General Discussion Race Reports! » That Dam Lake Texoma 5K Bi-State Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

That Dam Lake Texoma 5K Bi-State Run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denison, Texas
United States
Pottsboro Kids Club
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 58s
Overall Rank = 7/185
Age Group = 40/49
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Early to the finish area, packet pick up and socialize a little Watched the sun rise over the lake and the fog clear
Event warmup:

jogged across the dam, basically ran the course backwards instead of taking the shuttle
Run
  • 21m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

A unique race, a nice way to show off the areas primary attraction. I feel like this lake and area could host a triathlon is someone were so inclined.
What would you do differently?:

Well I got my PR and broke 22:00-barely. I guess secretly I wanted to shatter that barrier, not slip under by 2 seconds but I got it. Learning to hold a very hard pace for a sustained time, the age old pacing problem. A 6:32 start is nice but maybe holding a consistent 6:50 would have been smarter?
Post race
Warm down:

same-it was a cool morning so it didnt take long, hung around for awards and waited for the shuttles to return my warm up jacket and pants that I had wore when I ran across the dam and stashed on the buss

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my PR and one of my goals was met so I guess nothing. I ran with a kid who won his age group-I should thank him, had he not been there I might have been alone for over a mile with a large gap ahead and behind me which might have slowed me down-chasing him down, running with him, then passing him gave me something to do till the finish line finally arrived

Event comments:

Fun place, fun people, I have been racing locally long enough to start knowing people and making connections so it is less lonely than it used to be.

Last updated: 2012-10-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:58 | 03.11 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 7/185
Performance:
I used strava on my phone to track the splits, had to start it early and shove the phone in my pocket then dig it out when it is over to stop it; 6:32, 7:07, 7:03, 6:28 +/-
Course: A very simple, flat and fast course from a campsight entrance on the Oklahoma side, across the dam, which is very slightly down hill toward Texas then finish with a steep down hill toward the boat ramp on the Texas side. The dam is over a mile long and exposed with few land marks. There were no distance markings-this was sort of a psychological issue-you can see the finish for almost the entire race but it is hard to know where you are in distance and pace. I hope my new Garmin will arrive soon and prove helpful
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-11-17 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: That Dam Lake Texoma 5K Bi-State Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » That Dam Lake Texoma 5K Bi-State Run Rss Feed