General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First/My Next Triathlon, Lake Chelan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-23 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: My First/My Next Triathlon, Lake Chelan
There has been ongoing controvercy surrounding the race organizer Brent Kamenka from World Endurance Sports and this race in Lake Chelan. I have been following what has been going on via the Seattle Triathlon Club website. Apparently, Mr. Kamenka has been declined the permits to put on the race but he is still collecting money and allowing registration on his website http://www.tri101.com. Mr. Kamenka has been permanently denied USAT and Triathlon Canada sanctioning. I have heard a lot of stories about the races this guy has put on and almost all of them have been negative. I know that there are some people on this site who have already signed up and are planning on doing this race. The race will still be put on but not by World Endurance Sports. The course may be slightly altered but it will still be geared towards beginners so expect the course to reflect that. Here are some good links that have information.

http://www.lakechelan.com/612.html
http://www.seatri.org/community/showthread.php?p=3739#post3739

2006-06-26 5:58 PM
in reply to: #464199

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: My First/My Next Triathlon, Lake Chelan
Thank you.. I was looking at doing the 1/2 Ironman, but was waiting to hear what the story was...
2006-06-28 10:01 AM

User image

Pro
HERE IS AN EMAIL I RECEIVED FROM CHELAN ABOUT THE UPCOMING RACES!

Lake Chelan Triathlon Participants;

There has been lots of discussion regarding the status of the World Endurance Sports Triathlons scheduled for July 8th through July 19th. As of today, World Endurance Sports does not have authorization to use the City parks or School District property for the races. The Chamber Board has decided not to partner with World Endurance Sports. We are very interested in having the all Tri-athletes and their friends and family come to Lake Chelan and have a great time regardless of the status of the triathlons. The Chamber has decided to;
Not attempt to put on triathlon races if the World Endurance Sports races are cancelled. We don not believe we can put on a safe quality event with the 2 week lead time.
Provide a special 'Lake Chelan Fun' Coupon book for registered participants with special discounts.
Coordinate 'informal' bike rides along the south shore and north shore of Lake Chelan passing several local wineries and points of interest.
Work with local Bike Club to coordinate Mountain Bike rides at Echo Ridge
Coordinate a Fun Run for registered participants on July 8th and July 15th if the Triathlons do not occur on those dates.
Start plans for Lake Chelan Triathlons for June 2007 and late September / early October 2007 working with a local race organizer.
Regardless of the status of the triathlons there are lots of fun activities at Lake Chelan in mid July, including First Friday celebration, July 7th, Family Fest - July 8th, Bach Fest - July 8th through 15th, Riverwalk Park Concert with Alice Stuart - July 21st, the Chelan Rodeo - July 21st and 22nd, and the Paperboy's Concert on July 22nd. Information and these and other events is available on our web site.

Again, thank you for your interest in the Lake Chelan Triathlons. We will keep information updated on the our web site www.lakechelan.com. If you have questions please contact the Chamber office.

Dan Hodge
Executive Director
Lake Chelan Chamber of Commerce
& Visitor Information Center
[email protected]
www.lakechelan.com
1-800-4CHELAN(424-3526)
or (509) 682-3503
Fax: 509-682-3538
2006-07-05 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE GOING THROUGH W/ THE SPRINT RACES! THE CHAMBER IS GOING TO PUT THEM ON.. I WAS IN CHELAN THIS PAST WEEKEND AND READ SOMETHING IN THE CHELAN MIRROR ABOUT IT! They are saying that if the race doesn't go through the chamber is afraid people will think Chelan is not a "well orgainzed town"
2006-07-10 11:09 AM

User image

Pro
I was in Chelan this weekend. THEY ARE DOING THESE RACES! It sounds like they may be put on by the Chamber of Commerce.
2006-07-10 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
I just checked the Seatri website and the races did/are going to be put on by WES as long as they follow the safety and security guidelines outlined by the chamber.

It sounds like (at least according to this participant) the race was an "utter disaster".

http://www.seatri.org/community/showthread.php?t=1365

2006-07-13 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
The saga continues! I have just heard that the permits for WES have been revoked again! Apparently the race director did not comply with the agreement with the Chamber to provide sufficient support during the race to ensure safety of the participants.

2006-07-14 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
ALL TRIATHLONS SCHEDULED TO TAKE PLACE IN CHELAN PUT ON BY WES ARE OFFICALLY CANCELLED!!! Apparently there was a near drowning this week by a participant trying to run the course but knew the tri was cancelled. They are planning on putting on the races next year but not organized by WES.
2006-07-14 1:01 PM

User image

Wow - this sucks. Sorry you have to miss the race.

I did their "My first triathlon" last year in Parksville, BC and it was a gong show. There weren't any safety issues, but the rest of it was so unorganized - Lack of marshalls, massively late start times (turning the swim into an aquajog because the tide went out!), crappy timing, no photographs (which was promised).... ugh!
2006-07-16 3:36 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
I saw that story in the B-ham paper the other day.  They ran the first race against the wishes of the law, and the next day or so, the Deputies showed up to prevent the other race.... Bummer for the Triathletes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First/My Next Triathlon, Lake Chelan Rss Feed