General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chlorine gas and swimming pools Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-13 3:15 AM

Subject: chlorine gas and swimming pools

Hi folks

Just wondering if any of you lot have suffered with lung irritation from chlorine gas?  Yesterday, I was in a 2 hour swimming session with the first hour there were 45 people in the pool and stirred up the water alot and caused the chlorine to be released (according to my swim coach).  

So how long does it take to recover?  As my lungs are still sore and I'm coughing loads today and the session was last night.  And should I seek medical help?

2012-11-13 4:31 AM
in reply to: #4495962

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: chlorine gas and swimming pools
Not recently but when I swam as a kid the old Y pool we swam in would sometimes have a fog of gas floating over the pool when we arrived at 5:30am.  It made for some nasty breathing at times but I don't recall the effects lasting more than a few hours.
2012-11-13 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Happened to me when I was training for my first 10k and did about 20k of swimming over one weekend.  I was hacking SO badly by the end of the weekend I almost couldn't get through a workout.  It was summer and on Sat and Sun the pool had been SO crowded with kids I was sure they'd dumped extra chlorine in. :D

Mine went away within a few days...never saw a doc.  And it's never happened again.  I'm not sure how long I'd give it, but at least a few days maybe?

2012-11-13 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

One would think the pool circulation system (or a wave pool) would stir it up more than any number of people could. 

2012-11-13 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Central France

This happens to me, too, and is a common problem among pool staff. It can take a few days to go away. If it happens on a regular basis see you doctor for a medical solution.

Now, I'm going to get on my soap box - sorry. This problem isn't due to the chlorine alone. It's largely due to the fact that much of what we have on our bodies (sweat, perfume, lotion, hair products ...) when we get into the pool combines with the chlorine to create chlorine gas which is an irritant (skin, sinuses, lungs ...). This is why many pools require people to shower before entering, though I'm not sure what percentage of swimmers actually soap up before getting in the pool.

2012-11-13 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4496993

User image

Pro
jaja63 - 2012-11-13 3:15 PM

This happens to me, too, and is a common problem among pool staff. It can take a few days to go away. If it happens on a regular basis see you doctor for a medical solution.

Now, I'm going to get on my soap box - sorry. This problem isn't due to the chlorine alone. It's largely due to the fact that much of what we have on our bodies (sweat, perfume, lotion, hair products ...) when we get into the pool combines with the chlorine to create chlorine gas which is an irritant (skin, sinuses, lungs ...). This is why many pools require people to shower before entering, though I'm not sure what percentage of swimmers actually soap up before getting in the pool.

Nothing to see here......move along.

2013-08-11 7:50 AM
in reply to: swimshuffle

Hi,

whatever happened with this? Did your lungs get better?

I am wondering if all my exposure to chlorine is effecting my lungs! Out swimming in the lake and it was VERY strange to hear myself wheeze! I've been swimming for years and this has NEVER been an issue until this summer -- I think the pool that I train in is VERY toxic.
2013-08-11 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Some pools are worse than others and the pain usually goes away after an hour or two. In 16 years of swimming I quit 2 races the firstvbecause my shoulder was hurting me and I had nationals 2 weeks later. The second was because of this type of thing. I could not get any air. It sucks because I was on sub 4:00 /400 pace.
2013-08-11 2:32 PM
in reply to: jaja63

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by jaja63

x2 The "chlorine" you smell is released when Chlorine reacts with "dirty" objects - such as humans (sweat, pee, dirt, saliva, um...feces...ew!). The more a pool smells like chlorine, the dirtier the pool is.
2013-08-11 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just curious if this happened to anyone else who was swimming that day. If not, maybe it's more of an allergic asthma reaction? As someone mentioned, pools differ in their chemicals and how well-ventilated they are; I've suffered asthma attacks and actually had to pull out of a few races in high school--always in the same one or two pools that somehow didn't seem as well-ventilated as others; have never had the problem in an outdoor pool or open water. I do have other asthma triggers--mold, dust--but attacks aren't all that common. Having a cold makes one more likely. So maybe it's some combo of a mild cold, asthma, and nasty pool air? If it hasn't cleared up in a few days I would see a doctor--if it is asthma you'd probably want to bring an inhaler to practice in case it happens again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chlorine gas and swimming pools Rss Feed