General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit in Memphis or Nashville? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-19 4:49 PM

Jackson, Tn
Subject: Bike fit in Memphis or Nashville?

I currently live in Jackson, Tn and have been wanted to get re-fitted on my TT bike.  I was fitted when I purchased it, but I've always felt like they cut some corners and didn't spend the time with me that they should have.  So here's my two questions.

1. I know there are some bike-fitting "systems" like Retul and FIST, but I don't know much at all about them.  What are the advantages to these over someone at a LBS doing their own fit?  Are they really more reliable.

2.  Being that I live in Jackson, I'm within easy driving distance of Memphis and Nashville.  Does anyone have any recommendations for LBS's to try out?  I have a Cervelo, but I wouldn't think they'd have to be a dealer to do the fitting, but it could be helpful I guess.  I just moved to Tenn about 6mos ago, so any advice on some bike shops in this area would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

2012-11-19 6:25 PM
in reply to: #4504077

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Bike fit in Memphis or Nashville?

It's kinda confusing, but from a terminology perspective they are two totally different things. 

Retul is a technology that incorporates a bunch of cool data points into the process to track your angles and leg movements.  That being said, if the fitter doesn't know what he is doing, then the technology is lost on the person.  So think of retul as just a tool for them to use. 

FIST on the other hand is pretty much a universal philosophy for fitting people on tri bikes.  It is embeded in the notion that one should place the rider in an optimal position in relation to the bike's geometry.  It has a long history of measuring the stack and reach of the bike and then fitting the rider. 

That being said, a FIST certified fitter, may use Retul (or dartfish) to help be more precise.   They may not.  I have been fit on about 10 different bikes and used both.  In the end, I would take a great fitter over any technology. 

Recommendations:  I hear good things from Todd Nordemeyer @ Endeavor Performance.  He is in Nashville. 

And you are correct, you can go anywhere to get a fit.  It doesn't need to be a Cervelo dealer.  And I would assume (might be wrong) but most fitters are certified...probably by FIST

2012-11-28 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
I hear good things from Todd Nordemeyer @ Endeavor Performance. He is in Nashville.

I would highly recommend him I just got it done and well worth the money.
Tell him christopher konecny sent you
2012-11-29 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

I was also going to mention Nordemeyer.  He doesn't own a bike shop but rather a cycling studio/coaching business.

He has Retul on hand and I am sure he uses it well.

2012-11-30 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4514973

Jackson, Tn

Sounds like its pretty unanimous.  Guess I'll be giving Todd a call and try to make a trip over to Nashville - always nice to have an excuse for that!  Wife should be pretty happy too.  Thanks for all the advice from everyone.  I'll report back after the fit and let you know how it goes.  Thanks!

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit in Memphis or Nashville? Rss Feed