?

2012-11-12 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4495124

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-11-12 10:49 AM

This bugs me, for the reasons I stated. Developing intellectual property is expensive and these companies work hard to be best in class. I would not support any company that steals IP and illegally copies another product. If they are willing to do that, what other corners are they cutting?

They start with the ones you can't see, and go from there.

2012-11-12 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4495124

BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-11-12 6:49 PM

They'll enforce them if the company with the intellectual property asks them to.  You've only got to go to the 'knock off' malls in Shenzhen to see that some brands are on show and some aren't.  Mind you, they're all there if you ask for them.

I sat through three hours of someone walking me through Chinese IP law in Shanghai, not three blocks away from a bricks and mortar shopping centre selling fake western goods.  So annoying.

The majority of IP cases in China are as a result of someone stealing someones idea before they've patented it and then patenting it themselves, then the original guy has to prove his case (and rarely can).

Innovation and creativity are sold at an immoral premium by Western super marketeers and then stolen, copied and sold to the Western brand loving Chinese abroad.

And you and I and all the other consumers are stuck in the middle with the worst deal of all.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chinese Carbon Rss Feed  

of 2