General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding Rollers or Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-14 11:14 PM

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa
Subject: Riding Rollers or Trainer

The unpredictable weather and daylight saving times is making it difficult to ride outside, so to keep my cycle fitness up without driving myself crazy at the gym, I'm thinking of indoor options where I can use my bike. 

Question: Is it hard to rid on rollers compared to riding on the road?  Is the balance about the same or harder than riding on the road?  (How about when clicking in and out of the pedals?)

Also: How loud are the rollers/trainers?  My apartment walls are thin, and sometimes I would like to work out before work as well.  Is it something that's too loud to do in an apartment complex?

2012-11-15 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4498850

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Riding Rollers or Trainer

There is definitely a learning curve to riding rollers. It is harder than riding outside. The usual recommendation is to start in a doorway so you don't fall over. Believe me you will fall over. Once you get the hang of it it really is super for balance and core.

My rollers are not loud nor is my trainer, but some can be.

2012-11-17 7:35 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Yes, riding rollers can be tricky and scary, but it will improve your riding skills where riding a trainer lets you get miles in and nothing more. Your balance and ability to track straight will improve, as well as your ability to pedal smoothly and "in circles" rather than choppy.
2012-11-18 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
I got used rollers on Craigslist for $50 and they are great. I can do up to 2 miles without tipping over. But my bike balance is so much better after just 2 hours on the rollers. I got a cycleops mag trainer and this is not Appartement friendly, the rollers though are very quiet.
2012-11-18 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I place fitness levels over bike handling in the winter, so I got a Lemond trainer. Loud is relative. I used a Concept II rowing ergometer in an apartment and nobody complained. One person thought I was on my deathbed and the Concept II was a respirator. The Lemond trainer is much quieter, so you shouldn't have amy complaints.
2012-11-19 12:14 PM

User image

The Heeb, UT

Ambient noise levels depend largely the type of resistance device utilized.  A fan unit (the traditional 'turbo trainer' will provide the most realistic resistance curve as wheel speed increases, but is exceptionally loud.  Mag trainers generally provide static resistance levels (unless it is of the centrifugal variety), and are generally somewhat quieter than wind units, but still rather loud.  Fluid trainers provide decent resistance, and are typically the quietest of the three.   Resistance units are most commonly used on trainers, but sometimes on rollers as well.  Rollers typically depend upon the rolling resistance of the wheels/unit, and the ambient noise is limited to your drivetrain/rotating wheels.

For apartment dwellers, it's worth noting that most of the noise generated will be in the form of vibrations going through the floor.  Even relatively quiet rollers or fluid trainers can make the floor resonate, driving downstairs residents without an affinity for cycling crazy (back in college, I had a good friend who lived in the dorm room above me - while I rather enjoyed the rhythmic sound of his daily spins on the rollers, my roommate would escape to the library whenever my buddy hopped on the bike).

2012-11-28 7:14 PM

Veteran
Niagara Region
I have rollers and a kinetic kurt rock and roll. Both are great, the rollers are FANTASTIC for technique and I like to use them for that and fitness but your attention really can't wander. So if you want a great workout with a more natural ride feel I love the kinetic kurt rock and roll. Just a side note I'm adding roller blade wheels to my roller so it's more like the emotion rollers for keeping the front wheel on.

If I could only have one I'd keep the rock and roll.
2012-12-02 9:53 AM

User image

I would be to scared to use rollers. Had a crash on my bike in Aug. and injured my shoulder which still has not healed all the way. Still hurts one I move my arm certain  ways. I do not what to risk hurting my shoulder more.
2012-12-03 7:48 PM

Veteran
Niagara Region
Just remember if you fall off the rollers it's not like falling off on the road. You have no forward momentum all the really happens is your wheel stops, worst case you might fall over but just put it in a doorway to learn. Many people think you take off flying but that doesn't happen.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding Rollers or Trainer Rss Feed